AVS Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 2371 Posts

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I have always enjoyed the conversations among members here on the AVS TV forum. But lately, member comments have become so deeply buried beneath reposts of, apparently, every article published about TV anywhere on the Internet -- both here in the News topic (where one might expect to find them) and in all the individual show topics (which tend to repeat everything posted here) -- that the experience has become unpleasant and unproductive for me.

The new software's broken email notification system isn't helping.

So I guess it's time to back away. I'll check back from time to time and see if anything changes.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have always enjoyed the conversations among members here on the AVS TV forum. But lately, member comments have become so deeply buried beneath reposts of, apparently, every article published about TV anywhere on the Internet -- both here in the News topic (where one might expect to find them) and in all the individual show topics (which tend to repeat everything posted here) -- that the experience has become unpleasant and unproductive for me.

The new software's broken email notification system isn't helping.

So I guess it's time to back away. I'll check back from time to time and see if anything changes.
I agree with this. The posting of seemingly every single article that mentions the topic is excessive. I do have Google News alerts set for things in my life that are important to me, but threads like this one feel as if a bot has taken over.

·
Registered
28,060 Posts
Yeah, have to agree. William does a great job of alerting us to new shows, but we don't need the same article repeated 3 times -- once in HOTP, then again in the network thread, then again in the dedicated show thread. We also don't need every single article that mentions a show or a topic anywhere on the 'net posted here. This forum is getting bogged down with article glut.

·
Registered
20,284 Posts
I agree with this. The posting of seemingly every single article that mentions the topic is excessive. I do have Google News alerts set for things in my life that are important to me, but threads like this one feel as if a bot has taken over.
Where do you draw the line? 2 articles a day? Which articles if there are say 5? 1 article a week? Some think it is over kill, some think it is not enough, some think they will just scroll past those they are not interested in and enjoy the updates.

I wish there were more rules around posting an article/video about a show, do you post it in the show thread, the streaming thread, the channel thread (e.g. a show on amazon)? Do we post in both/multiple until the show is released? Do we only post things in a show thread and leave the streaming/channel thread for things that don't have its own thread? Seems like there are a lot of double posting. Not sure where the line is or what is needed so I admit I do contribute to that too.

·
Registered
20,284 Posts
Yeah, have to agree. William does a great job of alerting us to new shows, but we don't need the same article repeated 3 times -- once in HOTP, then again in the network thread, then again in the dedicated show thread. We also don't need every single article that mentions a show or a topic anywhere on the 'net posted here. This forum is getting bogged down with article glut.
I will stop the double posts between the streaming and the show thread and just put it in the show thread and leave the streaming/channel thread for anything that cannot be covered in a show thread (the news thread, I am just trying to help Dad out as requested so there will be double in there for a while until he gets back). I can't speak to other posters though and what they will do.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
For the streaming platform threads, I like seeing posts about new shows/movies (official trailer) or major updates about highly anticipated shows (renewals/cancellations, big casting announcements, showrunner changes, controversies/scandals impacting production, etc.), but I really don't need to see every featurette, interview, Zoom panel, etc., related to the show. If I'm a big fan of that particular show, I'll seek that out elsewhere.

·
Registered
28,060 Posts
One of the things Dad does so well is curating the content of the HOTP thread. He's able to sift through all the chaff and post only the articles that would be of the most interest to the members. He kind of has a gift for it. So did Fred before him, who established that template. That's where Dad learned the technique of "less is more", I'm guessing. Otherwise, it would just be overwhelming, and people would stop going there.

I like a visit to the AVS Programming Forum to be a relatively quick-hitter. I can scan the show threads for the stuff I'm interested in, read a few quick articles or watch a trailer or something, then get back to my day. I suspect most of us are like that.

·
Registered
20,284 Posts
One of the things Dad does so well is curating the content of the HOTP thread. He's able to sift through all the chaff and post only the articles that would be of the most interest to the members. He kind of has a gift for it. So did Fred before him, who established that template. That's where Dad learned the technique of "less is more", I'm guessing. Otherwise, it would just be overwhelming, and people would stop going there.

