AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 13608 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Hi John, do you think there will be a new release this week?

Waiting for i1 to arrive and figure I might install the newer version if it will be available soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/21738020

Hi John, do you think there will be a new release this week?

Possibly Friday or the weekend, depends on how complex fixing the multiple meter scenarios turns out to be, I have a plan that I'm trying out but it may not work well enough.

John

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 703 /forum/post/21735413

What I've found is that the scroll bar doesn't really scroll down to the last row of the table that shows "greyscale" and "primaries / secondaries" etc.

E.g. can't see delta luma in the primary/sec table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21735442

Yep, drives me mad too
it's on the list, I am focussing in driver issues for now though so won't get fixed in the next version but probably the one after that.

John

There are 2 workarounds for the scroll bar/hidden rows (see attached pic):

1. (Easier) Click the down arrow next to the Editable Data box until all the rows are displayed.

2. You can resize each row like you would in Excel by clicking and dragging the row lines in the leftmost column until everything fits.

Unfortunately it doesn't save these changes so you have to do it everytime you create or open a chc file.

Also, I ran a quick test on my PC monitor using the Argyll drivers and an original Monaco Optix (not the DTP94, the C5-ish? model) and it worked. I'll provide more detail when I have time to measure my plasma.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer /forum/post/21739584

There are 2 workarounds for the scroll bar/hidden rows (see attached pic):

1. (Easier) Click the down arrow next to the Editable Data box until all the rows are displayed.

2. You can resize each row like you would in Excel by clicking and dragging the row lines in the leftmost column until everything fits.

Unfortunately it doesn't save these changes so you have to do it everytime you create or open a chc file.

Also, I ran a quick test on my PC monitor using the Argyll drivers and an original Monaco Optix (not the DTP94, the C5-ish? model) and it worked. I'll provide more detail when I have time to measure my plasma.

wow, if I am reading that pic right, that is a perfect gray scale.

what monitor is it?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif /forum/post/21739622

wow, if I am reading that pic right, that is a perfect gray scale.

what monitor is it?

Pioneer KRP-500M calibrated with a DTP94 profiled with my i1Pro. (the pic is not from my HCFR Fork test).

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/21737264

I have a 65ST30, and the measured values definitely jumped around like crazy when I got to 50ire. Still, I'd recommend doing a test run, just to see what happens. You don't have to make any changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21737423

But yes worth getting some practice in with the software, and start collecting the UI bugs.

I made my first (partial) test run and I'm embarrassed to say the Calibration for Dummies guide threw me a couple times
but I stuck with it and understand better.

My setup: Panasonic P60ST30 and i1Display Pro (i1D3)

Preparation was fairly easy but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to calibrate my meter or not... I tried, but nothing happened when I clicked on the "Calibrate Meter" button so I moved on.

I clicked on the Green Arrow and the meter began taking readings, although I'm not exactly sure what I was supposed to do at that point. I spent several minutes trying to see if putting the meter in a different location made a difference but the only thing I noticed, aside from the numbers constantly changing, is some numbers seemed to slowly decrease as time went on.

Finally I used the DVE HD Disc to run the Grey Scale test and made it through all 10 screens, and that's pretty much where I stopped.

Now that I have a better idea, I'll read the guide again and likely make a short list of instructions specific to my setup. I'd be happy to post whatever numbers or graphs you want... just let me know.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC /forum/post/21739870

Preparation was fairly easy but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to calibrate my meter or not... I tried, but nothing happened when I clicked on the "Calibrate Meter" button so I moved on.

The Display 3 does not require calibration.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/0

I forgot to mention in my previous post, I pressed the calibrate button, but nothing seemed to happen (i1Display2). The old process would ask for a calibration prior to running the first greyscale. And involve a couple of dialogue boxes with confirmations.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi John,

Thanks for all the great work! I've been using ColorHCFR for quite a while and am thrilled to be able to use it with the new i1d3.

A couple notes on using HCFR with the i1d3 in case it's of any use:

First, I have a Samsung plasma and can also confirm the erratic readings starting at 50 IRE downward. I noticed you mentioned before that the plasma issue might be fixed in the latest Argyll code so I grabbed the dev source from the Argyll site and compiled it. Using dispcal just as an xyY readout I can confirm that the instability at low IREs is dramatically reduced.

Second, I have always been unsure about which switch to use for a plasma, CRT or LCD, but thought the overall consensus was CRT. Is that still true with the i1 Display Pro? I know that some of the older colorimeters reportedly had issues with infrared emissions from plasmas and would over-report red in any mode, but it always seemed like CRT mode was the closest to accurate. I'm hoping the i1d3 doesn't have these issues, but in any case the ability to use edr/ccss files seems like it might mitigate the effect. On that note, I would love to see the Argyll i1d3 ccss capability integrated (which I know you had mentioned before - just thought I'd add a plus one). Hopefully someone with access to a nice spectrophotometer will post some ccss readings of a plasma to work with!

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfunk05 /forum/post/21740592

Using dispcal just as an xyY readout I can confirm that the instability at low IREs is dramatically reduced.

