AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
12,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
HBO Max Originals may not dictate 4K/HDR at launch, but remember that Max part of HBO Max also includes all of the Warner movie catalog. Definitely some content there we would all enjoy in 4K/HDR. Like you said, eventually they will get there.
I was surprised to read that none of the Harry Potter movies will be available on HBO Max until at least 2025...the recent Harry Potter 4K Collection box-set was pretty impressive (especially the first 2 movies)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I was surprised to read that none of the Harry Potter movies will be available on HBO Max until at least 2025...the recent Harry Potter 4K Collection box-set was pretty impressive (especially the first 2 movies)
Welcome to the world of streaming rights. I read that also. NBC Universal has the streaming rights until 2025. I guess they will be on Peacock in a few months!!

I watched an episode of Disney Gallery about the making of The Mandalorian and Favreau mentioned his work on The Jungle Book remake and some of the technology used. I thought what a good idea, let's check out The Jungle Book in glorious 4K/Dolby Vision/ATMOS. I can on March 30, 2021 when streaming rights are available. ARRRGGGHHH!!

Now that all the big players/studios are in the streaming game they should call a cease fire / detente, get in a room and everyone agrees to give back license fee revenues committed to and streaming rights all revert back to parent studios. Disney probably has another 3 to 4 years to untangle all of their license agreements to outside parties. 5 years for Harry Potter to find his way home to Hogwarts. Jeez!!

Reactions: TitusTroy

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Just saw this posted on the Roku forum from someone that signed up for HBO Max a few days ago. They just received an update this evening on platform access at launch.

"WarnerMedia's new streaming platform, HBO Max, is available on Wednesday!

We want you to have access to your favorite shows and movies — see below for all the ways you can stream HBO Max starting tomorrow. You may have a device that doesn't support HBO Max. We're working to add even more ways you can access our platform, so stay tuned for updates.

Here's where you can stream HBO Max Wednesday morning:

• Android phones and tablets
  • Android TV (including most Sony Android TVs, 2016 models and later)
  • Apple TV (4th generation and later)
  • Web (at HBOMax.com)
  • Google Chromecast
  • Chromebooks
  • iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
  • PlayStation 4
  • Samsung TV (2016 models and later)
  • Xbox One
If you don't have the HBO Max app, open the app store on any supported device, search for HBO Max, and install the app. Once installed, open HBO Max and sign in using your HBO NOW email and password. Then, you can stream HBO plus SO much more."

I guess we can officially say that Roku and Amazon Fire TV will miss the HBO Max Launch Party at 3AM EDT.

·
Registered
12,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Good News: in a nice surprise all 8 Harry Potter movies are available on HBO MAX...looks like a last minute deal was struck...

Bad News: no 4K HDR support at launch

·
Registered
12,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
HBO Max delivers 1080p at 2x bitrate compared to HBO Now

HBO has often been criticized for its low streaming quality...while it has technically delivered 1080p HD, the low bitrate (level of compression) has made its shows look far worse than 1080p content on competing streaming services...it is disappointing to see HBO Max launch without 4K HDR support but at least it delivers significantly higher video bitrate for 1080p...FlatpanelsHD is seeing an average of 7-10 Mb/s bitrate for 1080p (with MPEG4 AVC) while streaming Joker, Wonder Woman, Batman v Superman, and X-Men: Dark Phoenix, with video bitrate peak at around 13-14 Mb/s

For comparison HBO Now and HBO Go typically hovered around 4-5 Mb/s for 1080p while HBO Europe/Nordic is even lower at around 3.5 Mb/s...in other words, you are getting two to three times as high throughput with HBO Max...HBO Max delivers better HD streaming quality than Netflix and many other providers, surpassing even Apple's 1080p bitrate (but obviously not Apple's 4K HDR bitrate)

We are getting audio in Dolby Digital (AC-3) and 384 Kb/s bitrate

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1590578825

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I won’t be signing up for HBO max until either 4K HDR support or the game of thrones spinoff comes out! Hopefully the Syder cut of justice league gets a UHD release also on digital and disc! I’m already paying for 5 streaming subscriptions and have Apple+ for free until November. IMO 14.99 a month without UHD is not worth it! I had HBO NOW just for GOT and then canceled. Same with showtime for Ray Donovan.

·
Registered
12,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
had no issues signing into HBO Max with my Verizon FiOS log-in info...disappointed that there's no 4K HDR support at launch...hopefully it won't take months to get it...at least the 1080p quality is comparable to Amazon's HBO Channel add-on (in terms of average/peak bit-rates)...so I can now cancel my Amazon HBO subscription and save $15 a month

one of the first things I checked out was The Long Night episode of GoT...still is too dark but looks better then when I watched it through the linear HBO channel (FiOS) but I think you really need the UHD to appreciate this episode and see it how it was intended

I'm glad I'm getting HBO Max 'free' as part of my Verizon FiOS package...if I wasn't I would still probably pay for HBO Max because it does offer the best image quality even in 1080p...HBO has a lot of great content so it's worth it and once they add 4K HDR support it'll be a no-brainer

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I agree with the general sentiment here. Launching in 2020 without 4K and/or HDR in inexcusable and than charging $15 per month for it is plain stupid IMO. HBO does make some of the best TV content out there but I feel they are over estimating the value proposition of HBO Max.

