AVS Forum banner

841 - 860 of 907 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Not sure if you guys have watched the Mortal Kombat movie release.
Very good entertainment. Atmos is always a plus!
No dialogue issues with sound like Kong vs Godzilla.
I was pretty impressed with the Atmos effects. Especially with That 1 scene (spoiler). And the dialog was perfect.

That scene where, forget the character's name, was flying around... she had wings. Then in that same scene she gets cut into by the spinning hat. When her head hit the hat it was like the splat was coming directly from my ceiling.

-T

Reactions: Fj40jason

·
Registered
3,378 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is anyone able to play "Those Who Wish Me Dead"
It just keeps playing the trailer when I hit play.

Roku Ultra device

·
Registered
3,177 Posts

Roku Ultra device
Worked for me. I watched it last friday. Nvidia Shield Pro.

-T

Edit:. I have a different device. I'm replying anyway just as a data point for the others.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Worked for me. I watched it last friday. Nvidia Shield Pro.

-T

Edit:. I have a different device. I'm replying anyway just as a data point for the others.
Thanks. Posted up on the Roku thread.
It seems to be the 4K movies within the HBO app.
4K movies play fine on all other apps.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts

Roku Ultra device
Just tested on a 4K TCL Roku TV with the HBO Max app. No issues. You get the promo at the beginning and I selected SKIP and the movie started.

You might want to check what item/icon on the screen is highlighted when you hit PLAY. Below the detail info for the movie is a large PLAY button, then next to it is the MOVIE REEL icon that is the trailer and then there is the PLUS + icon to add it to your watchlist. Not sure if it is somehow landing on the MOVIE REEL / TRAILER icon when you hit PLAY. But, that is just a guess.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts

Roku Ultra device
It plays just fine right now on my Ultra 4660X using the HBO Max app via Xfinity sub (i.e., not via Roku Channels, if that makes a difference).

Reactions: Fj40jason

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Zaslav Re-upped Through 2027

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
HBO Max Will Debut Ad-Supported Tier At $9.99 In First Week Of June
June will give potential subscribers some new options.

HBO Max debuts ad-supported $9.99 tier and Paramount+ is dropping the ad-supported tier from $5.99 a month to $4.99 a month as they are adding 1,000 films to the movie catalog. The one caveat to the Paramount+ price drop is that you lose access to the CBS Live TV feed. If you want to keep that, they will allow you to keep the existing $5.99 per month pricing tier.

·
Registered
16,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #852 ·
June will give potential subscribers some new options.
more choice is always a good thing...hopefully subscribers to traditional HBO through various cable companies (such as Verizon FiOS which I have) will still be able to get the no-ad version of HBO Max for 'free' with an existing HBO subscription

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Tell ya what... Even tho I am paying 1.99/month for 1 year of ad supported Hulu, it is absolutely painful to watch TV shows. For that reason, I barely watch Hulu. Movies have 1 ad in beginning, then no more, so that is tolerable.

Ads while saving $5 a month on HBO Max? Doubt it's worth it.

-T

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Tell ya what... Even tho I am paying 1.99/month for 1 year of ad supported Hulu, it is absolutely painful to watch TV shows. For that reason, I barely watch Hulu. Movies have 1 ad in beginning, then no more, so that is tolerable.

Ads while saving $5 a month on HBO Max? Doubt it's worth it.
To date, the difference between ad-supported and commercial-free on these services has been small enough ($3 - $6) to justify commercial-free tier if you watch any decent amount of TV series content per month to not be tortured with ad breaks. The troubling message I keep reading from all these services is that the ad-supported subscribers bring in more revenue per month for them than the commercial-free subscribers. They are all still chasing subscriber growth, so the ad-supported tiers are not likely to increase in price. But, if they want these services to someday be profitable I fear that the logical action from them is for the commercial-free tiers to increase in price as they bring on more subscribers. I hope that is a few years off, but you never know.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The troubling message I keep reading from all these services is that the ad-supported subscribers bring in more revenue per month for them than the commercial-free subscribers.
Given the terrible ads they show on Hulu, I struggle to believe it. More in aggregate or more per subscriber?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Given the terrible ads they show on Hulu, I struggle to believe it. More in aggregate or more per subscriber?
I have always read it as a subscriber to the HULU ad-supported tier at $5.99/month generates more revenue per month when you add in advertising revenue for content watched than a subscriber to the commercial-free $11.99/month tier. There is some minimum threshold for the amount of content watched, but they all say the same thing. Ad-supported model generates more revenue per month. Which likely means the commercial-free tier on these services will get a price hike eventually. I was surprised that over 70% of Hulu VOD subscribers are on the ad-supported tier. I watch too much on Hulu to endure that.

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
The ad supported tier of HBO sounds somewhat acceptable IIRC: No ads during HBOMax original content. No ads during movies.

Now, if one dives deeper into the Warner catalog, watching old re-runs of Friends for example, the ads could get really tedious really fast.

--

Does Paramount+ handle ads the same way or are they inserting them into movies? Keeping ads out of the middle of movies could be a significant differentiator -- both positive, for viewers, and negative, for revenue.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
The ad supported tier of HBO sounds somewhat acceptable IIRC: No ads during HBOMax original content. No ads during movies.
Are you saying that there will only be ads before and after HBO Max Originals and Movies and no ad interruptions during playback? What about HBO Original content (Sopranos, GoT, The Nevers)?

I read through a number of the articles released today based on their Upfront presentation, but have not see anything that says HBO Max Original content and Movies are excluded from ads. That would remove a lot of potential advertising revenue. The only thing that is mentioned on the ad-supported tier is that you don't get access to the same-day theatrical releases that you do with the $14.99 tier. But, that goes away at the end of 2021.

Also read that they are planning to implement the 'commercials with pause' treatment that other ad-supported tiers are experimenting with. :eek: No thanks.....

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
I read that plan (no ads interrupting their originals) when the tier was first announced but can’t find the reference now. That may not be the plan any longer or the article I read may have been wrong, especially if none of the recent press mentions it.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I read that plan (no ads interrupting their originals) when the tier was first announced but can’t find the reference now. That may not be the plan any longer or the article I read may have been wrong, especially if none of the recent press mentions it.
Yea. I remember when the ad-supported plan was first announced months ago that Jason Kilar mentioned they were considering not having commercials on what they considered the HBO linear legacy content. (Sopranos, Six Feet Under, GoT. etc.) But, that would be a confusing mess to manage and to get customers to understand. Everything I have read in the last few days and today sounds like commercials with all content, but limited and even some 'sponsored by' partnerships.

If they keep the ad loads light and work with some sponsors to have 'sponsored by' treatments that might have just pre and post roll advertisements, that could be a compelling offer for subscribers seeking a value priced option.

Reactions: nathan_h
841 - 860 of 907 Posts