AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Sounds like an acknowledgement they screwed up the hbo max rollout
I think the HBO Max app itself could have been more impressive; it was essentially just the old HBO Now app with a fresh coat of paint and one new feature added: profiles. Should've had 4K HDR at launch, along with some degree of personalized recommendations, plus live feeds of at least the main HBO linear channel. (It has at least added show-related podcasts since launching.)

But when most folks talk about a "screw up" of the HBO Max rollout, I think they're mainly referencing the fact that the app isn't on Roku and Fire TV. I doubt that would have turned out any differently with Kilar and his new team in place; Roku and Amazon are just insisting on distribution terms that aren't acceptable to Warner. Hopefully a compromise will eventually be reached but both sides are so far apart that neither would have felt the need to compromise further without first launching without the app on those platforms.

Beyond that, I'd just say that HBO faced a MUCH trickier launch for HBO Max than they would have for a completely new service, given that HBO Max was building on a big service, HBO, that was already being distributed by LOTS of companies, plus the fact that it was designed to replace not one but two pre-existing apps, HBO Go and HBO Now. One of the head guys at Netflix years ago said he bet that Netflix could become HBO before HBO could become Netflix. He was right.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If I could just cast HBO MAX in 4k HDR from my phone or iPad via Airplay, surely I could live without an app on Roku....

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
If I could just cast HBO MAX in 4k HDR from my phone or iPad via Airplay, surely I could live without an app on Roku....
Yes, but there are about 80 million Roku and Fire TV users that need it on one or both!! Let's hope that new faces on the HBO Max side move this along. Egos were likely slowing any progress.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hopefully Google launches their next-gen Chromecast/Android TV device soon. The specs on it leaked out awhile back and it looks like a very promising device with voice remote, 4K and Dolby Vision. Price will probably be somewhere around the current Chromecast Ultra ($69), which it will likely replace. It'll probably be Nest-branded, like their smart speakers. So maybe "Google Nest TV"? A lot of frustrated Roku and Fire TV owners missing out on apps for HBO Max and Peacock will likely check it out.

Looks like they have a new midsize Nest smart speaker set to launch later this month. Maybe the Nest TV will bow at the same time.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I guess the egos and rhetoric will continue, even with new faces on the WarnerMedia side. :whistle:
The new WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar is smart and understands streaming. He gets the stakes involved with HBO Max and ensuring that they control the service and the direct-to-consumer relationship through their own app/UI/data channel. So I'd say, if anything, that Kilar is even less likely to relent to Amazon and Roku's demands that Warner turn over the entire HBO Max service to them so that they can run it off their own servers and embed it inside their own apps (i.e. Prime Video and Roku Channel). That's the OLD model that HBO was built on -- being a wholesale distributor of content, with cable operators being the consumer-facing retail distributors. Amazon and Roku would like to see that model continue, except with them replacing the cable operators. WarnerMedia wants HBO Max to be for them what Hulu and Disney+ are for Disney.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The new WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar is smart and understands streaming. He gets the stakes involved with HBO Max and ensuring that they control the service and the direct-to-consumer relationship through their own app/UI/data channel. So I'd say, if anything, that Kilar is even less likely to relent to Amazon and Roku's demands that Warner turn over the entire HBO Max service to them so that they can run it off their own servers and embed it inside their own apps (i.e. Prime Video and Roku Channel). That's the OLD model that HBO was built on -- being a wholesale distributor of content, with cable operators being the consumer-facing retail distributors. Amazon and Roku would like to see that model continue, except with them replacing the cable operators. WarnerMedia wants HBO Max to be for them what Hulu and Disney+ are for Disney.
I can understand that Warner wants to "alter the deal," especially now that they are owned by the Death Star. ;) However, they aren't necessarily in the bargaining position that they seem to think they are, especially with Amazon given the recent blinking they did when they relented on the deadline for HBO going away on the Firestick.

We like the Firestick best amongst what we have tried. If Apple ever fixes their remote design, we might consider switching to that, but the brave new world of streaming is starting to look more and more like the bad old world of cable/satellite with content distribution disputes. That makes it hard to justify the price of premium streaming devices when none of them have everything you might want to watch.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
What I do like about the streaming services is that it's pretty easy to get and cancel each one (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ etc). A bit of a pain, but once you've watched what you want you can cancel until they have some new stuff. If managed correctly you can save money, but many of us forget to cancel and end up with an extra month. :(

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
If Apple ever fixes their remote design, we might consider switching to that.
Luckily Apple lets you use any remote you want with the ATV. I have never used any of the Apple remotes. Just grabbed an old DVD player remote and did the 4 minute wizard to connect it with my ATV.

In my other room, I have a Harmony remote, which again lets me skip the ATV remote.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Luckily Apple lets you use any remote you want with the ATV. I have never used any of the Apple remotes. Just grabbed an old DVD player remote and did the 4 minute wizard to connect it with my ATV.

