1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
A stand alone HBO service will finally be made available for non cable subscribers. HBO Now will debut April (exact date has not been specified), and will be available online via pcs, with a 3 month 'set top' exclusivity period on Apple TV.
Afterwards, HBO will allow other set top devices in on the party.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/soon-youll-be-able-to-get-hbo-through-apple.html?mid=facebook_vulture

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/4/8149579/hbo-now-streaming-service-name-pricing-report
I'm excited this is happening, but I wish it were $10 and not $15.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm excited this is happening, but I wish it were $10 and not $15.
My thoughts exactly. At 120$ per year I might jump in. That's a comparable price to Amazon Prime, and I think I'd get comparable benefit from it. But at 180$ per year it's in a totally different league in price. I just don't think enough value is there for my family to justify that price. If they were to expressly allow multiple households to share a subscription, that might tip the scales for them. But I'd be pretty surprised to see that.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
My thoughts exactly. At 120$ per year I might jump in. That's a comparable price to Amazon Prime, and I think I'd get comparable benefit from it. But at 180$ per year it's in a totally different league in price. I just don't think enough value is there for my family to justify that price. If they were to expressly allow multiple households to share a subscription, that might tip the scales for them. But I'd be pretty surprised to see that.
They said that you can have 3 active devices streaming at the same time. Better than SlingTVs 1 active device.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
They said that you can have 3 active devices streaming at the same time. Better than SlingTVs 1 active device.
There's already been news on services eliminating stream sharing in the near future. Essentially their going to keep track of where you login. Too many people sharing their accounts. Multiple device streaming from HBO isn't a big deal since my wife and I watch the same programs and my son is too young.

Even though I think HBO has some of the best shows, they do not have the variety that Netflix has. Amazon has a fair amount of content, but for Prime members only the previous season's are free. I can stream this season's Vikings directly from the History channel, but you have to pay for it on Amazon.

HBO Now is great and I'm glad they're doing it, but until they lower the price I'll be waiting on the sidelines. :( I just can't justify the cost.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Does that mean we can subscribe just for a month and binge-watch the GoT S5 and then cancel?
U can do that now with sat/cable for cheaper. There are so many premium channel promos. Just call retention. I haven't paid more than 9.99 for HBO. Currently I have hbo, sho, max for $19.99. That after coming off free 3 months free of hbo/sho. Everytime I see a promo for new customers, I call retention. Been doing that for years. With HBO Now and the upcoming Sho "Now" it will be much easier to call retention and have the cable company give u those HBO/SHO promos to keep u as a premium subscriber.

Also, has onDemand for HBO Now been confirmed. It was stated last week it was limited ondemand and other limitations.

·
Premium Member
36,353 Posts
Since HBO sh!t-canned their in-house streaming media group and are now going with MLBAM(Major League Baseball Advanced Media) for this new offering I'm curious about how good the quality will be. With the right device, such as a TiVo Roamio, MLB.tv can look extremely good, especially for a live transmission. It's not full-blown top shelf HD(though much of the stuff on TV is not even that quality anymore) but it really can look good. Since HBO content is not live event streaming I'm expecting it will, or should, look as good as the best Netflix and Amazon content as far as picture quality.

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
U can do that now with sat/cable for cheaper. There are so many premium channel promos. Just call retention. I haven't paid more than 9.99 for HBO. Currently I have hbo, sho, max for $19.99. That after coming off free 3 months free of hbo/sho. Everytime I see a promo for new customers, I call retention. Been doing that for years. With HBO Now and the upcoming Sho "Now" it will be much easier to call retention and have the cable company give u those HBO/SHO promos to keep u as a premium subscriber.

Also, has onDemand for HBO Now been confirmed. It was stated last week it was limited ondemand and other limitations.
To get premium channels on a cable system usually requires an additional "tax" in that you need to subscribe to the "extended" cable networks not just basic cable.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts

Thanks for your input but I cut the cord 15 years ago and never looked back. I do enjoy some HBO series like the GoT and Boardwalk Empire so this just might be the ticket.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does that mean we can subscribe just for a month and binge-watch the GoT S5 and then cancel?
Nowhere have I read that G.O.T. will release all the episodes at once for 'binge' watching. AFAIK, it will still be releasing weekly episodes. If ya' wanna 'binge' you'll have to wait till the end of the season.:mad:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Nowhere have I read that G.O.T. will release all the episodes at once for 'binge' watching. AFAIK, it will still be releasing weekly episodes. If ya' wanna 'binge' you'll have to wait till the end of the season.:mad:
GoT is not a Netflix show, so yeah I plan on subscribing after all the season episodes air.

·
23,032 Posts
What if they only provide the most recent 5 episodes ala Hulu? Perfect pairing BTW of two elitist companies. ;)
That's something like I was thinking. It would be surprising if they let you watch a whole season of a show for a 1 month fee. Plus, maybe now's the time for HBO to start adding commercials to it's programming.... :)

·
Premium Member
36,353 Posts
And this will certainly complicate things,

TV/Business Notes
HBO Now Pricing Could Vary
Distribution Partners Will Have A Say
By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News

While Apple will offer HBO Now, the premium programmer’s coming stand-alone OTT service, for $14.95 per month, that price point apparently has the potential to move up or down, depending on how HBO and its other partners decide to sell it.

The FAQ for HBO Now acknowledges that “subscription prices may vary by participating partners.”

During Apple’s three-month exclusive on the product, it will sell subscriptions to HBO Now via the iTunes platform, enabling access via the Apple TV box or through the HBO Now app in the Apple App Store.

HBO has already indicated that it is in talks with existing distributors and “new digital partners” about offering HBO Now, a group that is likely to include telcos and other ISPs that don’t offer traditional pay-TV packages. It’s not yet clear if cable operators will work with HBO on campaigns aimed at selling the new product to broadband-only customers in exchange for a cut.

Of the MVPDs contacted by Multichannel News, only Cox Communications has commented, confirming that it’s having conversations with HBO to learn about the new product, but that its current distribution agreements with HBO remain unchanged.

The HBO Now FAQ also notes that it’s also “exploring international opportunities and will provide updates as available. HBO already has some OTT activity underway overseas through HBO Nordic, a joint venture with Parsifal International launched in 2012 that provides a broadband-only video subscription service in Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark.

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/bauminator/hbo-now-pricing-could-vary/388719

1 - 20 of 27 Posts