AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 682 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
What device are you watching the show on? Because on Fire Stick 4k and XSX the sound on HBO Max is very compressed sounding. His Dark Materials is an especially bad offender.
Watched entire season of HDM on FTV4K on HBO Max and did not have any of the poor sound quality issues you describe. I just ran S02E07 of HDM through HBO Max on FTV4K and HBO Max on TCL Roku TV and didn't notice poor sound quality. I am just sending DD+ to a simple Vizio 5.1.2 soundbar.

Reactions: circumstances

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Guess we will see if Ray Fisher means what he says.

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,325 Posts
Watched entire season of HDM on FTV4K on HBO Max and did not have any of the poor sound quality issues you describe. I just ran S02E07 of HDM through HBO Max on FTV4K and HBO Max on TCL Roku TV and didn't notice poor sound quality. I am just sending DD+ to a simple Vizio 5.1.2 soundbar.
Of course I would have some unique problem that nobody else is experiencing. Always how it goes for me.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
HBO Max content sounds fine on my ATV4K. I have always had to turn up the volume on HBO apps (Now & Max), but it doesn't sound compressed at all.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
it's very hit or miss. on west wing i only get 2 channel. most other things i get 5.1. wonder woman 1984 the only thing in atmos so far.
West Wing ran from 1999 to 2006, so maybe earlier seasons didn't have 5.1 regardless, though maybe later seasons do? I've seen that for older shows on the various streaming platforms. I haven't tested West Wing myself yet on any of my devices.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
West Wing ran from 1999 to 2006, so maybe earlier seasons didn't have 5.1 regardless, though maybe later seasons do? I've seen that for older shows on the various streaming platforms. I haven't tested West Wing myself yet on any of my devices.
i had just gotten to season 4 on netflix when West Wing left and began on HBO Max.

pretty sure all the previous seasons were 5.1 on Netflix.

no way to go back and check now, lol.

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,325 Posts
Has anyone been able to watch WW84 without constant quality drops? Here we are 2 weeks later and I’m still having trouble with it.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Has anyone been able to watch WW84 without constant quality drops? Here we are 2 weeks later and I’m still having trouble with it.
I watched it once on an Nvidia shield Pro, and another time on a firestick 4K. Internet speed is 150 down. No quality issues that I saw or heard. 4K, atmos audio, HDR10.

What are you experiencing?

-T

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,325 Posts
I watched it once on an Nvidia shield Pro, and another time on a firestick 4K. Internet speed is 150 down. No quality issues that I saw or heard. 4K, atmos audio, HDR10.

What are you experiencing?

-T
The bitrate keeps dropping really low and sometimes it stops to buffer. Had the same issue 2 weeks ago and figured it was over saturated due to release but I doubt that’s the problem anymore. My fire stick is wired, I have a 600 meg connection, I can stream stuff on movies anywhere without any problems ever.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Had no issues watching it on an ATV4K. Ironically, I have issues watching Amazon content on Amazon FS4K, but not on other devices.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Nielsen Launches PVOD Measurement Service To Measure Movie Viewing

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Nielsen Launches PVOD Measurement Service To Measure Movie Viewing
Wow. That only took forever. I hope it is better at sampling than their traditional offering and their web traffic tools.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Wow. That only took forever. I hope it is better at sampling than their traditional offering and their web traffic tools.
Yes. But, this is only PVOD. All the major streamers can still play fast and loose with all of the Top 10 and Most Popular claims they make for all of the other content on their services. I guess that won't change until investors demand an independent rating system before they plow more money into some of these services.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Just FYI that I'm communicating with the HBO Max support team via their Twitter feed.

They're acting like they had no idea the 5.1 audio was broken.

I had supply some links from Reddit and here of folks are talking about the broken audio.

My Lord... What the hell are they doing over there?

-T

·
Administrator
19,592 Posts
I can’t remember ever NOT getting 5.1 on HBO Max.

Reactions: blade005 and ncted
641 - 660 of 682 Posts