AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a long enough HDMI cable to connect my Onkyo 605 to my Mits HC1500. It was previously connected via component before and I loved the picture quality (even out of the box) but did a DVE calibration.

So I connected the newly puchased HDMI cable (from Monoprice) from the Onkyo to the projector and was a little suprised.

The picture quality didn't seem as good. I was watching Discovery Home Theater on cable and would switch back and forth between component to HDMI and notice the picture quality. It seemed washed out and a little to the green side on the HDMI compared to the component. Now I haven't done a calibration yet for the HDMI input but it just doesn't have the smoothness (is that a real word) that the component has.

Also when the signal was coming from component from the Onkyo tot he Mitz it shows as 1080i, but when it's coming from HDMI it's 720p.

Does anyone have an idea why it would be different?! The cable box is set to 1080i and is connected via component to the Onkyo 605, then both component and HDMI to the HC1500.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to why these to things would be, of you have this setup, offer some settings?!

Thanks guys

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximAvs /forum/post/15422176

I will be doing a calibration, but does that explain the 1080i - 720p issue?!

On the Onkyo you are using component pass through so it passes the 1080i signal. The HDMI on the Onkyo is set to 720p. The HDMI once calibrated should look equal or better than the component if the Onkyo is not doing something to the signal. The real benefit of the HDMI is the ability to upconvert SD DVD and show BD when using a BD.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximAvs /forum/post/15422351

That's my goal! I want to add a BD player to my theater.

With the 605 you can use just the HDMI cable to feed the projector. Just set the 605 to up-convert all signals to HDMI and select HDMI output. This simplifies operation of your system, but you will lose some calibration adjustability. I do not think the 1500 has independent memory (memory 1, 2 and so on) for the settings. If that is the case using the component cable for TV signals will allow you to calibrate that projector input for TV and you can calibrate the HDMI (projector) input for DVD or BD. It just depends on what you need. Flexibility or calibration. You can have both if you have a good remote that takes macros and it is set up properly.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm currently using a Harmony 880, and I could have it switch inputs for different uses.

So would it be best to leave the component cable run from the 605 to the PJ for cable TV and add the HDMI for DVD and BD?!

Or just use HDMI and upconvert everything?!

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximAvs /forum/post/15423588

I'm currently using a Harmony 880, and I could have it switch inputs for different uses.

So would it be best to leave the component cable run from the 605 to the PJ for cable TV and add the HDMI for DVD and BD?!

Or just use HDMI and upconvert everything?!

Probably. That way you can calibrate each input. If you do it all with one cable then you need independent memory settings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.