AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
12,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
there's a countdown clock on the official HBO Max website...looks like it will unlock at 3:00 AM EST...I'm hoping it has 4K HDR/Dolby Vision support but I'm not holding my breath...I'm guessing 4K HDR support will be announced as Coming Later...

https://www.att.com/hbo-max/

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
there's a countdown clock on the official HBO Max website...looks like it will unlock at 3:00 AM EST...I'm hoping it has 4K HDR/Dolby Vision support but I'm not holding my breath...I'm guessing 4K HDR support will be announced as Coming Later...

https://www.att.com/hbo-max/
You would think they would be advertising 4K HDR/Dolby Vision in all of their press releases as another reason that $14.99 a month is a value. Disney+ did in their run up to the launch date. It feels like they are just focused on converting as many of the existing HBO and HBO NOW customers over to HBO Max at launch and it will give them an impressive subscriber number for their first financial reporting period. I guess 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision aficionados are not their launch day targets. Run up the subscriber count on the 'easy converts' first and then worry about the others later.

I am with you. Won't hold my breath, but it would be a pleasant surprise. The catalog of content will be impressive, but presenting a large portion of it in 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision/ATMOS is what would really make the $14.99 a month feel like a true value.

·
Registered
12,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I guess 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision aficionados are not their launch day targets. Run up the subscriber count on the 'easy converts' first and then worry about the others later.

I am with you. Won't hold my breath, but it would be a pleasant surprise. The catalog of content will be impressive, but presenting a large portion of it in 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision/ATMOS is what would really make the $14.99 a month feel like a true value.
Disney+, Apple TV+ all launched with 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision support but I guess AT&T must not consider it important...if there's no 4K HDR support at launch I wonder how the 1080p SDR streams will compare to the HBO Amazon Channel ones?...HBO through Amazon currently offers the best image quality so I'm wondering if HBO Max can beat that in terms of bit-rate etc

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Disney+, Apple TV+ all launched with 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision support but I guess AT&T must not consider it important...if there's no 4K HDR support at launch I wonder how the 1080p SDR streams will compare to the HBO Amazon Channel ones?...HBO through Amazon currently offers the best image quality so I'm wondering if HBO Max can beat that in terms of bit-rate etc
HBO is a prestige brand and they haven't even offered 4K support much less HDR/Dolby Vision/ATMOS support across most platforms. That makes me think none of it will be offered on HBO Max at launch.

And with less than 24 hours to launch I still have not seen distribution deals in place with Roku or Prime Video for either a standalone app or a Roku or Prime Video Channel offering. We may not even have that as a comparison at launch.

I currently own Roku TV's with Fire Stick TV devices as well. Unless something changes in the next 24 hours, or I chose an add-on (HULU) option I would prefer to avoid, I would not have a streaming device option available to view HBO Max except from a web browser window from a PC connected to my smart TV. :frown:

There will eventually be deals with Roku and Prime Video, but it is just another reminder of what pawns both sides of this think we are.

·
Registered
12,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
And with less than 24 hours to launch I still have not seen distribution deals in place with Roku or Prime Video for either a standalone app or a Roku or Prime Video Channel offering. We may not even have that as a comparison at launch
there can still be comparisons between Amazon Channels HBO versus HBO Max standalone app (in terms of content available on both such as Game of Thrones 1080p SDR across both devices)...I have HBO included as part of my Verizon FiOS cable package so I'll get 'free' access to HBO Max...hopefully 4K HDR will not take months to arrive

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
there can still be comparisons between Amazon Channels HBO versus HBO Max standalone app (in terms of content available on both such as Game of Thrones 1080p SDR across both devices)...I have HBO included as part of my Verizon FiOS cable package so I'll get 'free' access to HBO Max...hopefully 4K HDR will not take months to arrive
Good point. Unless this gets even more contentious and all HBO versions are removed from Fire TV. All parties here have shown how petty they can be in the past.

I was browsing through the Roku support forum and even there this seems way more complicated than it should be. If you have the HBO add-on through your HULU subscription on Roku you will be upgraded to HBO Max. But, if you want to access any of the 'Max' part of HBO Max you will have to install the standalone HBO Max app and use your HULU credentials to log in. Apparently you will not be able to access the 'Max' part of HBO Max from within your HULU HBO add-on subscription and the HULU interface. Brilliant!!

·
Registered
12,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I was browsing through the Roku support forum and even there this seems way more complicated than it should be. If you have the HBO add-on through your HULU subscription on Roku you will be upgraded to HBO Max. But, if you want to access any of the 'Max' part of HBO Max you will have to install the standalone HBO Max app and user your HULU credentials to log in. Apparently you will not be able to access the 'Max' part of HBO Max from within your HULU HBO add-on subscription and the HULU interface. Brilliant!!
I think that makes sense...you're not going to be able to access HBO Max through Hulu's HBO app...that's only for 'regular' HBO...same way that you won't be able to with Amazon Channels or Apple Channels HBO add-on...you need the separate app to access the HBO Max exclusives...with my FiOS sub I'll be able to access the HBO MAX app using my FiOS log-in credentials...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think that makes sense...you're not going to be able to access HBO Max through Hulu's HBO app...that's only for 'regular' HBO...same way that you won't be able to with Amazon Channels or Apple Channels HBO add-on...you need the separate app to access the HBO Max exclusives...with my FiOS sub I'll be able to access the HBO MAX app using my FiOS log-in credentials...
Yes. Unfortunately that stinks.

