AVS Forum banner

2701 - 2720 of 2798 Posts

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
HBO Max is still broken (Apple TV 4K)...4K Dolby Vision not working for any title...didn't they test the newest update before releasing it?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
HBO Max is still broken (Apple TV 4K)...4K Dolby Vision not working for any title...didn't they test the newest update before releasing it?
Not sure if this update fixes Dolby Vision support as well as returning to the native tvOS player. Seems like the big issues for users were with broken player control issues. Dolby Vision support is also broken with a recent update to the HBO Max app on Fire TV and Android TV devices. I hope they don't get lost with this focus on fixing all the Apple TV issues.

HBO Max update fixes the worst of its Apple TV woes

Reactions: TitusTroy

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
Not sure if this update fixes Dolby Vision support as well as returning to the native tvOS player. Seems like the big issues for users were with broken player control issues. Dolby Vision support is also broken with a recent update to the HBO Max app on Fire TV and Android TV devices. I hope they don't get lost with this focus on fixing all the Apple TV issues.
I just checked and everything is working properly again on the ATV...4K/Dolby Vision, touchpad etc...(y)

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I just checked and everything is working properly again on the ATV...4K/Dolby Vision, touchpad etc...(y)
Confirmed.
Good. (y)

Maybe they can redeploy that crackerjack squad of developers to fix the Dolby Vision support they broke on Fire TV and Android TV devices. 🤞

Reactions: allargon

·
Registered
22,257 Posts
'Hacks' is the best comedy you're probably not watching

The best HBO series of the year (so far) isn't "Mare of Easttown," though the Kate Winslet-starring thriller about murder and family in a hardscrabble Pennsylvania town may have dominated entertainment headlines this spring.

In truth, that title belongs to "Hacks," the whip-smart, biting, and thoroughly satisfying comedy that's streaming on HBO Max and quietly emerged as one of the most surprising, thoughtful series you'll see this year.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Good. (y)

Maybe they can redeploy that crackerjack squad of developers to fix the Dolby Vision support they broke on Fire TV and Android TV devices. 🤞
I should have been more clear. I can't do 4k or DV. I can only confirm that they reverted back to using Apple OS and my two issues (Up Next and Siri subtitles) were fixed.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I should have been more clear. I can't do 4k or DV. I can only confirm that they reverted back to using Apple OS and my two issues (Up Next and Siri subtitles) were fixed.
@TitusTroy reported a few posts up (Post # 2,704) that they have 4K and DV back as well on the ATV. Unless you meant that you can't test 4K and Dolby Vision. (y)

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
I enjoyed this it captured the flavor of the neighborhood. The DV presentation is good.
it's getting excellent reviews from critics as well...I plan on checking it out...I live in Manhattan and it looks like Washington Heights and the Latin culture are well represented in the movie

·
Registered
22,257 Posts

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I watched a few minutes of In the Heights on my Roku Ultra. The DV picture looked very good although it seemed just a wee bit soft at times but no biggie. The Atmos audio was also good. It will run on HBO Max through July 11th and them continues its theatrical run. I hope that it does well in the theaters. After Disney Plus got Hamilton there has been a bit of a revival of musicals on TV and in movie theaters. The Prom in late 2020 and now In the Heights are only the start. The movie version of Dear Evan Hansen hits theaters in September ( a great live show). The original Broadway cast of Come From Away, one of the best shows that I've ever seen, assembled at the Longacre Theater and, a la Hamilton, taped a live performance (or like Hamilton three, two with audiences and one without to get close camera shots) that will be streamed on Apple TV in September in honor of 9/11 which is at the heart of of the show's story. Then, in December, it's the highly anticipated Steven Spielberg's West Side Story. There are apparently more musicals coming in the next few years, including. possibly. Wicked. I've seen a lot of these shows but having them memorialized as taped live performances or movie adaptations warms this old theater geek's heart.

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
I watched a few minutes of In the Heights on my Roku Ultra. The DV picture looked very good although it seemed just a wee bit soft at times but no biggie. The Atmos audio was also good. It will run on HBO Max through July 11th and them continues its theatrical run. I hope that it does well in the theaters. After Disney Plus got Hamilton there has been a bit of a revival of musicals on TV and in movie theaters. The Prom in late 2020 and now In the Heights are only the start. The movie version of Dear Evan Hansen hits theaters in September ( a great live show). The original Broadway cast of Come From Away, one of the best shows that I've ever seen, assembled at the Longacre Theater and, a la Hamilton, taped a live performance (or like Hamilton three, two with audiences and one without to get close camera shots) that will be streamed on Apple TV in September in honor of 9/11 which is at the heart of of the show's story. Then, in December, it's the highly anticipated Steven Spielberg's West Side Story. There are apparently more musicals coming in the next few years, including. possibly. Wicked. I've seen a lot of these shows but having them memorialized as taped live performances or movie adaptations warms this old theater geek's heart.
we're also seeing a good amount of live musicals on network television over the past few years- Rent, Annie, Jesus Christ Superstar etc

2701 - 2720 of 2798 Posts