AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 13608 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22309965

For profiling I measure RGBW (75%) with the i1pro using version 3.0.0.0 and then copy those measurements into a simulated probe sheet in 3.0.4.0 Check it as reference and then run the D3 in another sheet and compute the correction matrix.

Hi Zoyd

Any specific reaspon why you have decided to take this route? Presumably using 2.1 for the pro profile then using 3.0.3.4 for the iD3 should be ok?

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
Yes that works just fine, I have done it several times already (2.1 -> 3.0.4.0).

I had thought there was a bug in 3.0.0.0 with the i1Pro and the later version 3 releases simply did not work..(maybe not)?

Jason

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22310433

Yes that works just fine, I have done it several times already (2.1 -> 3.0.4.0).

I had thought there was a bug in 3.0.0.0 with the i1Pro and the later version 3 releases simply did not work..(maybe not)?

Jason

+1

i1pro does not work in 3.0.0.0

Successful manually installed Argyll driver and win7 64bit reports i1pro is working.

After i start HCFR 3.xx program can not communicate with i1pro.

Am i forgeting something?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/750#post_22203584

Code:
Code:
[CODE]1.055150     0.008338        -0.013504
0.009191        1.028573        -0.008165
-0.013243       0.020807        0.977213
[/CODE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/750#post_22204517

Code:
Code:
[CODE]1.038606808  -0.002502512    -0.011492028
0.010401065     0.994002567     -0.003384238
-0.006758658    0.008717773     0.977999919
[/CODE]
Just want to thank zoyd and kjgarrison for posting their correction matrices. I've tried both of them on my 60ST50 / i1Display Pro and they are very similar indeed and both work very well. Most notably Red in the highend measured low without correction making me set W/B High R to +1 vs -6 / -7 with the correction matrices. They each measure blue and red slightly different but the resulted settings for both were within +/-1.

zoyd's matrix / jjgarrison's matrix / no correction:

W/B High R: -7 / -6 / +1

W/B High G: 0 / 0 / 0

W/B High B: +5 / +4 / +4

W/B Low R: +11 / +11 / +11

W/B Low G: 0 / 0 / 0

W/B Low B: +3 / +2 / +2

Looking at other calibration reports by pros, the color points for the ST50 are very close, but mine (without correction) green and cyan were a little off. Using these matrices made the points much closer after a GS calibration.

Very happy with how things look now.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the 3 color matrix and a 4 color matrix, as per kjgarrisons earlier post in respect of correction matrix.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I'm interested to know as well. I think I read somewhere in this thread that the 4 color matrix should be used. The one I quoted (4 color matrix) was the one I used.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I used v 2.1 to create a reference document to profile my i1d3 to my i1pro. I measure the primaries and secondaries with the i1pro, including the white measure, and save the file. I open the chc file in v 3.0.4.0, create a new file, run the primary and secondary measures with the i1d3, select the i1pro file as the reference, and create the profile, then save the profile. All goes well to this point. When I load the profile into a new file to use with the i1d3, everything measures ok until the last measure in the primaries sand secondaries, then an error pops up "Invalid measure matrix".

I have repeated this 3 times with the same result. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

thanks

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
If one has an i1Pro why would you want to use an i1D3 for calibration?

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22313244

If one has an i1Pro why would you want to use an i1D3 for calibration?

I1D3 does a better low ire (brightness) measure than the i1pro.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a new ColorMunki Display, installed the software, updated the software from V1.01 to V1.02, and I was able to calibrate the screen of my PC. So the ColorMunki drivers are working.

I also installed HCFR 3.04, and this version is supposed to support the ColorMunki.

However when I try to use HCFR, it doesn't find the ColorMunki. My only choices are Simulated Sensor, DTP-94, and HCFR sensor.

I tried to figure out what can be wrong, and I noticed that the ColorMunki.inf file in the drivers section has different Vendor and and Product IDs compared to the real ID's that I found with DXdiag.

