AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched Forrest Gump the other night in OAR. Now tonight's Money Train also in OAR.

Has HBO seen the light? Hoppa Hoppa.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
No, they havent seen anything. You're just seeing old transfers that they made before they decided we needed our screens filled all the time.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yeah, don't get your hopes up. I saw an old transfer of Tootsie last year and was excited, until I learned that it was just a fluke. New transfers are 16:9 no matter the original aspect ratio.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I didn't mind the zillion other threads where someone saw an HBO movie in OAR and thought HBO changed their policy. At least those others had a question mark at the end of the thread title or gave some other indication that it was a question.

This one really threw me for a loop. With the exclamation point, I thought that maybe there was a monstrous, but unbelievable, announcement from HBO that they reversed their pan and butcher policy. My heart rate just about doubled, I got the sweats, I couldn't swallow my mouthful of food, and well I just about collapsed in anticipation of the posts coming up. And then I find it was just the same bad assumption that was made in all the other threads. I was sooooooooooooo disappointed. I don't think this kind of thing is covered by free speech under the 1st Amendment. It may be worse than yelling fire in a crowded theater. :D

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I have never supported HBO's non-OAR policy; but I have never gotten my panties in a bunch over it either.

But from the sound of it I should be very concerned. Call me a heathan I just don't see the overwhelming benefit. There will be lost information one way or another. There's no perfect way to represent 2.35:1 movies via 16:9 image

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Well, HBO may not be doing the 'DEW', but others are. A couple months ago I watched 'Blow' on HDNet and it was in the original 2.35 ratio. It was spectacular.

So, at least we have that. Hopefully, HDNet will set the standard for others to follow.

Chris

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I've been seeing an increasing number of OAR movies on HBO, and not just old transfers. Many of these movies were 1.85:1, so the black bars were small. You might not even notice them because of your set's overscan.

A change in policy? Not exactly. The pattern I see is that the OAR films were transferred by the studio and delivered to HBO in digital form. It may be HBO's policy to do cropping on their own transfers, but when someone offers to hand them a videocassette saving them the trouble of doing the transfer themselves, it seems they are not too picky about aspect ratio.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
MrWigggles said:

I have never supported HBO's non-OAR policy; but I have never gotten my panties in a bunch over it either.
I don't like my panties to bunch up either, but I do want to see the same movie I would have seen in the theater. HBO doesn't give us that if the movie's OAR is 2.35 and that's upsetting for someone who really enjoys movies.

Quote:
MrWigggles said:

Call me a heathan I just don't see the overwhelming benefit. There will be lost information one way or another. There's no perfect way to represent 2.35:1 movies via 16:9 image
I don't understand how there will be lost information with a 2.35 movie in OAR. Could you explain?

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Well, I'd have thought you guys wore boxers or briefs rather than panties. Who knew. :D

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Linda Britt
Well, I'd have thought you guys wore boxers or briefs rather than panties. Who knew. :D
Well, Linda, it sort of depends upon what we're doing or what we're discussing :D

·
Registered
33,551 Posts
The funny thing about OAR (and yes, I support OAR) is that given the time span between when you see a movie in the theater and when you see it in HD on satellite, I'd be willing to BET that most people (even the most adamant supporters of OAR) would be unable to remember what was missing and had been cropped out. Yes, there are exceptions, but for the most part who would REALLY remember that the cigarette lighter that was on the table in the movies has now been cropped out? I think we go a bit overboard with this stuff.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
The funny thing about OAR (and yes, I support OAR) is that given the time span between when you see a movie in the theater and when you see it in HD on satellite, I'd be willing to BET that most people (even the most adamant supporters of OAR) would be unable to remember what was missing and had been cropped out. Yes, there are exceptions, but for the most part who would REALLY remember that the cigarette lighter that was on the table in the movies has now been cropped out? I think we go a bit overboard with this stuff.
I have seen several movies on HBO that I had never seen before and didn't know if they were cropped or not.

In almost every case I did not enjoy the film because I kept noticing scenes that didn't look right to me.

After the film, I often would check www.imdb.com to see what the correct aspect ratio was and in every case it was shot anamorphically at 2.4 to 1 and cropped by HBO.

Frank

·
Registered
702 Posts
I think Mr wiggles was getting at the fact that there isn't currently an anamorphic mode (where they send the signal using the full height width, and then the display squashes it to match the original aspect ration or crops the sides) in hdtv. Thus when showing OAR movies, you are using some of the vertical resolution for encoding black bars. Thus you aren't getting as much information in vertical detail. Of course the trade off is that you just don't see any of the stuff on the sides as it's been cropped. I personally prefer to see the whole thing, but I'd really like anamorphic and then they could let us choose!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
For most scenes you may be right Ken, but when there are talking knees, as has been pointed out by Frank, it gets a bit absurd. Oh, and I'm a combination boxer/brief kinda guy :D

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:

Ken, Ken, Ken ;) I could say the same thing when watching a movie in 4x3 for that matter. Like The Perfect Storm. I get the jist of it no matter what format it's in. Some dudes went out in a boat, didnt catch any fish at first, went to the Flemish Cap, scored bigtime then the ice machine broke. On the way home they ran into a killer storm and expired.

Did I really need to see the movie in anything but 4x3 (12x9) to watch the wave engulf them? If seeing it in 16x9 is somehow an improvement over 12x9, I trust 21x9 is also an improvement over 16x9 if it was shot in 21x9 to begin with.

Or, maybe the Directors calling for such formats to begin with are wrong, and I'm merely getting sucked in to the "hype". Ya think?

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Come on Ken. Frankly, this argument makes no sense at all. I rarely go to the theater. Movies I see on DVD, HBO, or Showtime are usually the first time I've seen a movie, at least those made in the last few years. So I want to see it as I would have seen it if I went to the theater. Why should it be any different where I see it?

I trust that when I view a reproduction of a painting in some book that it faithfully reproduces as much of the original as possible. Some factors such as color, tint, etc can't be matched exactly, and I accept that. But I certainly can expect that the entire original painting is being reproduced in the same ratio as the original.

I'm so glad HBO doesn't produce books of artwork. Who knows how much of the original artwork would be missing?

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by foundation
I think Mr wiggles was getting at the fact that there isn't currently an anamorphic mode (where they send the signal using the full height width, and then the display squashes it to match the original aspect ration or crops the sides) in hdtv. Thus when showing OAR movies, you are using some of the vertical resolution for encoding black bars. Thus you aren't getting as much information in vertical detail. Of course the trade off is that you just don't see any of the stuff on the sides as it's been cropped. I personally prefer to see the whole thing, but I'd really like anamorphic and then they could let us choose!
I'm not going to touch this argument with a ten foot pole. It's the same old "lost resolution by having black bars" stuff that I believe is completely irrelevant. I may be incorrect, but I believe that HD is inherently an anamorphic process. Isn't that why we all talk about our HD sets being locked in "Full" mode with a 1080/720 signal?

MrWiggles, is this what you're implying?

·
Registered
702 Posts
The way to test if it's anamorphic, is to open a hipix file with a software decoder and look at the decoded frame. If it was anamorphic there would be no black bars. I get black bars on things recorded from showtime (I get a 16:9 frame on a 4:3 monitor and I get noise in the black bars so it's not the software decoder filling it in)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.