AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 907 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I read that plan (no ads interrupting their originals) when the tier was first announced but can’t find the reference now. That may not be the plan any longer or the article I read may have been wrong, especially if none of the recent press mentions it.
Here is an article that does mention what you referenced earlier. But it still sounds vague. What is included in HBO Original programming? HBO Originals from linear channel? Does it also include HBO Max Originals? That seems like a lot of content to leave out.

The lower-cost tier will not include the day-and-date Warner Bros. movie premieres throughout 2021 — but otherwise will be the same as the full-freight product. Also, the version of HBO Max with ads will not run commercials against HBO’s original programming.

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
Here is an article that does mention what you referenced earlier. But it still sounds vague. What is included in HBO Original programming? HBO Originals from linear channel? Does it also include HBO Max Originals? That seems like a lot of content to leave out.

yeah at this point it would be impossible to really predict what it will look like and of course they may change it even after launch

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
yeah at this point it would be impossible to really predict what it will look like and of course they may change it even after launch
True. The articles all say an early June launch. So, we will know pretty soon what content is or is not loaded up with ads.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Reactions: Keenan

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Here is an article later in the day that provides a little more detail. Sounds like what would be considered traditional HBO Originals will not carry ads, but content under the newer HBO Max Originals brand will. I guess that could work. They have left themselves a place where what they consider Prestige HBO shows, past (Sopranos, GoT) and present (Mare of Easttown, The Nevers) can stream ad-free, but they can brand other new content HBO Max Originals and run ads against them.

There are two important carve-outs on the cheaper tier of HBO Max. Subscribers won’t get access to day-and-date movies from Warner Bros in 2021, though the films will eventually wind up on the platform. And HBO series, like the current drama Mare of Easttown, won’t carry ads, though Max Originals like The Flight Attendant will, along with most of the remaining 13,000 hours of programming.

·
Registered
16,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #868 ·
Here is an article later in the day that provides a little more detail. Sounds like what would be considered traditional HBO Originals will not carry ads, but content under the newer HBO Max Originals brand will. I guess that could work. They have left themselves a place where what they consider Prestige HBO shows, past (Sopranos, GoT) and present (Mare of Easttown, The Nevers) can stream ad-free, but they can brand other new content HBO Max Originals and run ads against them.
strange that HBO Originals would not have ads but HBO Max Originals would...goes to show that the HBO Originals are considered a higher tier of quality...even when HBO Max was first announced I never understood how HBO was going to split their originals up...would HBO Max get Game of Thrones and Sopranos type of quality originals?...would Max get the same budget as HBO?...they were sort of watering down their brand...either way I'm glad HBO is still considered the premium destination

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
strange that HBO Originals would not have ads but HBO Max Originals would...goes to show that the HBO Originals are considered a higher tier of quality...even when HBO Max was first announced I never understood how HBO was going to split their originals up...would HBO Max get Game of Thrones and Sopranos type of quality originals?...would Max get the same budget as HBO?...they were sort of watering down their brand...either way I'm glad HBO is still considered the premium destination
Agreed. I think this is a logical break. HBO Max Originals are going after a more diverse and younger audience than the traditional HBO did with their programming. That takes a lot of money and you need to pull in revenue everywhere you can. You have to cast a far content net now to survive as a major streaming service. Leaving HBO Originals ad-free allows them to signal to audiences and talent what they consider their prestige projects. It gives them a platform where they can go after marquee talent that might be opposed to being on a show that is interrupted with ads, but would be happy to anchor a prestige show on the ad-free HBO platform.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Agreed. I think this is a logical break. HBO Max Originals are going after a more diverse and younger audience than the traditional HBO did with their programming. That takes a lot of money and you need to pull in revenue everywhere you can. You have to cast a far content net now to survive as a major streaming service. Leaving HBO Originals ad-free allows them to signal to audiences and talent what they consider their prestige projects. It gives them a platform where they can go after marquee talent that might be opposed to being on a show that is interrupted with ads, but would be happy to anchor a prestige show on the ad-free HBO platform.
I wonder if that is their future thoughts on how too move forward. Will there just be HBO Original programming(no commercials), and no more HBO MAX Original programming? In order to avoid confusion. Which AT&T was HORRIBLE at: HBO NOW, HBO GO, HBO MAX, HBO, etc... , G*d, now I have a friggin headache.