Reactions: musicman0725

·
Registered
12,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
HBO Max Is Available to Comcast Customers, After WarnerMedia Lands Post-Launch Deal

Better late than never: WarnerMedia clinched a deal with Comcast for HBO Max, with the final pact officially hammered into place just hours after the super-size streaming service launched early Wednesday...under the deal, Comcast’s existing HBO subscribers with Xfinity X1 and Xfinity Flex will be able to log in to HBO Max on supported devices — for no additional charge...

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/hbo-max-comcast-deal-warnermedia-1234617114/

·
Premium Member
35,128 Posts
HBO Max Is Available to Comcast Customers, After WarnerMedia Lands Post-Launch Deal

Better late than never: WarnerMedia clinched a deal with Comcast for HBO Max, with the final pact officially hammered into place just hours after the super-size streaming service launched early Wednesday...under the deal, Comcast’s existing HBO subscribers with Xfinity X1 and Xfinity Flex will be able to log in to HBO Max on supported devices — for no additional charge...

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/hbo-max-comcast-deal-warnermedia-1234617114/
So no go for standard Comcast subscribers as it appears you need to have the Comcast X1 STB and or the Comcast Xfinity Flex service and box in order to get HBO Max.

·
Registered
12,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
So no go for standard Comcast subscribers as it appears you need to have the Comcast X1 STB and or the Comcast Xfinity Flex service and box in order to get HBO Max.
either way it replaces HBO Now and Amazon Channels HBO add-on (which was the definitive app as far as image quality)...so if you're subscribed to any of those you can cancel and sign up for HBO Max and break even as far as price...same if you're subscribed to HBO through Comcast, just cancel and sign up for Max...the $14.99 price is the same no matter what device you're using

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Good News: in a nice surprise all 8 Harry Potter movies are available on HBO MAX...looks like a last minute deal was struck...

Bad News: no 4K HDR support at launch
Harry did make it home to Hogwarts!!

I wonder if it is one of those temporary deals? I believe Disney did the same with a few titles. Made a deal so they were there on launch day and then a few months later they were off the service until outside streaming rights are expired.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Quick browse around HBO Max and all three (3) LORD OF THE RINGS movies are there and the first and third movie of THE HOBBIT. No listing for THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG.

EDIT: Just looked in the LAST CHANCE section and the two HOBBIT movies still available will be dropping off soon.

I guess the Journey will be interrupted...

·
Registered
12,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
the Amazon/Roku stalemate is interesting...if I were HBO I would not allow Max to be included as part of Amazon/Apple Channels...keep the regular HBO as part of Amazon/Apple channels and force people interested in Max to use the separate app

I think the confusing part is that 'regular' HBO is the same price as HBO Max ($14.99)...so I can understand Amazon/Apple saying if it's the same price why can't we get access to HBO Max...in the end Max is going to be treated the same as Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu etc and not be included as part of the Channels add-on

·
Registered
12,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Quick browse around HBO Max and all three (3) LORD OF THE RINGS movies are there and the first and third movie of THE HOBBIT. No listing for THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG.

EDIT: Just looked in the LAST CHANCE section and the two HOBBIT movies still available will be dropping off soon.

I guess the Journey will be interrupted...
the Last Chance section is strange...they literally just launched the service and already titles are going to be dropping after a few days (May 31st?)...there are a few movies I've been meaning to watch in that Last Chance section- The Meg and BlacKkKlansman...so it looks like I better watch it soon

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
the Last Chance section is strange...they literally just launched the service and already titles are going to be dropping after a few days (May 31st?)...there are a few movies I've been meaning to watch in that Last Chance section- The Meg and BlacKkKlansman...so it looks like I better watch it soon
I am guessing that is just carry over from the HBO service.

EDIT. Never mind. Just did a quick check of LAST CHANCE on HBO GO vs. HBO Max and very different titles listed. HBO GO doesn't even have any of THE HOBBIT movies listed. So, I guess there is some definite short term rights 'stuffing' of the launch day titles that will change rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

·
Registered
12,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
so Doom Patrol season 2 is premiering on HBO Max in June...but why would anyone watch it on HBO Max in 1080p when it'll also be available on DC Universe in 4K HDR

·
Registered
607 Posts
I was able to log in to the Samsung TV app using my Comcast credentials. I do have a 4K X1 box, but the app is not on there yet.

I sampled a minute of Doctor Who, which was not in Dolby Digital, and Westworld, which was in DD+. Doctor Who did not look great, but the first seasons of the 2005 series were not in HD. Westworld took a few seconds to zing into an HD picture, which did look good once it settled in. The closed captioning font was way too big. There should be a way to knock it down a bit.

This will likely be the way to watch HBO, assuming someone confirms it is at least in 1080i and not downrezzed to 720p to non-compete with Comcast.

·
Premium Member
35,128 Posts
either way it replaces HBO Now and Amazon Channels HBO add-on (which was the definitive app as far as image quality)...so if you're subscribed to any of those you can cancel and sign up for HBO Max and break even as far as price...same if you're subscribed to HBO through Comcast, just cancel and sign up for Max...the $14.99 price is the same no matter what device you're using
Yeah, that article isn't very well written, regular Comcast subs will also be switched to the Max version and not just those who use Comcast equipment.

In any case, I'll check back later when AT&T catches up with the competition and discovers what 4K is. Not having the two largest streaming platforms on board at launch is a major fail and should not have happened. This is AT&T though, a company that's never shown itself to be run competently and forward-looking(buying DirecTV???) so this launch performance is not unexpected.

81 - 100 of 344 Posts