I like having Prime Video Channel subscriptions that rolls all of that content under the Fire TV UI and RECENT row. Makes for a much cleaner and quicker access to whatever content you are currently watching. It is also nice for content with weekly releases. When a new episode lands on a specific streaming service it also gets added to your RECENT row on Fire TV Home Screen. Back to chasing down new weekly episodes across multiple apps and unique Home Screen UI's. SIGH.....

I wonder if PEACOCK streaming will have a similar approach?

·
Registered
12,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
HBO Max is full of potential, but its biggest hurdle remains AT&T’s messy execution

WarnerMedia is an amalgamation of brands that makes it hard to define a definitive voice...compare that to Disney, which touts its classic films and five major tentpoles: Disney Animation, Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel Studios, and Disney live-action films...in contrast, HBO is a premium network known for its mature and award-winning shows targeted at adults

in its Max iteration, it hopes to bring an abundance of originals targeted at teens and children’s shows...it’s a play at a broader audience, but one that erodes anyone’s understanding of what HBO’s identity is and, more importantly, who it’s for...HBO Max doesn’t have an immediate tentpole like The Mandalorian or Stranger Things, but it does have a seemingly endless and wide array of entertainment to satiate any subscriber’s need...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/26/21268490/hbo-max-launch-price-warnermedia-att-dc-harry-potter-friends-disney-netflix-peacock

·
Registered
277 Posts
Are you able to compare it with an ATV4K? This is the first I'm reading of this.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
This is the first I'm reading of this.
Of what? That content on HBO Max may not be in 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision/ATMOS at launch?

None of their press releases leading up to the launch have confirmed this type of support. The current HBO/HBO NOW/HBO GO apps do no support it either. We are left to speculate for another few hours until launch.

·
Registered
12,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Are you able to compare it with an ATV4K? This is the first I'm reading of this.
HBO via Amazon Channels currently offers the highest bit rate and image quality...Apple TV Channels HBO is also very good but Amazon is slightly better...people have done tests comparing the bit rates

** I'm strictly talking about HBO and not comparing it against Netflix or any 4K platform

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Of what? That content on HBO Max may not be in 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision/ATMOS at launch?

None of their press releases leading up to the launch have confirmed this type of support. The current HBO/HBO NOW/HBO GO apps do no support it either. We are left to speculate for another few hours until launch.
That the HBO video quality is better than what the Apple TV channels app offers. Are you viewing HBO through the ATV or Amazon device

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That the HBO video quality is better than what the Apple TV channels app offers. Are you viewing HBO through the ATV or Amazon device
Sorry. See post #72 . He responded to your original question.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Techy scares people. AT&T is targeting the average person who already has HBO of any stripe, fancy numbers won't matter to most people who watch HBO. HBO has always been about the programs, as will be HBO Max.

·
Registered
12,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Techy scares people. AT&T is targeting the average person who already has HBO of any stripe, fancy numbers won't matter to most people who watch HBO. HBO has always been about the programs, as will be HBO Max.
4K support will be added eventually...and honestly HBO Max doesn't really have any must-see original content available at launch...I don't see anything big coming anytime soon either...it would be nice to watch Westworld or Game of Thrones in 4K Dolby Vision

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Were you commenting on whether they offer 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision/ATMOS support at launch? I think Netflix, Disney+ and Prime Video are targeting the average person as well and feel it is necessary to offer premium video and audio options to their customers.

HBO before May 27th was about quality over quantity prestige programming. The Max part of HBO Max intends to try and skew younger, more female and more diverse. And they will pump out much more quantity of content once filming can safely begin again. The quantity of content alone will make the prestige part of the old HBO suffer. Perhaps that is not a bad thing, because they have to offer more diverse content to more people to survive as a streamer. But just like Netflix, that kind of output spits out some hot garbage along with some great programming.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
There is world outside of forums.. People are more concerned with how much does it cost..Money talks..Disney is cheap, Apple TV plus is cheap, Hulu is cheap.. Netflix used to be cheap..but they have been at this for awhile. Premium features are a financial risk. We're in/ headed for bad financial times... Cheap always wins.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
4K support will be added eventually...and honestly HBO Max doesn't really have any must-see original content available at launch...I don't see anything big coming anytime soon either...it would be nice to watch Westworld or Game of Thrones in 4K Dolby Vision
HBO Max Originals may not dictate 4K/HDR at launch, but remember that Max part of HBO Max also includes all of the Warner movie catalog. Definitely some content there we would all enjoy in 4K/HDR. Like you said, eventually they will get there.

61 - 80 of 344 Posts