The ColorMunki.inf file has VID_ 0971 and PID_2007, the real values are VID_0765 and PID_5020.

I noticed that the DTP-94.inf file in HCFR also has VID_0765, but a different PID value.

I edited the ColorMunki.inf file to reflect the actual VID and PID values, but still HCFR only gave me the same three choices.

Then I removed all DTP-94 files from the driver section, and still I get the same three choices.

HCFR is aware that the ColoMunki is connected, because it reports Incorrect driver - Starting communication with the meter failed with severe error. Argyll error. Without the ColoMunki connected I don't get this notification.

I reported this on the HCFR forum, but so far no reaction. Is there anyone on this forum who can tell me what is wrong?

·
Registered
161 Posts

i1pro does not work in 3.0.0.0

Successful manually installed Argyll driver and win7 64bit reports i1pro is working.

After i start HCFR 3.xx program can not communicate with i1pro.

Am i forgeting something?

Ps sorry for ask this twice but i really want to try the v3 version with my i1pro

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunnsat  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22313268

I bought a new ColorMunki Display, installed the software, updated the software from V1.01 to V1.02, and I was able to calibrate the screen of my PC. So the ColorMunki drivers are working.

I also installed HCFR 3.04, and this version is supposed to support the ColorMunki.

However when I try to use HCFR, it doesn't find the ColorMunki. My only choices are Simulated Sensor, DTP-94, and HCFR sensor.

I tried to figure out what can be wrong, and I noticed that the ColorMunki.inf file in the drivers section has different Vendor and and Product IDs compared to the real ID's that I found with DXdiag.

The ColorMunki.inf file has VID_ 0971 and PID_2007, the real values are VID_0765 and PID_5020.

I noticed that the DTP-94.inf file in HCFR also has VID_0765, but a different PID value.

I edited the ColorMunki.inf file to reflect the actual VID and PID values, but still HCFR only gave me the same three choices.

Then I removed all DTP-94 files from the driver section, and still I get the same three choices.

HCFR is aware that the ColoMunki is connected, because it reports Incorrect driver - Starting communication with the meter failed with severe error. Argyll error. Without the ColoMunki connected I don't get this notification.

I reported this on the HCFR forum, but so far no reaction. Is there anyone on this forum who can tell me what is wrong?
Exit the colormunki stuff that's running in the system tray before starting HCFR. The Argyl driver can't connect to the meter while the colormunki app is loaded.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/510#post_21954288

With a meter like the i1pro you need to block the aperture when you calibrate it because it's calculating a dark offset.

Zoyd, can you explain this? I remember this from when I used the old HCFR software but I'm puzzled as to why when the i1 Pro when being used with Xrite software is calibrated on a white tile.

·
Registered
487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/870#post_22313576

Zoyd, can you explain this? I remember this from when I used the old HCFR software but I'm puzzled as to why when the i1 Pro when being used with Xrite software is calibrated on a white tile.

I'd like to know what this means aswell, since i just did an inside of a dvd case jobby to calibrate mine before taking measurements, and didnt use a white tile.

Profiled my i1d3 tonite, got the following correction file.

0.990621 0.026593 -0.011081

-0.020218 1.008384 0.003263

0.011199 -0.015908 0.955398

Got a pretty good calibration using Calman 4
Looks great!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/870#post_22313455

Exit the colormunki stuff that's running in the system tray before starting HCFR. The Argyl driver can't connect to the meter while the colormunki app is loaded.

Thanks, I found what you mean. I will post the complete procedure later on so that anyone can understand what to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How to use the X-Rite ColorMunki Display colorimeter with HCFR 3.04.

When you bought the ColorMunki Display colorimeter, you most likely installed the X-Rite software as well. This software package makes it possible to use the ColorMunki permanently, and for that purpose the installation procedure installs a piece of software that will start at boot time. This software will attach the ColorMunki and thus prevent HCFR to attach the ColorMunki.

To allow HCFR to attach the ColorMunki this software has to be stopped with the following procedure:
  • Use ctrl-alt-del to start the Task Manager
  • Click on the Processes tab
  • Click on Image Name to get an alphabetical list of the running processes
  • Look for the ColorMunkiDisplayTray.exe process
  • Right-click on ColorMunkiDisplayTray.exe and choose End Process Tree
  • Use File > exit Task Manager to close the Task Manager

Now you can start HCFR and the ColorMunki will be visible in the list of available colorimeters.

The ColorMunki software comes with a number of profiles that you can use in HCFR. To make these profiles available to HCFR do the following:
  • Open a Command box by using Start > Run and entering cmd , or Start > Programs > Accesoires > Command Prompt, what ever you like.
  • Go to the tools directory of HCFR, cd C:\Program Files\HCFR Calibration\Tools
  • run the program i1d3ccss, i1d3ccss -v -S l

The profiles should now be visible in the Spectral Sample setting when you start a new calibration with HCFR.

There are more options with i1d3ccss, using i1d3ccss --help wil give you a very limited help. Otherwise use Google to find more information like man pages. However the previous procedure is fine for most users.

The previous information is based on HCFR 3.04, ColorMunki software 1.02, and Windows Vista.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbeenl  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/840#post_22313265

I1D3 does a better low ire (brightness) measure than the i1pro.

Can I ask why? Even with the latest drivers? I just find it odd that a cheap colorimeter that needs a colour correction matrix can outperform a much more expensive and sophisticated spectrophotometer. If this were true sales of the i1Pro would collapse.

I'm sure John is very busy with a bunch of things at this moment but it would be great to get a bit of a status update on how things are coming along. I guess the things I am most interested in are:

- any progress on hunting down the issue with the i1Pro?

- any update on adding support for ITU-R BT1886? (this is rather fundamental to display calibration)

Also, what dE definition is currently being used? I recall from my previous discussions on and use of HCFR (but I may have a poor memory) that it was still using the now rather dated dE 76 definition. After that, Mac support would be next.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/870#post_22314984

Can I ask why? Even with the latest drivers? I just find it odd that a cheap colorimeter that needs a colour correction matrix can outperform a much more expensive and sophisticated spectrophotometer. If this were true sales of the i1Pro would collapse.

I was also interested in this and found the following on TFT Central website...

"The i1 Pro hardware itself is widely regarded as a high end spectrophotometer and is one of the best you can buy without spending several thousands of pounds or getting true 'reference grade' equipment. Being a spectrophotometer it offers the most accurate readings for the widest range of displays and is more suited than a colorimeter due to the way it reads light and makes measurements. The i1 Pro does have a drawback in its relatively limited low-light sensitivity. It simply does not read as low (close to black) as most colorimeters. The i1 Pro alone is therefore not the perfect choice for gamma and contrast measurements that will generally require readings below the i1 Pro's effective operating range, but it can easily be paired with a decent colorimeter to provide these measurements."

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I'm still rather sceptical. What L* do people measure on their PDPs when set at 0 NDDL (IRE =0 or reference black post setting "brightness")? I need to get HCFR up and running again to test my Kuro but I regularly use my i1Pro to set B&W printing profiles for fine art inkjet printing. This requires the i1Pro to distinguish between, for example, L* values down around 5 or so which is pretty damn black (densities > 2.25). (Admittedly those are reflective readings and not emissive)

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #880
Which L*?

For L*=116*(Y/Yw)^1/3 the D3 can measure down to L*=5 (contrast=12000 @ 120 cd/m^2 white), the i1pro if used very carefully with extended integration time or averaging can only measure down to L*= 9 (contrast=2400 @ 120 cd/m^2 white). This is because the colorimeter integrates the flux over a much larger bandpass prior to the detector.

861 - 880 of 13608 Posts