AVS Forum banner

1381 - 1400 of 1472 Posts

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I don’t want to have to go through 50+ pages of comments...

I just subscribed (for the Wonder Woman movie...ugh!). I am using the app on an iPad and using a Chromecast to watch on my tv. The movie did not stutter, but I also watched the series The Flight Attendant and Raised by Wolves and there was a lot of buffering in both. Anyone else experience this. I don’t think it’s my wife because Netflix doesn’t buffer this badly.

Also, the app needs work. You can’t scrub through a show and see thumbnails as you do. You can’t skip the “last time” scenes.
I've complained about excessive buffering on the HBO Max app many times. All the other Warner apps (CW, Adult Swim, etc.) buffered, too. The only one that didn't buffer was the DC Universe app.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I've complained about excessive buffering on the HBO Max app many times. All the other Warner apps (CW, Adult Swim, etc.) buffered, too. The only one that didn't buffer was the DC Universe app.
I have rarely seen buffering on the HBO Max app and have been using it extensively since the launch last May. Mostly on multiple FTV4K devices as a sideload until they reached agreement and went official. HBO Max on Roku in general as an app seems a bit more sluggish than on FTV4K and startup of streams do seem to take a bit longer. Haven't really watched a lot of content from beginning to end on Roku platform to be able to assess if buffering is more prevalent.

Reactions: allargon

·
Administrator
19,562 Posts
None of my apps ever buffer on my wired Apple TV 4K with gigabit internet.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm putting on my tin foil hat but i'd bet it has to do with ISP's and agreements over who gets a cut.

Xfinity/comcast signed a deal with warner right when they launched the app. So i'm sure they have servers on comcast property and there are no bitrate issues.

If your cable provider has not signed such deals. Either they or HBO may be playing hardball with each other throttling this or that. Could throttle X cable service customers through IP. Or the cable company could throttle anything coming from HBO servers.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I'm putting on my tin foil hat but i'd bet it has to do with ISP's and agreements over who gets a cut.

Xfinity/comcast signed a deal with warner right when they launched the app. So i'm sure they have servers on comcast property and there are no bitrate issues.

If your cable provider has not signed such deals. Either they or HBO may be playing hardball with each other throttling this or that. Could throttle X cable service customers through IP. Or the cable company could throttle anything coming from HBO servers.
My ISP is AT&T, and all the Warner apps still buffer.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
But what are you running on the HBO Max app on?

Seems more sluggish on my Apple TV than the old HBO Go app.
I am casting to my tv from my iPad Pro via Chromecast. My main tv is a Roku TCL but my kid is on it all the time playing on the PS4. I will have to try it from there.

I was watching more RBW tonight and at one point abou 20 minutes into the first episode of the night I thought to myself “Hey, it hasn’t buffered” and right as I said that, it buffered. LOL. It wasn’t as bad as last night though.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Sad. Last thing I want to see is these old hags bitching and losing every episode.
This show is clearly not for you, but it has an audience that supported it through six TV seasons and two theatrical features. If it doesn't interest you, there really doesn't seem to be any shortage of other content to watch on TV instead.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Sarah Jessica Parker Sets Record Straight on Kim Cattrall's Sex and the City Exit, Confirms 'Samantha Isn't Part' of HBO Max Revival
By Michael Ausiello

And just like that… Sarah Jessica Parker is addressing Kim Cattrall‘s official exit from the Sex and the City universe.

Just hours after news broke that HBO Max is reviving the iconic comedy in the form of a new series titled And Just Like That, which will follow Parker’s Carrie, Kristin Davis’ Charlotte and Cynthia Nixon’s Miranda as they “navigate their 50s,” Parker set the record straight about Cattrall’s glaring absence.

Responding to a fan’s comment on Instagram that Cattrall was excised from the Sex universe due to Parker’s alleged disdain for Cattrall, Parker maintained, “No. I don’t dislike her. I’ve never said that. Never would.” She then confirmed,”Samantha isnt part of this story. But she will always be part of us. No matter where we are or what we do.”

The fact is, Cattrall herself has made no secret of her intense desire to sever ties with Sex and the City and her character of Samantha, partly due to behind the scenes tensions with Parker. In fact, in an October 2017 interview with Piers Morgan, Cattrall implored SATC‘s creative team — who have previously been taken to task for the series’ poor track record on diversity — to recast the role of Samantha with a non-white actress. “It’s a great part,” she said at the time. “I played it past the finish line and then some, and I loved it. And another actress should play it. Maybe they could make it an African-American Samantha Jones, or a Hispanic Samantha Jones.”

Parker did not reveal how exactly Samantha’s absence would be dealt with in the 10-episode revival, although in a new poll TVLine readers overwhelmingly believe the character, who previously battled breast cancer, should be killed off.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Is WandaVision 'Required Reading' Ahead of Doctor Strange Movie Sequel?

As Marvel devotees are likely aware, Disney+’s WandaVision won’t be the last project to feature Scarlet Witch. Rather, Elizabeth Olsen’s character is confirmed to appear in the MCU’s forthcoming Doctor Strange sequel, too.

Which, naturally, begs the question: Will WandaVision‘s nine episodes (premiering Friday, Jan. 15) be crucial to understanding Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness?

As Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige explains to TVLine, “‘required reading’ is not something that’s fun when you want to turn on the TV or go to a movie. We try to make all of our movies, and now shows, stand alone and work together.”

After various COVID-related delays, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is (for now) slated to hit theaters in March 2022, more than a year after WandaVision airs its finale. And aside from Olsen’s involvement with the Doctor Strange sequel — which will also have direct ties to the next Spider-Man film, swinging into theaters December 2021 — Teyonah Parris will appear as an adult version of Monica Rambeau in Captain Marvel 2, following her stint as that same character in WandaVision.

Still, Feige maintains that Marvel’s upcoming films should be viewer-friendly for all levels of fandom, regardless of whether you’ve seen the studio’s assorted Disney+ series.

“The challenge is making them work for both types of viewers — viewers who follow everything we do, and the much more casual viewers who just heard something good about it and want to check it out,” he says. “And that’s what we’ll continue to do.”

WandaVision drops with two episodes on Friday, Jan. 15, followed by a weekly (not binge-release!) rollout.

Did Disney just buy HBO Max? Please say yes! ;)

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
Sex and the City Stars to Make More Than $1 Million Per Episode for HBO Max Revival

According to multiple sources, Sarah Jessica Parker, Cynthia Nixon, and Kristin Davis are all set to bank over $1 million per episode for the 10 episode series...all three are set to star in the show as well as serve as executive producers...

1381 - 1400 of 1472 Posts