AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 13608 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
additionally, i ran "Continous" measurements and it seems to run pretty well. below is a screen hot. i didn't experience any jumpyness or numbers moving too fast etc.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/21754554

Follows are screen shots of my gray scale measurements. you guys help me interpret the results, they look pretty bad to me (based on my limited knowledge).

Blue and green on your PJ aren't too bad, but your lack of red is pretty significant. Interestingly enough, it's fairly linier. It needs to be boosted 15%-20% across the board. You need to bring blue down about 15% at 80 and 90 IRE. You also have some gamma issues, but much of that might come in line if you sort out what's going on with red.

I have no idea what sort of grayscale controls you have, so I don't know if you'll be able to tame this completely, but you should be able to get it looking much better if you have any gain and cut controls at all.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
thanks, i'll be playing with gray scale adjustment a bit and see how that improve things.

i have control of all rgb and cms settings as well as custom gamma.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
john, one thing i notice is that. i can not start a new measurement while in HCFR. got an error when i go to File > New.

have to exit HCFR in order to start a new measurement.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
i played around with 'gray scale' adjustments and things look a bit better.

8 out of the 11 grayscales came within a delta E of 6.

both rgb levels and color temp looks much better. but gamma took a huge dive. what gives?

here are some shots.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/21754762

john, one thing i notice is that. i can not start a new measurement while in HCFR. got an error when i go to File > New.

have to exit HCFR in order to start a new measurement.

I checked this out last night, and here's what I found...I can start a new file as long as I close out my old calibration file. I'm able to open two different files that I have previously saved, but I am not able to create a new file.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/0

I checked this out last night, and here's what I found...I can start a new file as long as I close out my old calibration file. I'm able to open two different files that I have previously saved, but I am not able to create a new file.

I fhink this is related to the way the meters are no being shared correctly, should be fixed in the next version, which I'll try and release during the weekend.

John

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Perhaps also related, when I pull up a saved file I have to have a meter plugged in to access certain menu items (like changing reference or gamma calculation). Same problem with two files open and one meter, one file is fine and the other wants a meter.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
quick question.

do you guys unplugged your meter and put it back in the box after you done measuring?

i was too tired last night and just left my i1d3 memter opened and plugged in.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/21755793

ahh..thanks. good to know, i'll try that tonight.

btw blue, what are you calibrating? mind posting some results?

I am calibrating a Panasonic 65ST30 plasma. I could post some files (and I did early on in this thread, I believe, of my first calibration pass). I'm having two problems right now which make me feel like my results are unreliable:

1. The readings on plasma right now are unstable. My measurements jump around quite a bit after I get to 50 IRE. I also have some instability at 70 IRE.

2. My plasma is new, and I'm still trying to get a handle on the best way to calibrate gamma. ABL is kicking in and causing havoc. That, coupled with issue #1 makes my gamma reading bounce all over the place.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/21756344

quick question.

do you guys unplugged your meter and put it back in the box after you done measuring?

i was too tired last night and just left my i1d3 memter opened and plugged in.

I would recommend putting it away most of the time. Fortunately, the i1d3 has sealed optics, so it isn't nearly as much of an issue as with the i1d2, where you really wanted to keep it in a ziploc bag.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/21756344

both rgb levels and color temp looks much better. but gamma took a huge dive. what gives?

To help with setting your gamma correctly (and primaries and secondaries when/if you're ready to go that route), I recommend using the spreadsheet developed by AVS member stereomandan and explained in the following post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1111066

Hopefully you have the controls to boost luminence (Y) properly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/21756497

To help with setting your gamma correctly (and primaries and secondaries when/if you're ready to go that route), I recommend using the spreadsheet developed by AVS member stereomandan and explained in the following post:

Hopefully you have the controls to boost luminence (Y) properly.

Good luck!

yes, i am following that exact guide. I do have brightness control for primariy and secondary colors.

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/21756497

I recommend using the spreadsheet developed by AVS member stereomandan and explained in the following post:

I also use stereomandan's spreadsheet as part of my calibration process. But I'd rather not have to.

Given that JohnAD is asking us what's needed in HCFR, perhaps we could all post what we use the spreadsheet for, and he can work it into HCFR eventually.

I use it to calculate targets for 75% saturations, and to plot saturation readings on the CIE graph with targets (targets are not available in HCFR). So I mainly use it for CMS work. I find that existing HCFR functionality works fine for grayscale and gamma.

@JohnAD - thanks for taking on this project!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams /forum/post/21756666

I also use Dan's spreadsheet as part of my calibration process. But I'd rather not have to.

Given that JohnAD is asking us what's needed in HCFR, perhaps we could all post what we use the spreadsheet for, and he can work it into HCFR eventually.

I use it to calculate targets for 75% saturations, and to plot saturation readings on the CIE graph with targets. So I mainly use it for CMS work. I find that existing HCFR functionality works fine for grayscale and gamma.

+1. if this could be built into HCFR Fork, it's a BIG bonus.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams /forum/post/21756666

I also use Dan's spreadsheet as part of my calibration process. But I'd rather not have to.

I use it to calculate targets for 75% saturations, and to plot saturation readings on the CIE graph with targets. So I mainly use it for CMS work. I find that existing HCFR functionality works fine for grayscale and gamma.

I believe that was requested at the beginning of this thread. If not, I'm with you - that would be a great feature to add.

Can you point me to Dan's spreadsheet? I'm not familiar with it.

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/21756843

Can you point me to Dan's spreadsheet? I'm not familiar with it.

I'm referring to the same spreadsheet you linked above - I'll edit my post to clear that up

261 - 280 of 13608 Posts