AVS Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1472 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts

·
Registered
27,684 Posts
Well. Got around to watching WW84 last night. Geez, that was... umm... ah... really bad. Just awful, on every narrative level. It did look quite nice in 4K/HDR and the Atmos sound mix was impressive, so technically, it was fine.

But the story made no sense on any level, even by the fantastical standards of superhero movies. My wife & I kept looking at each other mouthing the words, sometimes audible, sometimes not, that are represented by the acronym WTF!? :eek:

Which is so disappointing because I thought the first one was pretty good and was looking forward to a sequel. Now I can kind of understand why they made the decision to release it for streaming simultaneous with theaters. It would have bombed once word of mouth got out, after the first weekend.

At some level, Patty Jenkins, Gal Gadot and the studio have to be embarrassed by this. I mean, they have to be. Right?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Well. Got around to watching WW84 last night. Geez, that was... umm... ah... really bad. Just awful, on every narrative level. It did look quite nice in 4K/HDR and the Atmos sound mix was impressive, so technically, it was fine.

But the story made no sense on any level, even by the fantastical standards of superhero movies. My wife & I kept looking at each other mouthing the words, sometimes audible, sometimes not, that are represented by the acronym WTF!? :eek:

Which is so disappointing because I thought the first one was pretty good and was looking forward to a sequel. Now I can kind of understand why they made the decision to release it for streaming simultaneous with theaters. It would have bombed once word of mouth got out, after the first weekend.

At some level, Patty Jenkins, Gal Gadot and the studio have to be embarrassed by this. I mean, they have to be. Right?
Haha my sentiments exactly! I did notice that many of the higher posters here actually enjoyed it and I could not figure out why that was. Maybe they just have a thing for Gal. I really liked the first one too.
The villian was also the worst choice ever IMO. I turned it off within the first 20-30 min. If I saw it in a theater I would have walked out and asked for a refund. I read the box office receipts in China were down -92% for the 2nd week probably as word got around. And of course they are already making a 3rd WW.

You should copy and paste your review in the WW1984 thread here, so others don't waste their money paying to see this dog in the theaters or paying full boat for the DVD.
Yes, Warner Brothers definitely screwed all the theater owners by bringing it out on HBOMAX at the same time.

I guess HBO has deeper pockets and more dollars to give Warner Brothers than the theater owners lobbyists could come up with. With new movies opening directly to streaming IMO it will be the death knell to theater owners, much like Amazon's business model was to book store owners.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Sex and the City: Samantha-Less Revival Eyes HBO Max Series Order
Looks like it is a go.

‘Sex And The City’ Revival Officially Set At HBO Max

·
Registered
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,366
Is it going to be an HBO original or a Max original?

The cast has to have aged out of the work force by now and they're unlikely to be single.

So what are they going to do, stories about AARP life?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Sex and the City, Sopranos theatrical movie, Deadwood TV movie, True Blood revival...HBO is going back into their Peak TV vaults to bring back the oldies...what's next- Oz, The Wire, Six Feet Under?
:) I get that HBO Max needs to be all things to everyone in order to meet their ultimate subscriber goals. Reboots, revivals and nostalgia play a part in that. But, I sure would like to see an announcement from WarnerMedia with their plans for 'net new' projects for the next few years. Covid-19 definitely makes it harder to plan out multi-year strategies. Perhaps that is coming later in the year. Maybe 2021 is all about promoting the 17 movies that will get HBO Max releases the same day as theatrical releases.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Looks like it is a go.

‘Sex And The City’ Revival Officially Set At HBO Max
Just no.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Reactions: allargon

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Sad. Last thing I want to see is these old hags bitching and losing every episode.
You would think when people can act / work again that they might want to do something different? Whether it gets made or not doesn't really matter in the universe. We can always just not watch. But, when you read that other projects, like the Arrow spin-off were considered for HBO Max and then not moved forward it makes you wonder if it is because this was deemed more worthy?

Same can be said for a lot of content that shows up on all these services (Netflix, HULU, Peacock, HBO Max) these days. Some of it is just so bad it is puzzling as to how it ever got funded. It is frustrating how many billions are being poured into just heaps of 'hot garbage' to fill up the catalogs of all these streaming catalogs.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I don’t want to have to go through 50+ pages of comments...

I just subscribed (for the Wonder Woman movie...ugh!). I am using the app on an iPad and using a Chromecast to watch on my tv. The movie did not stutter, but I also watched the series The Flight Attendant and Raised by Wolves and there was a lot of buffering in both. Anyone else experience this. I don’t think it’s my wife because Netflix doesn’t buffer this badly.

Also, the app needs work. You can’t scrub through a show and see thumbnails as you do. You can’t skip the “last time” scenes.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
Warner Bros. is planning to introduce a new payment structure with filmmakers, casts, and crews, based partly on HBO Max streaming fees

Warner Bros. is agreeing to new payment structures for filmmakers and their crews based in part on HBO Max streaming fees, according to multiple reports...now, Warner Bros. is in the process of altering deals with partners to "guarantee payment regardless of box-office sales and to increase the odds of performance-based bonuses," Bloomberg reported Saturday

Under the deal, HBO Max would pay Warner Bros. a fee for the streaming movies, some of which would go to the movies' production partners, filmmakers, casts and crews, according to Bloomberg...the deal would also cut in half the amount in box office sales that a film would need to hit before partners begin earning bonuses...

·
Registered
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,375
Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I don’t want to have to go through 50+ pages of comments...

I just subscribed (for the Wonder Woman movie...ugh!). I am using the app on an iPad and using a Chromecast to watch on my tv. The movie did not stutter, but I also watched the series The Flight Attendant and Raised by Wolves and there was a lot of buffering in both. Anyone else experience this. I don’t think it’s my wife because Netflix doesn’t buffer this badly.

Also, the app needs work. You can’t scrub through a show and see thumbnails as you do. You can’t skip the “last time” scenes or the intro.

Which device?

And how fast a connection?

·
Premium Member
35,556 Posts
Warner Bros. is planning to introduce a new payment structure with filmmakers, casts, and crews, based partly on HBO Max streaming fees

Warner Bros. is agreeing to new payment structures for filmmakers and their crews based in part on HBO Max streaming fees, according to multiple reports...now, Warner Bros. is in the process of altering deals with partners to "guarantee payment regardless of box-office sales and to increase the odds of performance-based bonuses," Bloomberg reported Saturday

Under the deal, HBO Max would pay Warner Bros. a fee for the streaming movies, some of which would go to the movies' production partners, filmmakers, casts and crews, according to Bloomberg...the deal would also cut in half the amount in box office sales that a film would need to hit before partners begin earning bonuses...

I’m curious to see how this works in practice.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Which device?

And how fast a connection?
I have Comcast 300Mbps. Just did a SpeedTest and it clocked download speed at 266.

I cast YouTube to the tv earlier and it played with no problems. I was getting a lot of buffering last night. I’m going to try again now to see how it goes.

·
Registered
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,379
But what are you running on the HBO Max app on?

Seems more sluggish on my Apple TV than the old HBO Go app.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Problem with babylon 5 is there is too much CGI for a TV show

There is the original reel presumably (hopefully it's not on VHS), but that doesn't include the post processing/cgi

You've gotta redo all the CGI in the digital shots native rez or just do a DVD upscale. It's probably just a dvd upscale those bums

1361 - 1380 of 1472 Posts