AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 682 Posts

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,325 Posts
So no one else here is noticing compressed sound from the rear channels from HBO Max content?

·
Registered
230 Posts
There isn't that much ATMOS content on Prime Video. Season 5 of THE EXPANSE and Season 1 of CARNIVAL ROW are the only two I can recall at the moment.
Does one need a higher-level subscription to enable ATMOS audio? I tried these two but I'm only seeing DD+ 5.1 which I confirmed via my receiver info feature.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Does one need a higher-level subscription to enable ATMOS audio? I tried these two but I'm only seeing DD+ 5.1 which I confirmed via my receiver info feature.
At least you're seeing 5.1. I was watching Westworld (season 1) yesterday and while the show information banner indicates 5.1 is available, my shield is only giving me two channel stereo. If I cast to my shield, then my shield gets 5.1. been that way since the update before Christmas.

Are you casting to see 5.1?

-T

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
No. There is no higher-level subscription tier for Prime Video content.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
it's very hit or miss. on west wing i only get 2 channel. most other things i get 5.1. wonder woman 1984 the only thing in atmos so far.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
What streaming device are you using to get 5.1?

-T
I was able to get 5.1 on both a Roku Ultra (2017) and FireTV 4k stick.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Thanks for the updates on how you guys are getting 5.1. since I'm running in Nvidia shield Pro, that looks to be the problem. it still has an app date of 12/22 and there were no updates since then.

The worst part is I purchased 6 months in advance. And I saved 20%. Did that because I wanted the first run movies. Wonder woman 84 was definitely HDR and atmos for me. But I'm going to have to reach out to HBO and have them give me a discount. Or a credit of some months. Since they busted 5.1. which used to work before their updates for Wonder woman 84.

-T

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I record His Dark Materials on HBO, but I end up deleting it and watching it on HBO Max because it sounds so much better.
I am guessing HBO is through your cable provider. HBO Max streaming service doubled the bit rates they were using to deliver content over the previous HBO NOW service. It shows in the picture quality. I guess it does in the sound as well.

Reactions: Hetfieldjames

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I am guessing HBO is through your cable provider. HBO Max streaming service doubled the bit rates they were using to deliver content over the previous HBO NOW service. It shows in the picture quality. I guess it does in the sound as well.
HBO through Atlantic Broadband TiVo DVR.

My guess is Dolby Digital 5.1 via DVR and Dolby Digital Plus on the HBO Max?

So, better audio track even if they didn't up the bit rate?

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,325 Posts
I record His Dark Materials on HBO, but I end up deleting it and watching it on HBO Max because it sounds so much better.
What device are you watching the show on? Because on Fire Stick 4k and XSX the sound on HBO Max is very compressed sounding. His Dark Materials is an especially bad offender. It sounds like an mp3 from the Napster days the compression artifacts are so bad. Like listening to the sound through a small tube.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
What device are you watching the show on? Because on Fire Stick 4k and XSX the sound on HBO Max is very compressed sounding. His Dark Materials is an especially bad offender. It sounds like an mp3 from the Napster days the compression artifacts are so bad. Like listening to the sound through a small tube.
Fire TV Cube Gen 2.

Big difference between the HBO version and the HBO Max version (for me).

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,325 Posts
Fire TV Cube Gen 2.

Big difference between the HBO version and the HBO Max version (for me).
Well I can’t speak to the broadcast version, I have no way of testing that but HBO Max sounds very obviously terrible to me. No other app on any device gets close to sounding as bad. Your cube shouldn’t be all that different than the stick so I don’t really understand why I’m getting bad sound and you’re not.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Well I can’t speak to the broadcast version, I have no way of testing that but HBO Max sounds very obviously terrible to me. No other app on any device gets close to sounding as bad. Your cube shouldn’t be all that different than the stick so I don’t really understand why I’m getting bad sound and you’re not.
Yeah, no idea.

I have the audio running through a new Denon x3700h running in preamp-only mode with an Anthem MCA 50 amplifier. I'm just passing through the audio track, but I did the Audyssey XT32 room correction.

621 - 640 of 682 Posts