AVS Forum banner

841 - 860 of 13608 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I finally picked up an i1D3 and used it with HCFR 3.0.4.0 on my Panasonic VT30 plasma.

HCFR was reading red noticeably low on my plasma by around 8-10%. If I boosted red to the level HCFR wanted me to, the resulting color temp would have been somewhere in the 6000k-6250k range and the picture was distinctly too red when viewing several pieces of reference material which I use for checking skin-tones when calibrating.

I manually applied Zoyd's correction matrix posted back around page 21 and this helped things considerably. Calibrating to 6500k using Zoyd's matrix results in much more natural looking skin tones vs. without the matrix. I calibrated 1 color temp (i.e. "normal") without the matrix and 1 color temp (i.e. "warm") with the matrix applied so that I could easily do A-B comparisons on the same material and Zoyd's matrix was more accurate on 100% of the content I tested vs. using no matrix at all.

So in summary, thank-you very much Zoyd for posting your matrix, and I really hope that this plasma error gets corrected in a future release!

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #842

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22306812

So in summary, thank-you very much Zoyd for posting your matrix, and I really hope that this plasma error gets corrected in a future release!

no problem. Just to clarify, there is no plasma error with HCFR, this is just the way the D3 probe reads plasmas. It has to be adjusted using the correction matrix due to the particular nature of the phosphor spectral distribution.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22307106

no problem. Just to clarify, there is no plasma error with HCFR, this is just the way the D3 probe reads plasmas. It has to be adjusted using the correction matrix due to the particular nature of the phosphor spectral distribution.

Interesting. Well, it would probably make sense at some point for HCFR to provide a "Plasma" display type selection and load a standard/built-in correction matrix by default (which can be overridden if needed/desired) vs. simply letting users calibrate their displays and wind up with too much red in the grayscale unbeknownst to them.

I believe this is what Calman does for users automatically, no? I fully realize Calman is a paid product with a lot more resources to devote to development, but building similar functionality into HCFR should be a goal, even if it cannot be accomplished immediately. I just think a lot of plasma owners will make the mistake of not manually adjusting the matrix and will therefore end up with incorrect calibration results.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just purchased an i1pro, thought it may work with HCFR 3.0.4.0, alas it cannot find any driver?????? Does the I1pro work with HCFR?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22307165

Interesting. Well, it would probably make sense at some point for HCFR to provide a "Plasma" display type selection and load a standard/built-in correction matrix by default (which can be overridden if needed/desired) vs. simply letting users calibrate their displays and wind up with too much red in the grayscale unbeknownst to them.

I believe this is what Calman does for users automatically, no? I fully realize Calman is a paid product with a lot more resources to devote to development, but building similar functionality into HCFR should be a goal, even if it cannot be accomplished immediately. I just think a lot of plasma owners will make the mistake of not manually adjusting the matrix and will therefore end up with incorrect calibration results.
+1. And the i1D3 is probably the most popular colorimeter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22307106

So what about LCDs? Do you have to use a correction matrix, or are the spectral samples included with the i1profiler software good enough? I calibrated my LG LCDs back when my i1display lt was still somewhat accurate and I re-checked my settings after about a year with my i1display pro without a spectral sample and the measurements were almost identical to my measurements with my i1d-lt a year ago.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22307279

Just purchased an i1pro, thought it may work with HCFR 3.0.4.0, alas it cannot find any driver?????? Does the I1pro work with HCFR?

You can use HCFR 2.1 with the i1Pro spectro.

Jason

·
Registered
487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22307752

You can use HCFR 2.1 with the i1Pro spectro.

Jason

Tried that - get a driver error every time even though im puttting eyeone.dll in the colorhcfr folder??

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22307165

I understand a correction matrix is only needed for certain cheaper probes, correct?

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22308560

Tried that - get a driver error every time even though im puttting eyeone.dll in the colorhcfr folder??

That should be all you need to do. Try this: If you've got any x-rite software running in your system tray, shut it down before launching HCFR. ( a guess, but it's all I've got)

·
Registered
487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22308573

That should be all you need to do. Try this: If you've got any x-rite software running in your system tray, shut it down before launching HCFR. ( a guess, but it's all I've got)

got it working now - now i want to proifile my id3 from my i1pro.

When I do a run with hcfr 2.1 with the i1pro, do i do a full run of RGB colors and a full grayscale measurement?

Cheers

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22308579

got it working now - now i want to proifile my id3 from my i1pro.

When I do a run with hcfr 2.1 with the i1pro, do i do a full run of RGB colors and a full grayscale measurement?

Cheers

Here are clear instructions by LarryInRI: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1420779/noob-question-profiling-i1-display-pro-against-and-i1-pro#post_22230797

Now here's the twist though. Since your i1d3 isn't supported in HCFR 2.1, you'll have to use the i1Pro to take the measurements in 2.1, save the file, launch HCFR 3, open the file you just saved, and pick up the process from there with the i1d3. An extra step, but no problem.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
JohnAD, how far away are you from getting the i1Pro working with the latest version? I can push off going back to my calibration for a few weeks or so if this is near-term. I've used older versions of HCFR with my i1Pro. In terms of functionality, what's the difference between 3.0.0 (I believe from reading Zoyd's posts that the i1Pro works with this version) and later versions? How far away are we from the next significant release?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Yes saw that. A plain English summary would be good. I understand the fundamental change is the use of Argyll instead of individual probe manufacturer drivers for probe management? (In OS-X we don't need to mess with things like dlls and that sort of guff.) If the i1Pro worked with 3.0.0 why did functionality drop in later versions?

·
Registered
487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22308591

Here are clear instructions by LarryInRI: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1420779/noob-question-profiling-i1-display-pro-against-and-i1-pro#post_22230797

Now here's the twist though. Since your i1d3 isn't supported in HCFR 2.1, you'll have to use the i1Pro to take the measurements in 2.1, save the file, launch HCFR 3, open the file you just saved, and pick up the process from there with the i1d3. An extra step, but no problem.

Actually its not that clear - as per my question, presumably i use red green blue and 1 x white window, all at 75% for example?

Or do i use red green blue and the entire grayscale from 0 to 100 ire - apologies for the questions but i am still learning.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaa75  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22308771

Actually its not that clear - as per my question, presumably i use red green blue and 1 x white window, all at 75% for example?

Or do i use red green blue and the entire grayscale from 0 to 100 ire - apologies for the questions but i am still learning.

red green blue and 1 x white window, all at 75% (or all at 100%)

·
Registered
487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominickwok  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22309126

red green blue and 1 x white window, all at 75% (or all at 100%)

Great! thanks

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
For profiling I measure RGBW (75%) with the i1pro using version 3.0.0.0 and then copy those measurements into a simulated probe sheet in 3.0.4.0 Check it as reference and then run the D3 in another sheet and compute the correction matrix.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22309965

For profiling I measure RGBW (75%) with the i1pro using version 3.0.0.0 and then copy those measurements into a simulated probe sheet in 3.0.4.0 Check it as reference and then run the D3 in another sheet and compute the correction matrix.
where can I find ver 3.0.0.0? sourceforge only has the latest version.

I found it, google hcfr 3.0.0.0 and a link to sourceforge will be the 1st hit/

thanks

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/810#post_22306318

or....I run an xp vbox on my Mac that works with HCFR

But then I would have to buy a copy of XP. It would be great if HCFR could run on Crossover . Then a Mac user could run it without Parallels etc and without having to purchase Windows.

EDIT: Hmmm..... http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/search/?name=hcfr&search=app Anyone had a play with this on later versions?

841 - 860 of 13608 Posts