AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 13608 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an old DTP-94 and can report that it worked correctly and stably after switching over to the Argyll drivers. The lowest reading (0-20 IRE) might be slightly different, but I noticed that it was reading faster than the old version with X-rite drivers and the "longer reads for low IRE" box checked. I too am considering a new i1Display3 or Spyder 4 depending on reviews on the Spyder 4.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/21732907

That's what I did. Then the software prompted me to install an update. You only need to do the update if you want to use the profiler on yor computer monitor.

I'm very new at this but thought this might be a good time to comment on a few items I noticed early on with my i1Display Pro... or whatever the proper name is... EODIS3, i1Display3, i1D3, iD3, iPro3

I did originally install X-rite i1Profiler but when the old version of ColorHCFR didn't recognize the meter, I uninstalled everything and planned to return the meter. Then I found this thread.

I installed the new version of HCFR and it recognized the meter without reinstalling i1Profiler so I'm assuming nothing else needs installed.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. My understanding is the iD3 uses the HID driver interface built into Windows and therefore doesn't need any other driver. What's unusual is other devices which use the HID driver (i.e. mouse) show up in Device Manager, but the iD3 doesn't.

However, the iD3 does show up under Devices and Printers. When I connect the meter it shows up under Unspecified as an i1Display 3.

As far as the meter working I haven't actually started a calibration as I'm still reading, so I can only give my official unprofessional explanation on how it appears to "work"... if I click on the green arrow, numbers start showing up in the program. Yes, that's as far as I got

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC /forum/post/21734811

As far as the meter working I haven't actually started a calibration as I'm still reading, so I can only give my official unprofessional explanation on how it appears to "work"... if I click on the green arrow, numbers start showing up in the program. Yes, that's as far as I got

When you get around to doing your calibration, please let us know what type of TV you're calibrating on, and how it worked out.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd /forum/post/21732962

@John: I found the problem with low level light readings and the D2. Apparently there is a timeout problem at low levels with some versions of libusb. I reinstalled the one packaged with argyll all is well. ( see this )

That's very odd, the drivers I ship were built from the the argyll 1.3.5 code. Are those the ones you installed?

The timeout issue is certainly possible but I'll be a bit cross if the source doesn't match the driver.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC /forum/post/21734811

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks, a wide a variety of os versions and bitness is good. The drivers vary by each of these so it's good to get an dunderatsnding of what works and what doesn't.

John

·
Registered
366 Posts
What I've found is that the scroll bar doesn't really scroll down to the last row of the table that shows "greyscale" and "primaries / secondaries" etc.

E.g. can't see delta luma in the primary/sec table.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 703 /forum/post/21735413

What I've found is that the scroll bar doesn't really scroll down to the last row of the table that shows "greyscale" and "primaries / secondaries" etc.

E.g. can't see delta luma in the primary/sec table.

Yep, drives me mad too
it's on the list, I am focussing in driver issues for now though so won't get fixed in the next version but probably the one after that.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21735379

That's very odd, the drivers I ship were built from the the argyll 1.3.5 code. Are those the ones you installed?

The timeout issue is certainly possible but I'll be a bit cross if the source doesn't match the driver.

John

Even odder, the d2 doesn't use the libusb driver but uses the winusb code, so reinstalling the driver should have had no effect.

What does it say in device manager if you ask for driver details from the driver tab of properties?

John

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21735455

Even odder, the d2 doesn't use the libusb driver but uses the winusb code, so reinstalling the driver should have had no effect.

What does it say in device manager if you ask for driver details from the driver tab of properties?

John

I think maybe it's not a driver issue but due to running this inside a vbox. It has worked a few times but just randomly and not associated with any particular driver. The error from argyll debug output when measuring dark patches is:

Code:
Code:
Actual integration time = 1000000 clocks
i1disp: Sending cmd 14 args '00 01 00' response '00 00' ICOM err 0x0
i1disp: Sending cmd 14 args '00 01 01' response '01 00' ICOM err 0x0
i1disp: Sending cmd 14 args '00 01 02' response '02 00' ICOM err 0x0
i1disp: Sending cmd 16 args '02 00'
i1disp: Message send failed with ICOM err 0x200

Spot read failed due to communication problem.

Driver version if I load yours is 1.0.0.1 2/27/2012

If I load from argyll distro it's 1.0.0.1 3/10/2010

see attached pic for associated files that are used

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd /forum/post/21735575

I think maybe it's not a driver issue but due to running this inside a vbox.

I do a lot of my work inside vboxes but not on XP, I think I can reproduce the windows 7 version of this which is that the measurement just hangs and doesn't timeout which may be something related to priviledges. Anyway am getting side tracked a bit on this issue. I seem to get it when at the start of the reading there is a bit of light and then none.

By the way thanks for the other info.

I'll test later on xp in a vbox and see if I can get that error.

John

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Hoping to get a chance to run through a calibration tonight, on my Pioneer Kuro

The "Dummies Guide" says

"Ensure that the "Calibration Mode" is set to "LCD" for all types of display types except for the following situations:
  • Users with Plasma displays using an Eye-One sensor should select "Plasma". There is no "Plasma" option for Spyder2 users - use "LCD" instead. "

Is Plasma an option in this HCFR version?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 /forum/post/21736123

Is Plasma an option in this HCFR version?

