AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting...been using these forums for years now but never had to make a thread.

I ma proposing a HC7000 at a customers house, now the customer wants a CinemaScope capable projector and screen (proposing the Vutec Auto-Mask V).

Now my question is if the HC7000 is capable of projecting the 2.35:1 CinemaScope without the need of any anamorphic lens. Now in the advanced menu under "image" you can set it to either 16:9 or 2.35:1...I called mitsubishi and they said it will still have the bars on the bottom and top of the screen...but I read further that if set to anamorphic 1 on the projector it will set the projected image to fit the entire screen without the bars.

Anyone out there that used this projecter for such a task? And know any definite answers?

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
without the lens you will simply zoom the image to fit the Scope screen. This is just a really big (78% larger) 16:9 image. Your HD content (BD) will be 1:1 pixel mapped.

If you use the mode you mentioned (anamorphic 1), you should see a geometric distortion - the image will appear tall and thin as if vertically stretched. You need an anamorphic lens to optically expand the image with this mode.

·
Registered
609 Posts
It can do CIH without using a lens or having to zoom between ARs. Set "screen size" to 2.35:1. Then project a 2.35 film to fill a scope screen just like using the zoom method. When you select 16:9 as your aspect ratio, it will be downscaled or "shrunk" to fit on the scope screen with black bars on the sides. Changing the AR to "auto" brings it back to the un-scaled 2.35 mode. There have been several positive reports on the performance in the various Mitsubishi threads. This post (and several previous) is a good one to check out:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17537177

BTW, this is different than the modes the Mits has that are designed to use an anamorphic lens (anamorphic 1 etc)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CAVX - Thanks for the reply, but you said exactly what Mitsubishi told me lol, I knew there had to be a way around this.

5mark - That is exactly what I wanted to hear....the masking im not worried about since we are going with an automasking screen...and it triggers when the projector is set to 16:9 so thats awsome.

Thanks...I'll post pictures of the project...this system is gonna be fun to play with.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the hc7000 and perhaps I can help. First lets start out with some assumptions. You have a 2.35 screen. So you project the image still in 16:9 to fill the height of the screen, but you are not using the full left and right side of the screen. So then you set you projector to anamorphic 1. This will stretch the image getting rid of the black bars but the image will look to tall. By tall I mean people will look skinner. So then you put you Horizontal lens in place thus getting the correct aspect ratio without black bars. If you want to watch 16:9 material then you press anamorphic 2 to squeeze the image and you get the correct ratio without removing the lens.

So really anamorphic 1 stretches the image height wise and anamorphic 2 squeezes the image length wise. You can use a vertical compression lens but that really depends on the your screen size. To use a VC lens you would first set to anamorphic 1 and fill the image so that the image fills the length of the screen and overflows on the top and bottom of the screen. Then place your VC lens and it should squeeze the image correctly. However, usually a VC lens calls for a 2.0 throw ratio and a screen 10ft wide isn't going to work due to the projector not being bright enough.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Y'know, I would almost consider zooming if the projector had a built in shutter that would block out the excess spillage on the top and bottom of the screen when zooming for cinemascope movies. You could have like 5 presets for 2.35:1, 2:4:1, 2.55:1, etc. Hell, even make it a manual shutter that you could set when a movie starts. Still think a good lens is better, but...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts