AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're a sports fan, this is a must see.

From the Washington Examiner
Quote:
Magic and Bird: A rivalry for the ages

By Jim Williams

The NBA that so many fans enjoy today would very likely have not existed without the influence of two men who came into the league at the same time and created a rivalry that elevated the sport -- first on a national level, then on a world stage.

HBO Sports is airing an outstanding documentary this month, "Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals." The film does an outstanding job of explaining how Magic Johnson and Larry Bird put the NBA firmly on the map and took it to a level that it really had not been before.

I spoke to former L.A. Times columnist and author Steve Springer who was a contributor to the HBO documentary about the importance of Magic and Bird.

The NBA had rivalries before Magic and Bird. What made theirs so special?

Springer » You had the two best teams in the NBA, the two most storied rivals in the Lakers and the Celtics and then you had Magic and Bird both coming into the league at the same time having instant impact. It was East Coast vs. West Coast and there is no doubt that that duo made the NBA. The 1980 NBA championship was aired on tape delay at 11:30 p.m. and after that season it was primetime -- all the because of the Lakers-Celtics and Magic-Bird."

They couldn't have been more different, yet they became great friends.

Springer » I covered the Lakers and, for a long time, they did not get along by any means. They were bitter rivals -- more Bird than Magic -- but after they did a Converse spot together, things changed. Magic charmed Bird's mother and brother and they began to talk to each other and realized how much they were alike. So they began to become friends and that friendship got even closer when Magic got HIV. Larry, whose father committed suicide when he was young, did not want to lose Magic and that really cemented their deep friendship.

What one thing do you hope basketball fans take away from this film?

Springer » At its best, NBA basketball is a team game. Both Magic and Bird played the team game better than any two superstars I have ever seen. Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James are all great players, but they are not close to being the kind of consummate team players Magic and Bird were.

"Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals" can be seen all month on HBO. Also look for Springer's new book on Jeanie Buss and her role with the Lakers.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Great program. Great memories.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
could anyone tell me how i can watch this show outside of the USA.

i am huge sportsfan and would love to see this docu.

·
Registered
924 Posts
fantastic documentary. I feel I know a lot more about Magic and Bird now -the players and the people. Great insight, great pacing.

Same mold as the 24/7 Boxing series which is also fantastic. They even made the Nascar one (Jimmie Johnson) very compelling. Liev Schriber (sp?) may be the best narrator in the business.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The 1984 NBA finals were featured in this show. I still have Game 7 , if you can believe it, on a Beta tape. I've watched this tape a few times over the years and, to me, it's really shocking how the NBA game has changed. You don't really notice the changes from one year to the next, but when you see that game and compare it to the current game the contrast is dramatic. And I don't mean just the length of the shorts!

The athletes today are better, no question. But, do any teams today play with the percision you'll see in that game? Game 7 was played at a faster pace, with greater team play and was more wide open full court than you see today.

While just my opinion, I think there are three reasons for this. First, salary caps and free agency make it more difficult to keep players together in order to establish the rapport you'll see in this game. Second, the game today is much more physical because the officials allow more contact. A lot more. While going into the lane was dangerous even then, it's much more brutal now. Finally, the three point shot. While it existed in 1984, the tendency to use half court basketball, to set up the 3 pointer, wasn't anything like we see today.

By all means watch this show, it is one of the finest sports shows I've ever seen. If you ever get a chance to see Game 7 of the 84 Finals, see if you don't have a reacation similar to mine. I'd love to see the NBA game, I saw then, return.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts