AVS Forum banner

12201 - 12220 of 12743 Posts

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
A very simple question: how to calibrate a 4k projector for SDR beyond the 709 with HCFR? Is there any guide? Thank you very much
Not sure what you mean by “SDR beyond 709”.

Some UHD players can be set to output “SDR/BT2020”, in which case the calibration process is the same as regular SDR, other than using BT2020/P3, or BT2020 50% saturation patterns.

·
Registered
8,871 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello!

I´m going to do my first atempt with calibrating my Oled with HCFR. I´m using an x-rite i1 display pro. The TV is an Philips 901f using the 2016 LG WRGB Oled panel.

Before my calibration atempt i have some questions:

1. I see that you in HCFR can choose which sensor to use (xrite i1 in my case) and then choose a corection file. Since i havent got the i1 calibrated i supoose i shouldn´t choose a correction file? Or is there any universal correction file fot the i1 that I should use and download?

2. After i have choosen which sensor to use i get to choose what type of display to calibrate. Here I´m quite lost…. I can se that there are diferent types of Oleds (WRGB Oled and LED Oled) to choose from. I have even read in som other thread that I should skip the Oled choises and just go for the Non-Refresh display. Which is the right way to go?

3. Under preferences and in the tab refernce you can choose different color checker patterns. I´m not sure what all the different patterns here is, but I´m using an USB memory plugged in the tv with rec709 patterns for HCFR downloaded here from the forum. I supoose that I shall use GCD Classic for these patterns?

4. When calibrating for HD Rec 709 with an Oled is ITU-R BT 1886 the right way to go? With a gamma around 2,2 and 120 cd/m2 for 100% White?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey y'all - after A LOT of reading and help from this forum I was able to calibrate my Vizio PX75-G1 for SD and HD content using HCFR. The calibration process is starting to make sense, and with the calibration settings on my TV I'm able to tweak quite a bit. Thanks for all the help!

HDR calibration baffles me still unfortunately. Is anyone aware of an updated HCFR "dummies" guide that covers a typical HDR calibration workflow? I'm running HCFR on a Macbook Pro using bootcamp, and have a i1 Display Pro retail probe.

A few follow-on comments/questions.

I have HDR test patterns that send the proper metadata to my TV, but the techniques I use to dial-in white balance and color don't seem to do anything (in HCFR and on the TV). My TV has an 11 point RGB white balance calibration mode (5% to 100%) but changing the RGB for a given % doesn't move the needle on correcting the D65 RGB errors. I'm not even sure if I'm even supposed to be correcting for D65 in HDR.

I've seen forum references to a PQ curve but I don't know how to bring that up in HCFR, nor do I know how to interpret it or change it's values based on my TV calibration white balance/color settings. Again, tweaking RGB for white balance and color doesn't seem to affect anything.

Thanks for your patience...I'm trying to read all I can but there's so much out there and it's hard to weave it all together into a sensible HCFR calibration workflow.

Dan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello boys and girls!

This was fun, I just did my first calibration after hours of reading in this thread and at the forum.

The tv I calibrated is an Philips 901f (2016 LG Oled panel). I would appreciate if someone wanted to look att my wokrflow and my result, just so I don´t do any dumb rookie mistakes! :)

I started to choose the non-refresh dispaly and my x-rite probe.

After that I opened the preference meny and choosed the following things:

Because I have got an Oled where the black really is black i assume that I don´t shall use black compensation? So I just choosed HDTV Rec 709, ITU-R BT 1886 and GCD classic as color checker. I used testpatterns on an USB as signal generator.

After som adjustments of RGB at the blackpoint and whitepoint I got the folowing greyscale readings. TV gamma set to +1:

Another reading with gamma set to +2 gave me this result:

Looking at the luminance graph and the gamma graph it looks like gamma +2 shall be used, even if I´m a bit confused over that the Delta E seems a bit lower on gamma +1.

I also have a questin about the gamma curve for ITU-R BT 1886, I thougt it started at around 2,2 in the lower end and raised to about 2,4 in the higher end. But looking at the reference curve i HFCR in the Pictures above it looks like a stright 2,3 gamma curve? Maybe there is some setting in HFCR that I have got wrong?

After the greyscale run and some tweaking in the CMS Controls I got the following readings for the 100% color patterns:

After I did the 100% run I changed the settings under references to REC 709 75% and did another rund with the 75% color paterns. I hope the choose of REC 709 75% is the right way? I was a bit confused if I should choose this option or just stay with the ordinary REC 709 and just look at the 75% target in the chart instead of the 100% target. Maybe both choises do the same thing? :)

The 75% chart looked like this:

While the 100% is spot on target, the 75% is just a little of target. But I suppose it is best to get the 75% readings spot on and then let the 100% reading be what it is?

Would realy appreciate if someone takes time to look at my readings and gave me some feedback.

I´m really sorry for some of the big pictures, for some reason they didn´t get smaller even if I did try to reduce them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello boys and girls!

This was fun, I just did my first calibration after hours of reading in this thread and at the forum.