So, going forward, any of their CURRATED content from DC, TCM, Looney Toons, Friends, Big Bang Theory, any TV show they have acquired, or any movie they have acquired, will have commercials at the $9.99 level.

Everything except HBO Original programming, which include series, mini series, regular TV shows(Last Week Tonight, Real Sports, Real Time with Bill Maher), original movies through HBO productions, which will have no commercials.

I think this is how it goes forward. But who knows how this plays out with the Discovery+ acquisition, and how they will either have or not have commercial level tier, and commercial free tier.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Sounds like John Malone is already trying to start the merger of Discovery - WarnerMedia with NBC Universal. WOW!!

Malone left the door open for future business partnerships or a future merger between the newly combined WarnerMedia-Discovery and NBCUniversal.

Count John Malone among those anticipating a potential future tie-up between a combined WarnerMedia-Discovery and Comcast’s NBCUniversal.

The billionaire media mogul and controlling Discovery shareholder told CNBC on Monday he’s already held discussions with Comcast Chief Executive Officer Brian Roberts about different combinations of corporate relationships regarding NBCUniversal.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
HBO Max With Ads Launches: What’s Different in the $10 Monthly Plan

WarnerMedia launched a cheaper, ad-supported version of HBO Max on Wednesday, available first in the U.S.

For the $9.99 monthly plan for HBO Max with ads, the company promises throwing up no more than four minutes of commercials per hour of streaming content. It’s priced at 33% off the regular $14.99-per-month version of HBO Max without ads.

Also Wednesday, the company is launching one-year HBO Max pricing plans for new and returning subscribers, offering a 16% discount for those who lock in for 12 months: the ad-supported tier of HBO Max costs $99.99 per year and the zero-ads version is $149.99 per year.

Aside from commercial breaks and other ad formats, the ad-supported HBO Max version has a few other key differences from the full-price tier:
  • The ad-supported tier will not include the ability to download content for offline viewing.
  • Streaming video quality will be capped at 1080p, whereas select titles in the regular HBO Max without ads are available in 4K Ultra HD.
  • Warner Bros. same-day premiere films debuting in theaters and on HBO Max throughout 2021 are not included in the HBO Max ad-supported tier. However, all of those titles are slated to become available on both plans when the films debut on the streaming service in the months following their theatrical releases as part of HBO’s output deal with Warner Bros.
Otherwise, the lineup of programming is the same on HBO Max subscription tiers, which includes all content from HBO, as well as movies and shows from Warner Bros., DC, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network and more. According to WarnerMedia, in the HBO Max with ads version, commercials will not play during HBO programming.

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'm curious how HBO Max with Ads will treat movies. Will they have ads at all? (Ad-supported Hulu used to not have ads in any movies, not sure if that's still true or not.) If so, will all the ads roll before the movie starts (like Peacock does) or will there be interruptions? Will movies inside the HBO hub be ad-free while non-HBO movies have ads?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Thought this was an interesting comparison now that HBO Max has launched their ad-supported plan.

HBO Max vs. Peacock, Paramount+, and Hulu: Who Gives Streamers A Better Experience With Ads?
JUN 3, 2021, 6:30 AM PDT – Jeff Kotuby, Jason Gurwin

HBO Max’s ad-supported tier has just joined the fray, meaning they’re the most recent streaming service to provide users access to their library of content for a cheaper price, with the caveat that there will be ads interspersed throughout their viewing experience.

While ad-supported plans have been a great way to save a little of money, is it worth it? We’ve compared the various services, how many ads to expect, and what features you might give up by not choosing the ad-free plans.

HBO Max vs. Peacock, Paramount+, and Hulu At A Glance

ServicePriceAds Per HourSimultaneous Streams4K StreamingOffline ModeLive Sports
HBO Max$9.994 min/hr (none during HBO programming)3NoNoNo
Peacock$4.99 (Free for Comcast & Cox Customers)5 min/hr3NoNoPremier League & WWE
Paramount Plus$5.999-10 min/hr3NoNoNFL & Champions League
Hulu$5.999-10 min/hr2Select shows & movies on certain devicesNoNHL & ESPN+ Upgrade

Ads Per Hour
While it is the most expensive at $9.99 a month, HBO Max also has the fewest ads at just 4 minutes per hour. On certain content, there will be less than that, for instance HBO originals and movies won’t have any. Certain shows like Friends will only have two short ad-blocks in the middle.