In my other room, I have a Harmony remote, which again lets me skip the ATV remote.
Interesting. I'll need to read more about that. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Interesting. I'll need to read more about that. Thanks!
Sure. It's easy. And HBOMax looks good on an ATV.

Grab any old remote you have around that has the "transport" buttons (ie, Play, Pause, up down left right, and select etc) and then following these steps from the Apple web site. You'll need to use the official Apple TV remote OR an iPhone with the Remote app to navigate the steps to set up your "new" remote, but then you can put the AppleTV remote in a drawer and leave it there.

Teach an infrared remote to control Apple TV
  1. Open Settings
    Settings
    on Apple TV.
  2. Go to Remotes and Devices > Learn Remote, then follow the onscreen instructions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I haven't seen anyone mention this, but has anyone else noticed the video quality on HBOMax isn't very good compared to other services?

I recently watched Ready or Not (a recent movie) and Withnail and I (old Criterion Collection movie), and both looked pretty bad. I can forgive it with Withnail, it looked like (bad) DVD quality at times (especially the scene where it's pouring rain). Ready or Not is recent... the colors were waaaay green and the shadows blocky a lot of the time.

This is through an Apple TV 4k playing on a Vizio Quantum X.

I love the programming choices but hope they up their game on the bandwidth, transfers, whatever is causing this.

And you can count me as one more who's lamenting the fate of DCUniverse. :( The comics alone have saved me a lot (and allowed a lot more experimentation) over buying direct on Comixology. Hope it remains in some form.
Yes the quality is really few notches below what you get from other services. The selection is fantastic (only reason I have maintained my subscription tbh) and you get all hbo centric content under one roof.

I must say the audio thru the ATV-4k is quite muted/ subdued and is converted to pcm if I’m not mistaken. I have the 2019 tv shield as well and when viewing the same content I get DD 5.1 which sounds fuller and richer and I don’t have to crank up the volume like I do on the ATV. Video quality is essentially the same between the 2 platforms. This was really evident when I watched Midway last week.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Reactions: ncted

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
HBO Max: Stream HBO, TV, Movies & More (Android TV)
Version: 50.4.0.206
Release Date: August 31, 2020

WHAT'S NEW: We’re rolling out a new feature that lets you skip intros and promos on select shows (available across more content soon!)

Nice to see AT&T and WarnerMedia group working hard at prioritizing 'must have' features for a premium priced service. I was just saying that I would rather have the option to SKIP INTROS instead of watching 4K HDR content.

Another 'flawless' update.... :rolleyes: :mad:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
HBO Max's Ad Plan Is a Disaster

Bueller..... Bueller.... Flawless.... Flawless...

Reactions: ncted

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
HBO Max's Ad Plan Is a Disaster

Bueller..... Bueller.... Flawless.... Flawless...
It's always been an open question as to what the future ad-supported, cheaper version of HBO Max will look like. Comments from company leaders (many of whom are no longer there) indicated that "premium" content -- understood to mean HBO originals, plus theatrical films -- from the service would remain ad-free even in the forthcoming ad-supported tier. But if the classic version of HBO was $15/mo, how could the ad-supported version of HBO Max cost several dollars LESS than that if it offers all of classic HBO, still ad-free, while also including the new Max content with ads? That never made sense to me.

If they want to roll out something priced around $6-9/mo, maybe it will include all the Max content but only select past seasons of HBO originals. All theatrical films, all HBO originals, and all content aimed to young children would be ad-free. Everything else would contain ads. If that's the way it plays out, then the cheaper tier of HBO Max would be like a non-premium version of the service -- lacking the current/latest seasons of HBO originals, and containing ads in the non-HBO series. Maybe it would also lack 4K HDR too once that feature finally gets added to HBO Max.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
It's always been an open question as to what the future ad-supported, cheaper version of HBO Max will look like.
This just feels like another AT&T muck-up of an acquired entertainment property. Their clumsy, idiotic and tone-deaf attempts to maximize monthly and quarterly revenues are at work again. They are hell bent on creating an ad-supported service that no creator of HBO original content wants sullied with ads and no advertisers seem interested in running their ads inside of The Sopranos or The Deuce. Seems like the only thing that will be accomplished here is alienating content creators from wanting to work with HBO in the future if their output will eventually be stuffed with unwanted ads.

If they want to increase the user base and ultimately profitability of HBO Max, how about prioritizing 4K HDR support to the stellar back catalog of HBO and Warner content? And perhaps getting deals in place with Roku and Amazon would help? They might find that there are 80 million users of those two platforms that might actually prefer paying for a premium 4K HDR ad-free experience if you just allowed them to. :unsure: :rolleyes:

Reactions: Hetfieldjames
341 - 360 of 403 Posts