AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 13608 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
John,

FYI, just by plugging in the i1Pro with Spyder3 crashes HCFR at the opening with the first press of NEXT.

Seem like any two meters together will crash it. Anyone with better luck?

·
Registered
308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/21838578

I have my media player in full screen but I used the window patterns.

Which means you used ColorHCFR Windows patterns in fullscreen instead of ColorHCFR Fields (AVSHD709) ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just finished my plasma tv. One needs to select generic refresh display for this display type and calibrate the meter from within hcfr afterwards. All the other options are for different kinds of LCDs only and produce garbage readings.

To be fair, this is actually mentioned on the argyll webpage, which i did not read before.

The rest was pretty straight forward, i did not have any lock ups or other bugs with the spyder 4. I only needed to adjust greyscale a bit on my "hacked" el cheapo LG plasma to achieve this end result:

[great, i cannot post urls because of my post count.... but the results were good]

I went through all the measurements (greyscale, all the colors) several times and didn't have any problems with the app. Great work johnad.

·
Registered
114 Posts
JohnAd, is there support for the Chroma V meter?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanebob /forum/post/21840135

JohnAd, is there support for the Chroma V meter?

Not as far as I'm aware, it might be worth asking Graeme on the Argyll Cms project if he has any interest in adding support for it.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
For those having issues I've uploaded a new version with no real changes (except maybe around the timing) but with some extra logging and crash handling

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hcf...ndows/3.0.2.0/

If those with an i1Pro/multiple meter issues could send me the stderr.log and any minidump.dmp files that are in the c:\\program files\\HCFR Calibration Directory.

By the way thanks a lot for all the testing and help so far.

John

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
Noticing the Spyder 4 takes a much longer time between low level (

Is this something with HCFR or is this simply the design of the meter?

* Oh and I noticed that a 0 IRE read during greyscale will sometimes crash HCFR 3.0.1.0 when using the Spyder 4.

Thanks again John, great work and truly appreciated!

Jason

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21840266

For those having issues I've uploaded a new version with no real changes (except maybe around the timing)

Hi John,

Can you explain what you mean by the bolded part?

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21840266

For those having issues I've uploaded a new version with no real changes (except maybe around the timing) but with some extra logging and crash handling

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hcf...ndows/3.0.2.0/

If those with an i1Pro/multiple meter issues could send me the stderr.log and any minidump.dmp files that are in the c:\\program files\\HCFR Calibration Directory.

By the way thanks a lot for all the testing and help so far.

John

Here is the output of stderr for the i1pro problem:

Code:
Code:
usb_get_paths about to look through devices:
usb_check_and_add() called with VID 0x1d6b, PID 0x1
Get config desc. 0 failed
usb_check_and_add() called with VID 0x971, PID 0x2000
usb_check_and_add() found known instrument
icoms: There don't appear to be any serial ports
i1pro: About to init coms
i1pro: About to init USB
icoms: About to set usb port characteristics
icoms: About to open the USB port, tries 0
icoms: USB port needs opening
icoms: About to open USB port 'usb:/bus0/dev2/ (GretagMacbeth i1 Pro)'
Opening USB port 'usb:/bus0/dev2/ (GretagMacbeth i1 Pro)' config 1 failed (Other error) (Permissions ?)icoms: delete called

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd /forum/post/21841252

Here is the output of stderr for the i1pro problem:

Code:
Code:
Opening USB port 'usb:/bus0/dev2/ (GretagMacbeth i1 Pro)' config 1 failed (Other error) (Permissions ?)icoms: delete called

Thanks. I think I've worked out what causes that one, some memory wasn't zeroed before use.

I'm not sure about the crash yet though so if sombody can try the 2 meter thing and send me the crash log that would be great.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/21840707

Hi John,

Can you explain what you mean by the bolded part?

Sorry for not being clearer, I'm part way though trying to understand why the images sometimes don't finish displaying properly while the reading are being taken. I've made some fixes but they are not fully tested.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/21840582

Noticing the Spyder 4 takes a much longer time between low level (

Is this something with HCFR or is this simply the design of the meter?

