AVS Forum banner

13181 - 13200 of 13246 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Adjusting greyscale typically does not have a significant impact on the saturation.
I agree it shouldn't, but it's still how I would tell them to verify that they are indeed getting correct saturation if for some reason the image looks dull, color-wise.

·
Registered
215 Posts
OK, luminance and gamma pretty good now.

i attached the CIE but don't know how to do saturation sweeps. i tried adjusting color on red and tint on cyan but it did not seem to change anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Here is the primary and secondary color CIE if it helps. I found adjustments for Hue, Saturation and Brightness for RGBCMY, so if they need adjusted, I think I know where to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Here is the primary and secondary color CIE if it helps. I found adjustments for Hue, Saturation and Brightness for RGBCMY, so if they need adjusted, I think I know where to go.
Yes but you didn't measure any of the saturation sweeps. If you think your image is lacking color that is what I would check.

·
Registered
215 Posts
How do I do that?

I think eyes were fired from looking at a screen, colors seem good now but surely want to validate

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Maybe this is what your looking for.

I adjusted the primary and secondary's a little bit with 100% saturation. Reading maybe do 75% but I don't know what the conversion values are for the other colors off white at 75%. I have only found them for 100.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
No, that's not what I am talking about.

You would show the CIE diagram with all the saturation points on it tracking from the center outward towards the primaries and secondaries.

You can see the measurement points in your CIE diagram in your other post, but you haven't measured them yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, if you have i1Studio (spectrophotometer) it can't be used to perform a full calibration, especially with projectors, as it's not good at low light measurements. You can use it only for creating a meter correction table for a colorimeter, nothing else.
Actually it can, it is as good as low light as you let it just extremely slow, and will bias the received black curve up and start slightly wavering in readouts (0.1 dE black drift), as opposed to cutting off like say i1 Display 3 does when you exceed its sensitivity range. Short version, its light reading below about 10% PQ are boosted while actual output isn't.
You can still use it for color balance there. Just don't try to adjust the contrast curves with it. I think both DisplayCal and Calman understand how this spectro works and will be more careful adjusting near black. (DisplayCal has this smoothing thing that also works on contrast.)
i1 Display 3 instead cuts to flat everything below ~3% PQ and at different actual place for each color.
I don't have the more advanced version enhanced for near-black operation, and anyway trying to super accurately calibrate near black is bound to ruin visual quality, just like on LCDs - the TV shifts to blue, it can be only partly corrected there without blackboosting.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I found where to run the saturation sweeps. I think this is the right graphs now.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
What's the process for adjusting these. Is it as easy as going to saturation for each color?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Most of the colours are actually slightly over-saturated, so that should not be the cause of the “grey ness”. The hues need a slight adjustment.
You should be able to adjust both using the CMS controls.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hy!

I want to calibrate a benq w2000 projector to bt.1886 gamma curve. But the projector only has 2 point white balance control.
Do you suggest to target bt.1886? And if yes which ire level need I to use at low end?

·
Registered
215 Posts
thanks... adjusted a little.

anything else to play with?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
You might have over-corrected somewhat. Blue and yellow are now slightly under-saturated. You also need to check the luminance (Y), which is visible in the "grid" (table) but not in the CIE diagram.

·
Registered
215 Posts
ok.. what are the Y values supposed to be.. assuming a compromise or which one takes priority.. the Y value?

edit:.. I already changed the Y values with brightness. but question.. what are they supposed to be. I saw some close but conflicting information

·
Registered
215 Posts
ok.. I will play with that tomarrow. time to actually watch something.

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Hy!

I want to calibrate a benq w2000 projector to bt.1886 gamma curve. But the projector only has 2 point white balance control.
Do you suggest to target bt.1886? And if yes which ire level need I to use at low end?
There’s no way to calibrate for BT.1886 unless you have 10- or 20-pt gamma control.

13181 - 13200 of 13246 Posts