That's good to know, thanks, the next version should havethat same code.

Quote:

Second, I have always been unsure about which switch to use for a plasma, CRT or LCD, but thought the overall consensus was CRT. Is that still true with the i1 Display Pro? I know that some of the older colorimeters reportedly had issues with infrared emissions from plasmas and would over-report red in any mode, but it always seemed like CRT mode was the closest to accurate. I'm hoping the i1d3 doesn't have these issues, but in any case the ability to use edr/ccss files seems like it might mitigate the effect. On that note, I would love to see the Argyll i1d3 ccss capability integrated (which I know you had mentioned before - just thought I'd add a plus one). Hopefully someone with access to a nice spectrophotometer will post some ccss readings of a plasma to work with!

Yes, my plan going forward is to ship argyll's edr to ccss conversion tools and support ccss files. This should mean that you get the same results as in the x-rite world. The extra step is annoying and it would be good to ship consensus meter adjustment files with the product but I also need to avoid any ip issues.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarsen /forum/post/21740557

I tested the HCFR DIY V5.1 sensor and it selects, connects, and comms AOK. Win 7/64.

Interesting, there were some comemnts in the code that the HCFR meter didn't work properly with 64 bit OSes, watch out for issues there, but it seems like it's working ....

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 /forum/post/21740526

I forgot to mention in my previous post, I pressed the calibrate button, but nothing seemed to happen (i1Display2). The old process would ask for a calibration prior to running the first greyscale. And involve a couple of dialogue boxes with confirmations.

Most versions of the display 2 don't need to be calibrated in LCD mode, the x-rite i1 sdk code allows calibration for all meters but for lcd mode it doesn't actually do anything. If you have one of the older version it will detect that and ask you to place the meter on a flat surface to calibrate as the old hcfr did but that only applies to easier revision of the meter.

In crt mode it isn't really a calibration just a refresh rate lock.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC /forum/post/21739870

As we get to later versions the button will be greyed for those meters that don't need calibration.

John

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/0

Most versions of the display 2 don't need to be calibrated in LCD mode, the x-rite i1 sdk code allows calibration for all meters but for lcd mode it doesn't actually do anything. If you have one of the older version it will detect that and ask you to place the meter on a flat surface to calibrate as the old hcfr did but that only applies to earlier revision of the meter.

In crt mode it isn't really a calibration just a refresh rate lock.

John

So the new software detected my display2 as a newer version, so did not calibrate. Thanks.

I am tempted for the iD3/colormunki, I'll see how this project pans out.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/21739972

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21740614

As we get to later versions the button will be greyed for those meters that don't need calibration.

Thanks... good to know.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/21737264

I have a 65ST30, and the measured values definitely jumped around like crazy when I got to 50ire. Still, I'd recommend doing a test run, just to see what happens. You don't have to make any changes.

Not sure what you mean by jumped around like crazy. Could you explain what you're doing at that point? For example, when I measured Grey Scale I didn't see any values until I finished going through the 10 screens. The program requested each screen one at a time, and each time I was ready I clicked on the OK button and it would ask for the next screen. So the only time I saw measured values was after the measurements were done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
JohnAd,

This is debug testing for opening older files: I wanted to test Wl1's issue with opening older files. I have no issues opening my old .chc files generated with ColorHCFR 2.1 with my DTP-94 (X-Rite drivers obviously). But when I open Wl1's .chc file included in his post, AND at the time I have NO meter plugged in, I get an error from the Argyll code "No meter found - Create Argyll instrument failed with severe error". It appears that the Argyll code really wants a meter plugged in even when I just want to view the .chc results.

GREAT WORK!!!

Testing from Win7x64

Dan

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:

First, I have a Samsung plasma and can also confirm the erratic readings starting at 50 IRE downward. I noticed you mentioned before that the plasma issue might be fixed in the latest Argyll code so I grabbed the dev source from the Argyll site and compiled it. Using dispcal just as an xyY readout I can confirm that the instability at low IREs is dramatically reduced.

Awesome, thanks for looking into that.

Quote:

Second, I have always been unsure about which switch to use for a plasma, CRT or LCD, but thought the overall consensus was CRT. Is that still true with the i1 Display Pro?

On the Argyll site, they also recommend using CRT for plasma displays. They do not specify this specifically for the id3, but as a general rule. Honestly, however, my readings were identical wither I used CRT or LCD.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dml1333 /forum/post/21741533

JohnAd,

This is debug testing for opening older files: I wanted to test Wl1's issue with opening older files. I have no issues opening my old .chc files generated with ColorHCFR 2.1 with my DTP-94 (X-Rite drivers obviously). But when I open Wl1's .chc file included in his post, AND at the time I have NO meter plugged in, I get an error from the Argyll code "No meter found - Create Argyll instrument failed with severe error". It appears that the Argyll code really wants a meter plugged in even when I just want to view the .chc results.

I worked around this by going into the sensor selection screen and selecting the virtual meter. Then you can click around without getting that error message.

221 - 240 of 13608 Posts