Possibly a bit of both, the way the colorimeters seem to work is that they need to "collect" as much light as possible during each read without going over some limit or saturating, they way this is controlled is to take a quick reading to get an idea of light level then calculate a sensible read time then do the real reading. The logic for this varies a lot by meter as there are various issues for each one and Graeme is contantly revising.improving the code to deal with issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/21840582

* Oh and I noticed that a 0 IRE read during greyscale will sometimes crash HCFR 3.0.1.0 when using the Spyder 4.

If that happens with 3.0.2.0 please send me the minidump.dmp file?

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer /forum/post/21840685

If you have a Chroma 5, try it, it might work as an i1Display1 using the Argyll drivers. I have this Monaco Optix http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/instruments.html#mox and it works with the Argyll drivers, and the hardware looks exactly like a Chroma 5, so maybe it will work??: http://catalogs.infocommiq.com/avcat...-rite-chroma-5

A very good point, would be handy to know the USD Vendor and device ID (this instructions for getting these from the device manager should be above).

Thanks

John

·
Registered
475 Posts
I finally used my i1D3 last night... Win7 x64... HCFR 3.0.1.0...

No issues as far as recognizing the meter at all. One comment that slimer777 made "For the i1D3, I use the preinstalled xrite driver and HCFR simply detects it and works fine." Not sure what version of Windows slimer was using but at least with Windows 7, you don't need to preinstall any xrite driver.

Had same problem as DaGamePimp... program abruptly closed during 0 IRE read... but just the first time. Reran HCFR and it was fine. Will install 3.0.2.0 and if it happens again, I'll send the data.

On the "Sensor selection" screen, "How do you want to calibrate the sensor?" is inactive, which is correct. But on the "Argyll Meter Property Page" the "Calibrate meter" bar is active... unsure if that's right.

Also on the "Argyll Meter Property Page" the display type defaults to "i1D3 Non-Refresh display" which is where I left it. Noticed there is also an option to select "i1D3 Refresh display". Not sure what the difference is or if I'll ever need to change it.

Overall, for a first time calibration, I was more than pleased. Before the calibration, Color Temp was too high, Blue was too high... neither of those where even close... and Red was slightly too low. Since the calibration, although not perfect so I need to tweak, but the results are way better than they've ever been and it was noticeable watching TV afterward.

Your timing with updating HCFR couldn't have been better, with me anyway, as I was returning the i1D3 when I was lead to this thread the day you released 3.0.0.0. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC /forum/post/21842773

....Also on the "Argyll Meter Property Page" the display type defaults to "i1D3 Non-Refresh display" which is where I left it. Noticed there is also an option to select "i1D3 Refresh display". Not sure what the difference is or if I'll ever need to change it.

Same here, I've always left it at default. I like to know the difference also.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:

On the "Sensor selection" screen, "How do you want to calibrate the sensor?" is inactive, which is correct. But on the "Argyll Meter Property Page" the "Calibrate meter" bar is active... unsure if that's right.

I think there is some confusion introduced by the translation here, there are 2 seperate processes that both get translated back to calibrate.

On the meter selection list the calibration files are matrix adjutments to compensate for drift and so on, on the argyll page calibration button calls any meter specific calibration functionality, for example locking on to the crt refresh rate or measuring a white tile.

Over time I'll try and get the English UI a bit more sensible.

Quote:

Also on the "Argyll Meter Property Page" the display type defaults to "i1D3 Non-Refresh display" which is where I left it. Noticed there is also an option to select "i1D3 Refresh display". Not sure what the difference is or if I'll ever need to change it.

The refresh display is for crt/plasma displays with a detectable refresh rate.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
John,

I was under the impression that meter "calibrate" was for a totally black read (not the display 0 IRE) and not a white tile?

Is this something specific to the Argyll drivers?

Thank You,

Jason

381 - 400 of 13608 Posts