I don't know what the plasma mode in the old HCFR did as I can't see the driver dll code, I'm not clear it did do anything unless there was a hardcoded adjustemt matrix applied. In later releases we'll be allowing adjustment files to be created and shared. So fo rth time being use lcd mode.

John

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/21735265

When you get around to doing your calibration, please let us know what type of TV you're calibrating on, and how it worked out.

I have a Panasonic TC-P60ST30 60" Plasma. I could calibrate it this week, but I'm hesitant since there isn't an option for Plasma with the i1D3 yet. I may still practice just to get used to the software and meter. But I plan to keep tabs on this thread and will post as I figure things out.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC /forum/post/21736908

I have a Panasonic TC-P60ST30 60" Plasma. I could calibrate it this week, but I'm hesitant since there isn't an option for Plasma with the i1D3 yet. I may still practice just to get used to the software and meter. But I plan to keep tabs on this thread and will post as I figure things out.

I have a 65ST30, and the measured values definitely jumped around like crazy when I got to 50ire. Still, I'd recommend doing a test run, just to see what happens. You don't have to make any changes.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have just run through the first (of no doubt many) calibrations.

I used Win 7 64 bit, my i1Display2, with HCFR version 3.0.0.0 installed to

C:\\Program Files (x86)\\HCFR Calibration

(without overwriting the old 2.1 installation at C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ColorHCFR).

I followed the driver instructions at http://sourceforge.net/p/hcfr/wiki/D...0Instructions/

I quickly checked and I was getting some measurements on the meter.

I then decided to open up an old file that the 2.1 software had generated, to duplicate the text comments. It looks like backward compatibility is not working see error unexpected file format, and refusal to open old files.

I then started the older version of the software to check the file, and it opened OK. I then started to get a couple of errors, when reverting back to new HCFR. See attached.

I cleared these by exiting both HCFR programs, and starting again.

I have since checked the log and it says

Argyll Error - Opening USB port 'usb:/bus0/dev1/ (GretagMacbeth i1 Display)' config 1 failed (Access denied (insufficient permissions)) (Permissions ?)

All looked good after this, and I went and did a before capture of my Pioneer Kuro with the new software (set as LCD), results attached.

I have not made any changes based on these readings, as I ran out of time. I cannot easily compare my last calibration to these readings and my meter is limited to a delta of 4 anyway. I would have left the previous calibration with readings of delta lower than 4 though. But, within these limitations, it went very well.

I also got an error of Attempted an unsupported operation when accessing menu Help> About HCFR.

But all looking good to me.

A couple of questions though,
(i) How much do Plasmas drift over time?
(ii) Are the worse delta error purely down to my meter?
(iii) How much work has anyone done on Repeatability and Reproducibility of a calibration process?

Wayne.

isf night check.zip 1.8037109375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC /forum/post/21736908

but I'm hesitant since there isn't an option for Plasma with the i1D3 yet.

I'd guess it's going to take until at least April to get the whole thing running smoothly, at this stage it's really only for those who love to play with new toys

But yes worth getting some practice in with the software, and start collecting the UI bugs.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 /forum/post/21737332

I have just run through the first (of no doubt many) calibrations.

Yes, to reiterate,I hope I've not given the impression that this is polished and ready for wide use yet, at this stage we're really only seeing what meters we can talk to.

Quote:

It looks like backward compatibility is not working - see error - unexpected file format, and refusal to open old files.

Ouch, that's expected to work, so send me the old file and I'll if I can work out where I've screwed up.

Quote:

Argyll Error - Opening USB port 'usb:/bus0/dev1/ (GretagMacbeth i1 Display)' config 1 failed (Access denied (insufficient permissions)) (Permissions ?)

That's odd, I've seen this with the driver disabled and with multiple copies of hcfr running, was either possible?

Quote:

I also got an error of Attempted an unsupported operation when accessing menu Help> About HCFR.

That's odd too, I'll make sure to keep testing that.

John

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd
Yes, to reiterate,I hope I've not given the impression that this is polished and ready for wide use yet, at this stage we're really only seeing what meters we can talk to.

Ouch, that's expected to work, so send me the old file and I'll if I can work out where I've screwed up.

That's odd, I've seen this with the driver disabled and with multiple copies of hcfr running, was either possible?

That's odd too, I'll make sure to keep testing that.

John
I know this is beta - hence my posting to support (in my limited way).

Old file attached.

Yes - I had both old and new hcfr running at same time.

I only found the "Help" error, to make sure I was running latest version. But it does it all the time.

november isf day.zip 1.0771484375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 /forum/post/21737575

I know this is beta - hence my posting to support (in my limited way).

That was more aimed at the passing observer rather than you, thanks for the very detailed report by the way, very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 /forum/post/21737575

Old file attached.

Great thanks

John

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thank you to all the people who created and maintained HCFR.

Wow. I have about 12 hours using v2.1.

Great program.

I downloaded the beta.

I wanted to get a feel for the program before using the beta.

Thanks again for the tool to fix the crap TV makers are selling the public with their OTB settings.

As I gain knowledge about beta, I will post.

201 - 220 of 13608 Posts