AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 13608 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd /forum/post/21942462

Nice job on the D3 for plasma stability.

Non-refresh mode: 20-30% stimulus level yields CCT p-p stability of 300K

Refresh mode: Meter slows down to ~1Hz and CCT p-p stability is 100K (Same as D2) on the same patterns

Also, first D3 measurement in gray scale and color sequence is ok.

Ahhhh... translation please.
Does this mean I should use Refresh or Non-refresh mode with my i1D3 and my Panny Plasma?
Can't wait to try another calibration... hopefully this evening. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC /forum/post/21944322

Does this mean I should use Refresh or Non-refresh mode with my i1D3 and my Panny Plasma?
try Refresh mode.

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
From the Argyll documentation:

Quote:
Many of the colorimeters have a display type selection parameter. Depending on the instrument, this may combine two related functions: 1) Changing the measurement mode to suite either refresh-type, or non-refresh displays, and 2) Changing the calibration to suite a particular displays spectral characteristics.

A refresh type display uses a technology that presents different portions of the image at different times, doing so at a high enough rate that this is normally imperceptible. This time varying characteristic can interfere with measuring a display color, unless the instrument makes allowances for it, typically by making its measurement period a multiple of the display refresh period. Display types that refresh are CRT (Cathode Ray Tube), Single chip DLP (Digital Light Processing) and Plasma displays. An example of a non-refresh display technology is LCD (Liquid Crystal Display), although is a few cases the back-light illumination may have a low enough frequency flicker to benefit from the refresh mode.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21943918

There was one fix from argyll to the usb code that I hoped might cure things, but I've had one report that Tools\\spotread now works and so that probably points to an issue with our meter wrapping code. The logs should help isolate that.

John

I tried with win7 laptop just to make sure it wasn't my vbox that was screwing things up. Same result, spotread (in tools directory
) works fine but driver isn't initialized properly during HCFR start-up, the debug output is a little bit different compared to vbox start-up regarding the libusb "open" call:

Code:
Code:
libusb:debug [parse_endpoint] skipping descriptor 25
libusb:debug [libusb_unref_device] destroy device 0.0
libusb:debug [libusb_unref_device] destroy device 0.2
libusb:debug [libusb_unref_device] destroy device 1.0
libusb:debug [libusb_unref_device] destroy device 1.3
libusb:debug [libusb_unref_device] destroy device 1.1
i1pro: About to init coms
i1pro: About to init USB
icoms: About to set usb port characteristics
icoms: About to open the USB port, tries 0
icoms: USB port needs opening
icoms: About to open USB port 'usb:/bus1/dev2/ (GretagMacbeth i1 Pro)'
libusb:debug [libusb_open] open 1.2
libusb:debug [unsupported_open] unsupported API call for 'open' (unrecognized device driver)
Opening USB port 'usb:/bus1/dev2/ (GretagMacbeth i1 Pro)' config 1 failed (Operation not supported or unimplemented on this platform) (Permissions ?)icoms: delete called
libusb:debug [libusb_exit] 
libusb:debug [usbi_remove_pollfd] remove fd 6
libusb:debug [libusb_unref_device] destroy device 1.2
libusb:debug [usbi_remove_pollfd] remove fd 5
libusb:debug [usbi_remove_pollfd] remove fd 4
libusb:debug [windows_clock_gettime_threaded] timer thread quitting
libusb:debug [libusb_exit] freeing default context

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC /forum/post/21944322

yes, use refresh mode and make sure you hit "calibrate sensor" in the sensor configuration box while the sensor is viewing a pattern so it can sync properly (doesn't matter what intensity level)

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21941662

+ Add support for ccss file with i1d3

Thank you and the others on the team for your hard work!

I'm currently learning about calibration using HCFR and have a question. What does the ccss file do? After reading a bit on the Argyll site, I understand that it is a file that allows the i1d3 to be tuned to a particular display to increase accuracy. Does the user configure this file or is this something already built into HCFR/Argyll?

