AVS Forum banner

2681 - 2700 of 2798 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
We watched a few episodes of Hacks last night via Apple TV. They seem to have fixed two problems I encountered last week

We watched a few episodes of Hacks last night. They seem to have fixed these two issues.
That's good to hear.

That's good to hear?

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
No Sudden Move | Official Trailer | HBO Max

From Academy Award-winning director Steven Soderbergh and starring Don Cheadle, Benicio del Toro, David Harbour, Ray Liotta, Jon Hamm, Brendan Fraser, Kieran Culkin, Amy Seimetz and Julia Fox...streaming on HBO Max July 1st...

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Reactions: WilliamR

·
Registered
22,257 Posts
Hacks star Hannah Einbinder recalls the moment 'sparks flew' with costar Jean Smart

The stand-up talks to EW about meeting the "classiest woman on planet Earth," her main goal in working with the Emmy winner, and why she’s "sick of hack s---" from comedians.

By Gerrad Hall

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

·
Registered
19,720 Posts
So, the 'crackerjack' development team will be laser focused on Apple TV updates while Fire TV / Android TV users will be stuck with broken Dolby Vision support for the foreseeable future. Just great!!
Lol. They're in the Maldives right now congratulating themselves on such a flawless and bug free app. Might be awhile before they tackle this.😆

Reactions: blade005

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I read that on Apple TV one of the big issues is that they broke away from the Apple TV player API with the update to use their own player controls. I wonder if that has to do with how they need to track and treat advertising, now that it is an available tier?
Yeah, ditching the native Apple TV player is the source of almost all this latest update's problems on that platform. And yes, I would guess it was done so they could accommodate ads on the new tier. But the thing is, you can still have ads and use the native Apple TV player. Hulu (the company that Jason Kilar used to be CEO of) does just that. IDK, perhaps the native player doesn't allow for certain ad-related things, though, such as pause screen ads (assuming that's something that HBO Max with ads does)?

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I just ordered another AppleTV 2021 from Amazon which I will NOT update out of the box this time and I'll turn off the auto updates. The one I ordered from the Apple store online, I'm returning back to the Apple store. I read if you don't update the software and turn off auto updates HBOmax will work as it is supposed too. At some point, HBO will correct these current issues with ATV 2021, but who knows how long that will take?

I bought a new Sony TV back last November and I'm still waiting for an update fix on a few issues that they sold the TV with a disclaimer certain features will be available after a software update and now I read maybe by the end of the year. These companies should not be selling these devices with vaporware until they have installed the correct software and updates which works with the features you are paying for when you purchase the item. These are not software bug fixes. They are selling TV's with features we are paying for that they have not even designed the software for yet!

Update on how long these companies can take to correct software issue: Someone just posted a link to Sony finally correcting their HDMI CEC bug which connected devices don't power off correctly. BUT it was only for their 2016-2020 TV's. That "5" years. Of course my TV is a 2020 which was not included in the software fix and I have this CEC bug!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Yeah, ditching the native Apple TV player is the source of almost all this latest update's problems on that platform. And yes, I would guess it was done so they could accommodate ads on the new tier.
They changed up the player controls on Fire TV / Android TV devices with the update as well. The results aren't broken controls like on Apple TV, but previously you could use the wheel control on a Fire TV remote to advance the video stream on a frame-by-frame basis with thumbnail pics to land exactly where you wished. After the update the same action now advances or rewinds in 15 second increments with far less control. Anyone on a more expensive commercial-free tier gets an 'updated' app with less player control to accommodate their desire for a cheaper ad-supported tier. That seems customer focused to me......... :mad:

Reactions: Expidia

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
after hearing about all the issues after the latest update on the ATV 4K I tested it out myself...4K/Dolby Vision is not working, touchpad controls don't work

·
Registered
22,257 Posts

·
Registered
22,257 Posts
Kevin Hart, Keanu Reeves, Vanessa Bayer, John Krasinski, Diego Luna & Natasha Lyonne Join ‘DC League of Super-Pets’

By Anthony D'Alessandro

Dwayne Johnson has just unveiled the voiceover cast for the upcoming animated DC movie. This includes Kevin Hart, Keanu Reeves, Vanessa Bayer, John Krasinski, Diego Luna and Natasha Lyonne. None of their roles were disclosed, except that Hart will be the voiceover of Ace.

http://instagr.am/p/CP3W_BDlW61/

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
We watched a few episodes of Hacks last night via Apple TV. They seem to have fixed two problems I encountered last week

We watched a few episodes of Hacks last night. They seem to have fixed these two issues.
Correction! I am sorry to inform you that using Siri to turn on/off subtitles still doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
They changed up the player controls on Fire TV / Android TV devices with the update as well. The results aren't broken controls like on Apple TV, but previously you could use the wheel control on a Fire TV remote to advance the video stream on a frame-by-frame basis with thumbnail pics to land exactly where you wished. After the update the same action now advances or rewinds in 15 second increments with far less control. Anyone on a more expensive commercial-free tier gets an 'updated' app with less player control to accommodate their desire for a cheaper ad-supported tier. That seems customer focused to me......... :mad:
Yeah, I remember using the Android TV app on my parents' Chromecast with Google TV. Although it did offer frame-by-frame advance, I didn't like that it lacked the ability to jump back/forward 15 seconds. The 15-sec (or 10-sec) jump back is something I do a lot in instances where I missed something someone said.

On the updated app for Fire TV and Android TV, can you navigate to the on-screen playback timeline and manually advance the playhead frame-by-frame that way? Or does that just do 15 sec. increments too?

·
Registered
22,257 Posts
Sesame Workshop’s First Documentary Series ‘Through Our Eyes’ Examines Social Issues With Kids’ Perspective’ Premiere Date Set
By Greg Evans

Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit behind Sesame Street and other award-winning educational programming, will unveil its first documentary series this July, when Through Our Eyes premieres on HBO Max.

Through Our Eyes, described by the Workshop as spotlighting “the perspectives of children as they experience some of the most challenging issues facing families today – homelessness, parental incarceration, military caregiving, and climate displacement,” debuts Thursday, July 22.

In four 30-minute films designed for adults and as a co-viewing experience for kids ages 9 and older, Through Our Eyes will be directed by award-winning and award-nominated filmmakers, several of whom have explored their episode’s topic through previous work. The series is produced by Sesame Workshop.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
On the updated app for Fire TV and Android TV, can you navigate to the on-screen playback timeline and manually advance the playhead frame-by-frame that way? Or does that just do 15 sec. increments too?
Same if you are in the playback timeline or not. 15 seconds FWD and 15 seconds RWD is all you get with the updated app. Not catastrophic, just nitpicky that you can't have both. I would prefer if Amazon offered up a 'rewind' button on the remote like Roku that triggered a 15 second rewind and turned on CC to pick up missed dialogue. But, that ain't happening. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
Hacks Renewed for Season 2

Premiering last month on HBO Max, Hacks “has been a top performer on the platform since its debut, consistently ranking in the top ten most viewed titles out of all available content,” the streamer declares...it’s also won considerable critical acclaim...

2681 - 2700 of 2798 Posts