AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the new streaming service, HBO Max will debut in May 2020, WarnerMedia entertainment president Robert Greenblatt announced on Tuesday...It was also revealed that the service will cost $14.99 per month...Current HBO subscribers via AT&T and DirecTV, along with HBO Now subscribers, will have immediate access to HBO Max at no extra charge...Also, an ad-supported version of HBO Max (price TBD) is also planned to launch in 2021...The company has not said whether an annual subscription rate will be made available

HBO Max has at least 16 scripted series in various stages of development...In addition to original series, HBO Max will feature a robust selection of library content...The service will house all episodes of Friends, The Big Bang Theory, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Pretty Little Liars, as well as all of HBO’s programming...

https://tvline.com/2019/10/29/hbo-max-price-launch-release-date-streaming-service/

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
the new streaming service, HBO Max will debut in May 2020, WarnerMedia entertainment president Robert Greenblatt announced on Tuesday...It was also revealed that the service will cost $14.99 per month...Current HBO subscribers via AT&T and DirecTV, along with HBO Now subscribers, will have immediate access to HBO Max at no extra charge...Also, an ad-supported version of HBO Max (price TBD) is also planned to launch in 2021...The company has not said whether an annual subscription rate will be made available

HBO Max has at least 16 scripted series in various stages of development...In addition to original series, HBO Max will feature a robust selection of library content...The service will house all episodes of Friends, The Big Bang Theory, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Pretty Little Liars, as well as all of HBO’s programming...

https://tvline.com/2019/10/29/hbo-max-price-launch-release-date-streaming-service/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eASkqrwdg7Y
I already have HBO Now so nothing for me to worry about, one thing checked off the to do app. :)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I've been trying to wrap my head around exactly what HBO Max is going to have. At first I thought it would include all Warner streaming properties under one roof. But that's not entirely the case. Basically it's all of HBO, plus new shows exclusively for Max, plus "selections" from all other Warner owned channels. So if I want to watch some DC Universe shows other than Doom Patrol, I still have to subscribe to DC Universe for an additional $8/mo.

Here's what looks like a comprehensive list from Deadline: https://deadline.com/2019/10/hbo-max-list-titles-originals-movies-tv-hbo-1202772182/

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think WarnerMedia is over-estimating their worth by charging $14.99...you can literally subscribe to both Disney+ and Apple TV+ and it will still be cheaper then HBO Max...I already have HBO/Cinemax as part of my FiOS cable subscription and I'm not sure if I will get HBO Max for free...the only thing that might push this over the top for me will be if it supports 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision...even then it's a tough sell for most people

·
Registered
445 Posts
$14.99 and nothing in 4K???

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Too much money for nothing special! They will fail in my opinion- if only AT&T had a brain :).
Gerry

·
Registered
373 Posts
. . . I already have HBO/Cinemax as part of my FiOS cable subscription and I'm not sure if I will get HBO Max for free . . .
I have been volleying HBO subscriptions for months now since the HBONOW app has disappeared off one of our TV's, although the HBOGO app is still there, in the middle of me subscribing to HBO before Christmas with a Gift Card. I literally checked and as I was subscribing the app was pulled. So I got a 4K FireStick on major sale a couple weeks ago and that will replace the missing apps. The TV is great, even tried several others over Christmas and none were as good as this 2015 model. COSTCO has been incredible about letting me play.

But just as it's time to renew the subscription through Amazon, I am getting offers directly from HBO that we tossed for Amazons Channel last Fall. AND since I have confirmed that HBOMAX will only be available as a direct add-on after it's released or if you have HBO/HBONOW directly from HBO or AT&T/DTV/the owners, et al. Not through any other provider. And they are not as of right now, combining Cinemax as earlier reported. But since DISH and HBO are still spatting, it's blocked on the Hoppers, even through Prime. DISH added the Prime and Netflix apps to the boxes and we have two Hopper3's which would make it so nice and easier for Grandma. But no. So since we couldn't decide on a TV for her for Christmas or Valentines Day, she's getting HBONOW, CBS All Access and Disney+ for my birthday today. She's a Rocket Scientist and loves Picard and all the Star Treks and Wars. Oh and "The New HBO Dragon Show". . .

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still don't understand how HBO is going to balance their linear HBO channel versus this new HBO Max...are they going to make any of their big tentpole shows like that Game of Thrones prequel or Westworld an HBO Max exclusive?...and will HBO Max have 4K HDR support?

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
HBO MAX launching May 2020

Not HBO Now or HBO Go, but HBO Max.

Does anyone know it's actual launch date other than sometime in May 2020?

I ask because standalone HBO Now subscribers will allegedly get additional HBO Max content free of charge. However, those that subscribe via Amazon Prime or Hulu will not. However, AVSForum readers know that standalone HBO Now is bitrate starved compared to its add-on counterparts.

So, I ask again, does anyone have an in as to when the launch date would be so I would know when to cancel my add-on?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The launch date has not been made public yet. They're being annoyingly cryptic.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
HBO Max Sets Launch: WarnerMedia Streaming Service to Arrive May 27

WarnerMedia announced Tuesday that its forthcoming streamer will launch on Wednesday, May 27th..as reported in October, HBO Max will cost $14.99 per month, though current HBO subscribers via AT&T and DirecTV (along with HBO Now subscribers) will have immediate access to the service at no additional cost...it’s not yet clear if an annual subscription rate will be available, but an ad-supported version of HBO Max (price TBD) is expected to launch in 2021...

https://tvline.com/2020/04/21/hbo-max-launch-date-streaming-service-warnermedia/

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I don't know why they are still keeping the 4K HDR details under wraps...makes me think that it won't have any 4K support at launch
They will have to have some, as "Doom Patrol" S2 will need it unless they're going to stream DC Universe 4K HDR and to stream HBO Max at $15/mo 1080p SDR. :confused:

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They will have to have some, as "Doom Patrol" S2 will need it unless they're going to stream DC Universe 4K HDR and to stream HBO Max at $15/mo 1080p SDR. :confused:
but HBO Max will have a much bigger catalog of titles and that might be enough for them to justify the cost...most people probably don't care about 4K HDR

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
but HBO Max will have a much bigger catalog of titles and that might be enough for them to justify the cost...most people probably don't care about 4K HDR
Maybe that could ALMOST justify DC Universe's continued existence. USA folks, pay the extra $8/mo for commercial-free 4K HDR *AND* Titans. Everyone else, watch Doom Patrol on HBO MAX and Stargirl on the CW.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how is HBO going to differentiate between the linear HBO channel which is already known as being a prestige network with top quality programming and HBO Max?...is Max going to get the tentpole shows or will that still go to linear HBO?

wouldn't surprise me if they decided to put that upcoming Game of Thrones prequel series, House of the Dragon, on HBO Max to gain more subs

1 - 20 of 345 Posts