·
Registered
16,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappat /forum/post/21947136

I'm currently learning about calibration using HCFR and have a question. What does the ccss file do? After reading a bit on the Argyll site, I understand that it is a file that allows the i1d3 to be tuned to a particular display to increase accuracy. Does the user configure this file or is this something already built into HCFR/Argyll?

They are reference files/tables that are actually with the meter, you do not configure them. There is an executable with HCFR in the tools directory that allows the tables to be used with HCFR. Basically it shifts some settings around in order to yield more accurate results with each type of display technology (options for plasma, ccfl-lcd, led-lcd (rgb & white), lamp based front projection, etc).

Jason

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have several questions.

1) I remember that in HCFR 2.1, the sensor should be put on a black surface such as a DVD box to calibrate it. Is it same when I use HCFR 3.0.4.0?

2) If I want to use i1D3 to calibrate my sony vw85 projector, which mode should I choose, refresh or non-refresh?

3) Is there anything I should do to enhance the accuracy of the measurement e.g. double click a particular executable file in the tools directory?

Thank you so much, guys!

·
Registered
16,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightc /forum/post/21947535

I have several questions.

1) I remember that in HCFR 2.1, the sensor should be put on a black surface such as a DVD box to calibrate it. Is it same when I use HCFR 3.0.4.0?

2) If I want to use i1D3 to calibrate my sony vw85 projector, which mode should I choose, refresh or non-refresh?

3) Is there anything I should do to enhance the accuracy of the measurement e.g. double click a particular executable file in the tools directory?

Thank you so much, guys!

1) Yes this is the same regardless of software, this is how most of the colorimeters do their calibration. Don't use a shiny reflective black surface, just a matte black.

2) I believe the VW85 should be non-refresh with lamp based front projection spectral. CRT and Plasma use refresh.

3) You'll use the i1d3ccss.exe in the tools directory to 'unlock' those spectral pre-set tables for greater accuracy (per display type).

Jason

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd /forum/post/21945911

I tried with win7 laptop just to make sure it wasn't my vbox that was screwing things up. Same result, spotread (in tools directory
) works fine but driver isn't initialized properly during HCFR start-up, the debug output is a little bit different compared to vbox start-up regarding the libusb "open" call:

I thought I was a getting a little closer to getting to the bottom of this with the logs I have. I think the problem is down to opening the usb stuff twice causing issues with the libusb0 driver, but this does seem slightly different, can you send me the complete stderr.log file?

Thanks

John

P.S. Zoyd and Jason, thanks for the helping people out on this thread too, it really is appreciated

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/21947714

1) Yes this is the same regardless of software, this is how most of the colorimeters do their calibration. Don't use a shiny reflective black surface, just a matte black.

2) I believe the VW85 should be non-refresh with lamp based front projection spectral. CRT and Plasma use refresh.

3) You'll use the i1d3ccss.exe in the tools directory to 'unlock' those spectral pre-set tables for greater accuracy (per display type).

Jason

Thank you so much Jason!

·
Registered
840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21941662

Version 3.0.4.0

+ Update argyll code to latest version with fixes for i1d3

+ Add support for ccss file with i1d3

+ Various minor memory fixes

Get it here

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr...p.exe/download

John

Hello John,

Nice work, we just realize you may not have the latests updates of the initial ColorHCFR sources.

There was quite some non-public work done, especially around Argyll integration and a few bug correction. Also it allows x, y and Y adjustment in direct reading and a few other improvements...

It could be late but worth having a look...

This beta could be downloaded here :

Sources : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorim...rc_beta166.zip

Exe : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorim...xe_beta166.zip

Bear in mind this was a beta version (the last one from the original team).

--Patrice

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laric /forum/post/21948338

Hello John,

Nice work, we just realize you may not have the latests updates of the initial ColorHCFR sources.

There was quite some non-public work done, especially around Argyll integration and a few bug correction. Also it allows x, y and Y adjustment in direct reading and a few other improvements...

It could be late but worth having a look...

This beta could be downloaded here :

Sources : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorim...rc_beta166.zip

Exe : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorim...xe_beta166.zip

Bear in mind this was a beta version (the last one from the original team).