I like a visit to the AVS Programming Forum to be a relatively quick-hitter. I can scan the show threads for the stuff I'm interested in, read a few quick articles or watch a trailer or something, then get back to my day. I suspect most of us are like that.
Just trying to help him as he requested. I don't envy him that is for sure, takes a lot of work going through all the sites looking for articles and posting them. He will be back soon.

·
Registered
19,411 Posts
Dad1153 that keeps the Hot Off The Press thread updated. He is on vacation and asked for help keeping the thread updated.
Interesting. Never visited that thread.

Edit: Perused that thread. It's not for me. Not a fan of the overly large, red and bolded font. Plus too much I'm not interested in. Think I'll stick to the rivers and lakes I'm used to.😉

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Where do you draw the line? 2 articles a day? Which articles if there are say 5? 1 article a week? Some think it is over kill, some think it is not enough, some think they will just scroll past those they are not interested in and enjoy the updates.

I wish there were more rules around posting an article/video about a show, do you post it in the show thread, the streaming thread, the channel thread (e.g. a show on amazon)? Do we post in both/multiple until the show is released? Do we only post things in a show thread and leave the streaming/channel thread for things that don't have its own thread? Seems like there are a lot of double posting. Not sure where the line is or what is needed so I admit I do contribute to that too.
My honest answer is zero. A general news thread for this section of the forum (HDTV Programing) is one thing, but these threads for individual shows/networks/providers are a different animal entirely. It's one things for individual members to post relevant news items, but the way it is done by some makes it feels less organic and more like some automated process by a bot. I don't mean that as an insult. It's surely not the intention of those who are doing it. It just feels (to me) like it's crossed over unintentionally into feeling very spam-like. If nothing else, it completely interrupt the flow of conversations when they occur and I wouldn't be all that surprised if it even discouraged people from having discussions. I know it has caused me to tune out certain threads.

·
Registered
20,284 Posts
Message received guys. My bad. I will backoff on posting so much so you guys don't have a bad experience on the forum you love. Will not post as many articles and such and I will definitely stop the double posting (except for maybe an article or two from HOTP until Dad comes back) but no more in the show, the streaming, etc. Hopefully others that post on here too will follow suit. More discussions, less articles sounds good to me. Things will get back to normal. Again, sorry for the overkill.

·
Registered
20,284 Posts
Inside ‘Justice League’ with the Cinematographer Who Shot and Fought for Zack Snyder’s Version

Fabian Wagner on being the first to bash the theatrical version, visiting Whedon’s set, and a potential “GoT” reunion with Miguel Sapochnik.

Chris O'Falt

·
Registered
20,284 Posts

·
Registered
28,060 Posts
Don't tell your wives/significant others:

‘Magic Mike’ Unscripted Competition Series Ordered At HBO Max With EPs Channing Tatum & Steven Soderbergh
By Peter White

Where do I sign up? Finally, a reality show that plays to my strengths - my Adonis like body and incredible dance skills!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Message received guys. My bad. I will backoff on posting so much so you guys don't have a bad experience on the forum you love. Will not post as many articles and such and I will definitely stop the double posting (except for maybe an article or two from HOTP until Dad comes back) but no more in the show, the streaming, etc. Hopefully others that post on here too will follow suit. More discussions, less articles sounds good to me. Things will get back to normal. Again, sorry for the overkill.
The many posts (yours and others) don't bother me. I'm only here a few minutes a day, and it's easy to scroll through. I just scroll past things that don't interest me. For example, I have no interest in comics book films, like Justice League. There have been many, many posts discussing the latest version. But, I just keep on scrollin'. It doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
20,284 Posts
Where do I sign up? Finally, a reality show that plays to my strengths - my Adonis like body and incredible dance skills!
You will need to submit a video to this forum demonstrating these incredible dance skills (clothes stay on please) and we will judge and let you know if you should apply.

2301 - 2320 of 2371 Posts