AVS Forum banner

761 - 780 of 813 Posts

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
I watched the West Wing reunion last night and, leaving politics aside, really enjoyed watching the cast step right back into their respective rolls after so many years. It was essentially an expanded table reading of a single episode that was done in a theater. It was written by Aaron Sorkin and directed by Thomas Schlamme, the West Wing originals.
The restaging was well done, but watching it again just reminded me that the plot of that episode doesn't make any damn sense. Through the whole thing, the characters behave like Hartsfield's Landing is the start of the general election and could determine the outcome of Bartlett's presidency, yet it was stated early on that they're voting in the Democratic Primary. As a popular incumbent, Bartlett would have had only nominal opposition for the party nomination, if any at all. (As I recall from the original airing, he'd already knocked out his chief Democrat rival earlier in the season.)

The entire subplot about Donna calling the family who were planning to vote Republican (which verges on harassment, coercion, and even bribery) is complete nonsense. You can't vote for the other party during a primary!

This is really basic civics, and I can't believe Aaron Sorkin got it so fundamentally wrong. Supposedly, he even tweaked the script for this reunion, yet didn't fix this huge plot hole in the center of it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
Sure you can. 24 states have open presidential primaries.
The point is that they're still voting to choose the nominee within one party. An open primary is not the same as a general election. It's not a choice of voting for a Democrat vs. voting for a Republican. You pick the party whose primary you want to vote in, and you select from the candidates within that one party to determine its nominee for later in the year.

It wasn't a choice between voting for Bartlett or voting for a Republican. Even if the family chose to vote in the Republican primary, the general election was still several months away, and Bartlett had already locked up his own party's nomination. Donna harassing the family to vote for Bartlett in the primary instead of voting for the Republican makes no sense.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
Also, Josh really threw Donna under the bus at the end of the episode, didn't he? The whole episode, he pushed her to call the family, call the family, get them to vote for Bartlett at all costs. Then at the end, he took the phone and told them not to listen to her and go vote for whoever they wanted. Kind of a dick move on his part.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Peter Roth To Step Down As Warner Bros. TV Group Chairman After 22 Years At The Helm Of the TV Studio

What a resume. He brought on a lot of young show creators and gave them the space and freedom to create a lot of popular TV. I would expect that quite a bit of this content will eventually be a big part of HBO Max's back catalog.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Reactions: longhorn23

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I have to say, them adding the DC and other HBO Max content to the usual slate of HBO content is definitely keeping me around. I recently signed up to watch Lovecraft Country, and would normally cancel after only one month with little else on HBO I haven't seen yet and really want to see. But now I'm hooked on Doom Patrol and want to check out Raised by Wolves. And I guess more DC stuff will be added soon? There are also some older movies I've added to my watch list. At $12/mo., I plan to keep HBO Max indefinitely. Just hope 4K/HDR comes soon.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Reactions: Zookster

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

·
Registered
18,530 Posts
Started Doom Patrol last night. IIRC, this wasn’t an HBO original. With the swearing and nudity what channel did this show originally air on?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Started Doom Patrol last night. IIRC, this wasn’t an HBO original. With the swearing and nudity what channel did this show originally air on?
DOOM PATROL was a DC Universe streaming show.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
The Flight Attendant | Official Trailer | HBOMax

The Flight Attendant will premiere with 3 episodes on Thursday, Nov. 26th, followed by two more episodes on Dec. 3rd, two episodes on Dec. 10th, and then the season finale on Dec. 17th...

* I like the way HBO Max releases multiple episodes on a weekly schedule and wraps up the entire season within a month...great middle ground between week-to-week versus binge watching

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The Flight Attendant | Official Trailer | HBOMax

The Flight Attendant will premiere with 3 episodes on Thursday, Nov. 26th, followed by two more episodes on Dec. 3rd, two episodes on Dec. 10th, and then the season finale on Dec. 17th...
Looks like a fun little 8-episode romp.

This will be a quick burn release schedule. Start on Thanksgiving day and be done a week before Kris Kringle arrives.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Looks like a fun little 8-episode romp.

This will be a quick burn release schedule. Start on Thanksgiving day and be done a week before Kris Kringle arrives.
the fact that they burn through entire seasons in a month makes me want to watch shows I'm on the fence about...I'll definitely be watching this now since it doesn't require a huge time commitment...I like the fact that HBO Max has made this type of release schedule the norm

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I like the fact that HBO Max has made this type of release schedule the norm
Agree. One of the few things they got 'spot on' with their launch. :whistle:

Reactions: TitusTroy

·
Registered
18,530 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts