AVS Forum banner

2721 - 2740 of 2798 Posts

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
we're also seeing a good amount of live musicals on network television over the past few years- Rent, Annie, Jesus Christ Superstar etc
The results of those have been somewhat mixed but just the fact that NBC and Fox, in particular, have committed to live musicals is a big plus. Of, course,there was Smash which, while taking a lot dramatic liberties, did actually give glimpses of how a Broadway show gets created. It did have a very talented cast and a lot of Broadway dancers and performers got to show their stuff on national TV.

·
Registered
22,261 Posts
‘Aquaman 2’ Director James Wan Reveals Title for DC Movie Sequel

Be careful you don’t get ‘lost’ looking for it

“Aquaman” director James Wan has revealed the title to the upcoming sequel starring Jason Momoa in an Instagram post.

“The tide is rising,” Wan said.

“Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” will open on Dec. 16, 2022.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I've seen a lot of these shows but having them memorialized as taped live performances or movie adaptations warms this old theater geek's heart.
we're also seeing a good amount of live musicals on network television over the past few years- Rent, Annie, Jesus Christ Superstar etc
I wonder how much their subscriber base grew since the pandemic shut down Broadway?

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I've been a Broadway HD subscriber for two years now and have found it to be worthwhile investment. It has shows from Broadway, The West End, Shakespeare from the UK and some classic movie musicals like Hedwig and Flower Drum Song. It also has a bunch of BBC shows from the "Play That Goes Wrong" crew that are downright hilarious.

·
Registered
22,261 Posts
The director of 'In The Heights' expected Marc Anthony to be a 'movie star diva' but was blown away by the singer's brief yet powerful cameo appearance

'In The Heights' director named his son after the movie because he 'fell in love' with the Washington Heights neighborhood during filming

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
'Tom and Jerry in New York' Animated Series Debuting on HBO Max in July

This adventure comedy follows the iconic cat and mouse duo as they settle into their new digs at the Royal Gate Hotel and unleash mayhem across the big city, inciting hilarious chaos uptown, downtown, and everywhere their manic escapades take them...

·
Registered
22,261 Posts
Watch Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jon M. Chu lead an emotional conversation with the cast of In the Heights

"I feel like I've been waiting all my life for all of you," Miranda told his costars and director during EW's Around the Table series.

·
Registered
22,261 Posts
HBO Max’s Ad Plan: 5 Key Takeaways

By Todd Spangler

Over its nearly five-decade history, HBO has never run commercials. Now WarnerMedia, in a bid to maximize its streaming base, has rolled out a cheaper version of HBO Max with ads — $9.99 monthly, 33% less than the regular $14.99 no-ads plan. The company promises that it will feel as deluxe as any advertising can be, representing the lowest-clutter service pushing onto the streaming battlefield. Here are five key takeaways from its latest streaming play.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
We watched In the Heights last night and all I can say is WOW! It may be the best adaptation of a Broadway show to film that I've seen. At the very least it's tied with Into the Woods. The performances were letter perfect. Anthony Ramos had Lin-Manuel Miranda's style and cadence down and was terrific. The woman were all strong and Olga Merediz who reprises her role in the original Broadway cast and was Tony nominated, has a number that could get her an Oscar nod as well. John Chu's direction, Alice Brooks' cinematography and Chrs Scott's choreography are spot on. The movie is a pure joy. I read a report from someone who saw it in a IMAX theater and he said that there was crying and cheering. That's what happened when we saw Into the Woods and it's the mark of a successful adaptation.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
'Hacks' is the best comedy you're probably not watching

The best HBO series of the year (so far) isn't "Mare of Easttown," though the Kate Winslet-starring thriller about murder and family in a hardscrabble Pennsylvania town may have dominated entertainment headlines this spring.

In truth, that title belongs to "Hacks," the whip-smart, biting, and thoroughly satisfying comedy that's streaming on HBO Max and quietly emerged as one of the most surprising, thoughtful series you'll see this year.

Watched the first two episodes of Hacks last night thanks to the posts in this thread, and really enjoyed it. I've seen lots of really good comedies on various streamers of late: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest on AppleTV+, Girls5Ever and We Are Lady Parts on Peacock, Younger on Paramount+, and now this. Good times.

·
Registered
22,261 Posts
Watched the first two episodes of Hacks last night thanks to the posts in this thread, and really enjoyed it. I've seen lots of really good comedies on various streamers of late: Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest on AppleTV+, Girls5Ever and We Are Lady Parts on Peacock, Younger on Paramount+, and now this. Good times.
That is why we do it!

Mythic Quest, man I wish that had more buzz/press, just one of the best comedies out there, and in a long time.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Mythic Quest, man I wish that had more buzz/press, just one of the best comedies out there, and in a long time.
One plus of being on Apple TV+ is that it will likely have a longer run than it might have been given on other services that seem afflicted with quarterly subscriber deficit syndrome. (y)

Reactions: WilliamR

·
Registered
22,261 Posts

·
Registered
22,261 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yeah, Hacks is great! Another HBO Max comedy on my list to watch is The Other Two, which gets raves. (First season was on Comedy Central but it's becoming a Max Original with season 2 coming up.)

I'm just getting into Apple TV+ now. I've watched the first ep of Trying and it was pretty good. Going to watch Ted Lasso, of course, since the whole world seems to love it (and I'm a Jason Sudeikis fan anyway). Started Girls5Eva (first Peacock Original I've watched, I think) but not sure I'll stick with it.

For anyone interested, I was surprised to notice last night that the entire series of Younger, including the series finale that just debuted last night, is on Hulu (the regular base tier). So I guess Hulu shares that series with Paramount+.

2721 - 2740 of 2798 Posts