--Patrice

Hi and thanks a lot Patrice, it would certainly be good to pick up any bug fixes and the other improvements although I'll probably leave the argyll code as it is now as it seems to be nearly there. I take a look through the other changes and merge them in.

John

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappat /forum/post/21947136

The i1Display Pro and the Colormunki Display and the Spyder 4 colorimeters all have the spectral sensitivities of their filters encoded in the hardware. So a spectrophotometer can be used to take a generic reading of the display that then allows one of these colorimeters to correct more accurately for this type of display.

X-Rite released 4 generic samples with the i1Profiler software. These are in X-Rites .EDR format. The argyll utility, i1d3ccss.exe, can convert .EDR format files to Argylls .ccss format. In fact, if you have i1Profiler installed, then this utility will automagically locate the .EDR files for you and install them into a location that is common to all the Argyll utilities and in which HCFR looks to find these files. If you don't have i1Profiler installed, it can read them off the installation media. Or you can locate them yourself and just call i1d3ccss -S 1

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kha0tic /forum/post/21948689

The i1Display Pro and the Colormunki Display and the Spyder 4 colorimeters all have the spectral sensitivities of their filters encoded in the hardware. So a spectrophotometer can be used to take a generic reading of the display that then allows one of these colorimeters to correct more accurately for this type of display.

X-Rite released 4 generic samples with the i1Profiler software. These are in X-Rites .EDR format. The argyll utility, i1d3ccss.exe, can convert .EDR format files to Argylls .ccss format. In fact, if you have i1Profiler installed, then this utility will automagically locate the .EDR files for you and install them into a location that is common to all the Argyll utilities and in which HCFR looks to find these files. If you don't have i1Profiler installed, it can read them off the installation media. Or you can locate them yourself and just call i1d3ccss -S 1

If I have installed i1profiler, I just need to double click i1d3ccss.exe in the tools directory, right?

However, after I double click the i1d3ccss.exe, there is still nothing in the Etalon_Argyll directory. Is that OK?

By the way, I did not find any .edr file in the i1profiler directories.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The posts this past 24 hours have been addressing multiple issues lingering in the back of my mind... just wasn't sure how to ask the questions. Me and my i1D3 thank everyone here, not just for your input, but for all the questions as well. Cheers.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd /forum/post/21945911

I tried with win7 laptop just to make sure it wasn't my vbox that was screwing things up. Same result, spotread (in tools directory) works fine but driver isn't initialized properly during HCFR start-up, the debug output is a little bit different compared to vbox start-up regarding the libusb "open" call:

Just to reiterate. If you have an i1d3 then you need to run as Administrator, otherwise the Argyll libs can't open the device.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by kha0tic /forum/post/21949963

Just to reiterate. If you have an i1d3 then you need to run as Administrator, otherwise the Argyll libs can't open the device.

yes, I saw your previous message.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightc /forum/post/21949039

If I have installed i1profiler, I just need to double click i1d3ccss.exe in the tools directory, right?

However, after I double click the i1d3ccss.exe, there is still nothing in the Etalon_Argyll directory. Is that OK?

By the way, I did not find any .edr file in the i1profiler directories.

It's best to run i1d3ccss on the command line. Read the Argyll manpage for the i1d3ccss program to understand what it does.

When i1Profiler is installed, the X-Rite .EDR files are located in ":\\Program Files\\X-Rite\\Devices\\i1d3\\Calibrations". i1d3ccss will convert the EDR files and install the converted ccss files into one of the following two directories, either \\ProgramData\\color or somewhere in \\Users\\\\AppData, the former if you specify the -S l flag and the latter if the -S u flag or omit the option.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kha0tic /forum/post/21948689

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/21947187

They are reference files/tables that are actually with the meter, you do not configure them. There is an executable with HCFR in the tools directory that allows the tables to be used with HCFR. Basically it shifts some settings around in order to yield more accurate results with each type of display technology (options for plasma, ccfl-lcd, led-lcd (rgb & white), lamp based front projection, etc).

Jason

Thank you both!
I will get a chance to test it out this weekend.

501 - 520 of 13608 Posts