The tv I calibrated is an Philips 901f (2016 LG Oled panel). I would appreciate if someone wanted to look att my wokrflow and my result, just so I don´t do any dumb rookie mistakes! :)

I started to choose the non-refresh dispaly and my x-rite probe.

After that I opened the preference meny and choosed the following things:

Because I have got an Oled where the black really is black i assume that I don´t shall use black compensation? So I just choosed HDTV Rec 709, ITU-R BT 1886 and GCD classic as color checker. I used testpatterns on an USB as signal generator.

After som adjustments of RGB at the blackpoint and whitepoint I got the folowing greyscale readings. TV gamma set to +1:

Another reading with gamma set to +2 gave me this result:

Looking at the luminance graph and the gamma graph it looks like gamma +2 shall be used, even if I´m a bit confused over that the Delta E seems a bit lower on gamma +1.

I also have a questin about the gamma curve for ITU-R BT 1886, I thougt it started at around 2,2 in the lower end and raised to about 2,4 in the higher end. But looking at the reference curve i HFCR in the Pictures above it looks like a stright 2,3 gamma curve? Maybe there is some setting in HFCR that I have got wrong?

After the greyscale run and some tweaking in the CMS Controls I got the following readings for the 100% color patterns:

After I did the 100% run I changed the settings under references to REC 709 75% and did another rund with the 75% color paterns. I hope the choose of REC 709 75% is the right way? I was a bit confused if I should choose this option or just stay with the ordinary REC 709 and just look at the 75% target in the chart instead of the 100% target. Maybe both choises do the same thing? :)

The 75% chart looked like this:

While the 100% is spot on target, the 75% is just a little of target. But I suppose it is best to get the 75% readings spot on and then let the 100% reading be what it is?

Would realy appreciate if someone takes time to look at my readings and gave me some feedback.

I´m really sorry for some of the big pictures, for some reason they didn´t get smaller even if I did try to reduce them.
I think most reading your post would tell you to change display type to LG OLED and calibrate based on that. See how it goes with that.

You are right about the 1886 reference curve. Weird that it's showing as flat.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't use an i1 Display Pro for BT.1886 especially on a high contrast display like an OLED.
Since OLEDs have true black, it’s not really necessary to measure it (no instrument can measure it in any meaningful way).

BT.1886 lines up with 2.4 in that case.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Maybe I have never seen an actual proper BT.1886 calibration, but I was under the impression that almost nobody calibrates to BT.1886 and that it doesn't actually look that great.

People either use fixed gamma or custom curves, like 2.2 starting near black and curving up to 2.3 or so near white.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think most reading your post would tell you to change display type to LG OLED and calibrate based on that. See how it goes with that.

You are right about the 1886 reference curve. Weird that it's showing as flat.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Since the corection files is TV brand specific and even with differences from year to year I choosed to stick with a neutral profile since I have an Philips. Even if the panel is LG Philips have another Picture processor. But i will test the LG OLED correction file an se how it goes.

I agree about the reference curve, it is strange that it is flat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What would you recommend? Send the i1 to the dumpyard? :)
Or just skip BT .1886 and stay with a fixed gamma?
Nothing wrong with fixed gamma in my opinion. It needs to be understood that many MANY sources, still use 2.2 gamma. All the cameras in the world haven't magically changed to BT1886 overnight, or even 2.4. I have not seen a BluRay or UHD disc which states what gamma it was mastered too on the box. So if that's the case, who can ever be right? Sure, BT1886 is the new standard, and perhaps the latest films are being mastered to that, but what about all the older stuff? Frankly, I have my display set at 2.2, and a setting at 2.4, and I choose which one looks better to me on what I'm watching at the time (usually 2.4)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe I have never seen an actual proper BT.1886 calibration, but I was under the impression that almost nobody calibrates to BT.1886 and that it doesn't actually look that great.

People either use fixed gamma or custom curves, like 2.2 starting near black and curving up to 2.3 or so near white.
I thougt BT.1886 was the standard and that almost everyone had started to follow this standard?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nothing wrong with fixed gamma in my opinion. It needs to be understood that many MANY sources, still use 2.2 gamma. All the cameras in the world haven't magically changed to BT1886 overnight, or even 2.4. I have not seen a BluRay or UHD disc which states what gamma it was mastered too on the box. So if that's the case, who can ever be right? Sure, BT1886 is the new standard, and perhaps the latest films are being mastered to that, but what about all the older stuff? Frankly, I have my display set at 2.2, and a setting at 2.4, and I choose which one looks better to me on what I'm watching at the time (usually 2.4)
Maybe i should stay with a fixed 2,4 gamma then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since the corection files is TV brand specific and even with differences from year to year I choosed to stick with a neutral profile since I have an Philips. Even if the panel is LG Philips have another Picture processor. But i will test the LG OLED correction file an se how it goes.

I agree about the reference curve, it is strange that it is flat.

You are right about Philips having a different processor. But the meter needs to know what tech it's looking at. The RGB Gain/Bias controls are what fix the colour nuances of the processors. Maybe I will eat my words since I don't have an OLED, but I'll stand by my claim lol.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
12201 - 12220 of 12743 Posts