Peacock, which is half the price of HBO Max, and free in many cases, only has five minutes per hour, which is nearly half that of Hulu and Paramount+.

Number of Streams
Outside of Hulu which offers two simultaneous streams, HBO Max, Peacock, and Paramount+ each offer three simultaneous streams. Since they all offer user profiles, that means you will be able to share it with the whole family.

4K and Offline Mode
Currently, no ad-supported streaming service offers offline downloads. This feature has been held back for users on HBO Max Ad-Free ($14.99), Peacock Premium Plus ($9.99), Paramount+ No Ads ($9.99), and Hulu No Ads ($11.99).

Hulu is the only streaming service that includes 4K on select content on their ad-supported plan. While it’s only available on select content on HBO Max and Paramount+, that’s only available on their higher priced ad-free plan.

Content
At $9.99 a month, HBO Max is the priciest of its competition but offers a vast library of WarnerMedia and HBO movies, shows, and HBO originals that you can’t find anywhere else.

This includes “Friends”, “The Big Bang Theory”, “South Park”, “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”, “The West Wing”, and more, as well as fan-favorite HBO shows like “The Sopranos”, “The Wire”, “Curb Your Enthusiasm”, and more. As part of the ad-supported plan, you won’t get access to same day theatrical releases.

If you’re looking to stream the Star Trek Universe, Paramount+ has you covered with multiple original series like Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Picard. They also bring in content from across Viacom’s owned channels like MTV, VH1, BET, Comedy Central, and kids content on Nickelodeon.

Hulu has a mix of high-quality original series like “The Handmaid’s Tale”, movies like “Nomadland” and “Palm Springs”, and a library of shows and movies from networks like ABC, NBC, Fox, and cable channels like Bravo, USA Network, and FX.

Peacock has an ever changing library of movies and TV shows, but it is the exclusive streaming home to shows like “Yellowstone”, originals like the “Saved By The Bell” and “Punky Brewster” reboots, and the entire libraries of The Office, Parks and Recreation, Law & Order, and Chicago Fire.

Live Sports
Regardless whether you are on an ad-supported or ad-free plan, some of the services offer live sports. Peacock includes Premier League matches that aren’t on TV, along with WWE Network including PPV events at no extra charge.

Starting in the fall, Hulu will stream select NHL games, and you can integrate your ESPN+ subscription for more live sports. Paramount+ has a wide variety of live sports including NFL, College Football & Basketball, Champions League, and PGA Tour Golf.

While Turner recently acquired NHL rights, which allow them to stream select games on HBO Max,they currently don’t have plans to add it to the platform.

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,528 Posts
I can’t get Dolby Vision (or regular HDR) and Dolby Atmos working on HBO Max suddenly. This goes for Fire Stick 4k and PS5, no problems with any other apps. It worked fine the last time I watched a 4k movie on the app, which was I think Mortal Kombat. I can’t for the life of me figure out what the problem is. Any ideas?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I can’t get Dolby Vision (or regular HDR) and Dolby Atmos working on HBO Max suddenly. This goes for Fire Stick 4k and PS5, no problems with any other apps. It worked fine the last time I watched a 4k movie on the app, which was I think Mortal Kombat. I can’t for the life of me figure out what the problem is. Any ideas?
The HBO Max app is screwed on Apple TV on most recent update, and possibly other platforms, too.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
HBO Max did update on Fire TV to 50.30.0.252 on June 2nd and is likely part of the problem.

I checked the HBO Max app on a TCL Roku TV that supports DV / HDR and Dolby ATMOS. Both are working on the Roku / HBO Max app.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep it is giving me issues on Apple Tv as well, I've tested this my XS and through my TV (Samsung) and HDR isn't working on either of those. I was gonna watch the Conjuring 3 but now I feel I should wait until they resolve this issue. HDR is working with every other app tho

861 - 880 of 907 Posts