AVS Forum banner

13161 - 13180 of 13246 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for the help here.

Gamma and Luminance seem to be high. I see a Gamma adjustment on the epson 5050 but it doesnt match the 8 point greysale. It has 9 values. Any tips on how to change.

For Luminance, under greyscale on each point there is a brightness option, would adjusting this change the Luminance at each point?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Mine has hue saturation and luminance controls for each colour, but I can't seem to work out what the bar levels represent as any movement doesn't seem to relate to the adjustments in making?
For CMS it's easiest to display the CIE diagram while you’re making the adjustments. Changes in saturation and hue are easily observable on the CIE diagram (as well as the delta xy); changes in the luminance can be seen in the table itself (adjust Y towards Y-Target, minimize delta L).

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Thanks for the help here.

Gamma and Luminance seem to be high. I see a Gamma adjustment on the epson 5050 but it doesnt match the 8 point greysale. It has 9 values. Any tips on how to change.

For Luminance, under greyscale on each point there is a brightness option, would adjusting this change the Luminance at each point?
Luminace high means Gamma low.
Before getting into the 8-pt adjustments, you should first try difference gamma presets.

·
Registered
215 Posts
ok.. so i am assuming i want to add gamma then so in the presets, +1, or +2..
im done for today... tired.

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
ok.. so i am assuming i want to add gamma then so in the presets, +1, or +2..
im done for today... tired.
It may or may not work that way, when they use an arbitrary gamma scale (instead of a number that actually represents the gamma). You can just take a measurement at 50% while changing the scale, and see which one comes closest to 100% of the target value (your previous measurement showed about 123%); then measure the entire greyscale to check.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ok.. changed the gamma, color temp and few other things. lummiance seems good now and gamma is much better. still not perfect but maybe need to get into custom gamma to fix?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Ok.. changed the gamma, color temp and few other things. lummiance seems good now and gamma is much better. still not perfect but maybe need to get into custom gamma to fix?
Yes, although only the 10 and 20% points need adjusting.

·
Registered
215 Posts
the picture looks rather dull to me.. especially blues. When doing grayscale, blue was what I had to cut the most as well.

thoughts ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
the picture looks rather dull to me.. especially blues. When doing grayscale, blue was what I had to cut the most as well.

thoughts ?

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “dull”. Some people do prefer a cooler (more bluish) picture so they calibrate to D75 instead.

·
Registered
215 Posts
as an example.. clouds look more grey than blue.

·
Registered
215 Posts
ok.. let me watch for a few days and see. might just need to adjust. I meant the sky though.. not clouds.. sorry.

any idea how to use the epson custom gamma. im at -2 preset now but as you indicated 10-20 need a little work on gamma.

When adjusting the custom, I have not figured out the relationship yet. as an example, if I set custom to -2 across the board, I don't get the same results as -2 preset.

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
ok.. let me watch for a few days and see. might just need to adjust. I meant the sky though.. not clouds.. sorry.

any idea how to use the epson custom gamma. im at -2 preset now but as you indicated 10-20 need a little work on gamma.

When adjusting the custom, I have not figured out the relationship yet. as an example, if I set custom to -2 across the board, I don't get the same results as -2 preset.

No, -2 adjustment is not the same as using -2 gamma at all.
If you display a test pattern (let’s say 20% stimulus), the Epson screen will optionally show you which control affects that. Then adjust the control until you get 100% reading on the RGB scale.

·
Registered
215 Posts
How can the gamma presets not be related to the gamma custom?

that seems odd

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
as an example.. clouds look more grey than blue.
Picture being more grey suggests to me low saturation.

You have not posted any saturation sweeps yet so that would be what I would look at. Take color saturation measurements and post the CIE chart after.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
ok.. thanks for the additional tips. give me a few as I have to try and do other stuff this weekend or the family will disown me.

I'll play around with the saturation levels and custom gamma a bit later.

you guys are very responsive and helpful. much appreciated.

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
13161 - 13180 of 13246 Posts