AVS Forum banner

13521 - 13540 of 13614 Posts

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
I mean you can put the projector in BT2020 color space (so it has wide primaries), and then generate a DCI-P3 3DLUT for that mode.

This would make the projector “calibrated” to DCI-P3. As long as you use a large enough patch count the conversion of color space like this will work out fine.
I would think that in this case you would want BT.2020/P3 (P3 in BT2020 container), not “pure” DCI-P3.

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,315 Posts
I would think that in this case you would want BT.2020/P3 (P3 in BT2020 container), not “pure” DCI-P3.
In theory that would work as a BT2020 3LDUT. But how would you make one for madVR? There is no such option to target that gamut in DisplayCAL at least.

A 3DLUT only measures a "few" points (couple thousand ideally for such a gamut conversion), but it still always translates every single color within the gamut.

Imagine a native display gamut that doesn't really track any standard gamut. A 3DLUT can whip that random inaccurate gamut into any standard gamut very accurately with enough measurement points.

This is no different than telling the 3DLUT tool to transform some display's native BT.2020 gamut into something else such as P3.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hello, can anyone share who uses the correction matrices in HCFR or digital values that are manually driven into the correction matrix table for TV with VA, IPS panels (LV, Samsung), as well as diode and laser projectors for i1 pro2 and D3 sensors?
For these TVs and projectors, the sensors see approximately the same crooked colors, that is, after calibrating the gray scale, visually on a B / W image with a saturation of 0, red predominates noticeably and there is not enough blue.
In HCFR, the native corrections are all bypassed, although some reduce red and add blue, but not enough.

·
Registered
155 Posts
For D3, things are even worse, i1 pro2 adjusts the plasma at least less correctly, because its colors are closer to the standards, then D3 does not see red in all technologies, including plasma, and makes it even more delayed than i1 pro2. By the way, yes, blue D3 for me sees more correctly than i1 pro2, that is, it cuts it less. I don’t remember exactly, I haven’t used D3 for a long time, maybe even blue is upset.
And this curvature is out of the box for the new D3, that is, we are not talking about an age shift.
There is only one conclusion, diodes and laser do not give reference colors even close, therefore even more accurate i1 pro2 does not see them correctly and correction is needed.
The gray scale can still be corrected more or less, that is, after calibration, set b / w by 2 point settings by eye. You can even tweak the sensor, remove, for example, red to 85-90%, and add blue to 105-110%, but this is not serious, as well as adjust the color space with such a curvature in colors.
In general, file correction matrices or digital tables with 9 revision values are needed.
I tried to correct the colors in the table by eye, that is, I changed the values of only three 1.00000, set the red one more than 1, and the blue less than 1 for i1 pro2. Visually, B / W at 0 saturation improved significantly after calibration, in comparison with the built-in matrices in HCFR, i.e. i1 pro2 sees colors more correctly. But all the same, you can't screw it up by eye. Also, there are 6 zero values in the table (0.00000), I don't know what they correct, and I haven't tried to twist them yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello!

I recently received an i1Display Studio and attempted my first calibration on my Vizio TV yesterday. I wasn't able to get everything looking too well, as after an hour or two the final results were mostly red. I noticed that I was able to hone in the colors, but the gamma was way off. I plan to attempt it again this week, but one of the things which I don't really understand is how off the 20-point white balance controls are compared to the patterns that HCFR is sending to the TV.

I have HCFR sending automatic patterns via built-in Chromecast, and if I put a 30% pattern, I have to adjust 50% or 55% on the TV to have it see any changes. I'm sure something is off and needs to be corrected, but I am not sure what or how to make the 20-point controls match closer to the percent IRE that is being displayed, even if it cannot be exact.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Hello!

I recently received an i1Display Studio and attempted my first calibration on my Vizio TV yesterday. I wasn't able to get everything looking too well, as after an hour or two the final results were mostly red. I noticed that I was able to hone in the colors, but the gamma was way off. I plan to attempt it again this week, but one of the things which I don't really understand is how off the 20-point white balance controls are compared to the patterns that HCFR is sending to the TV.

I have HCFR sending automatic patterns via built-in Chromecast, and if I put a 30% pattern, I have to adjust 50% or 55% on the TV to have it see any changes. I'm sure something is off and needs to be corrected, but I am not sure what or how to make the 20-point controls match closer to the percent IRE that is being displayed, even if it cannot be exact.
Are the 20-point controls off when all other settings are at their factory default? In many cases adjusting Contrast or RGB Gains will shift them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are the 20-point controls off when all other settings are at their factory default? In many cases adjusting Contrast or RGB Gains will shift them.
The TV is on the Calibrated Dark preset, with the color temperature set to Warm. I changed the motion settings and the full array level for that preset, but besides those settings and the color temperature, the rest are on the factory defaults.

Should the selected 20-point level be checked after each tweak to the RGB gains in order to see if it's affecting the proper percentage? Would anything have to be done to the offset?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the 20-pt is only for gamma and not colours, then the RGB Gains should be adjusted first. I would start with Gains, and only adjust Offsets if absolutely necessary.
OK. The 20-point includes the colors. Is there a specific IRE I should test with after adjusting the gains to see if it's accurate? Or will any of them be sufficient enough?

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
OK. The 20-point includes the colors. Is there a specific IRE I should test with after adjusting the gains to see if it's accurate? Or will any of them be sufficient enough?
If the 20-point includes the colours then I would leave the gains alone, to minimize the shifting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the 20-point includes the colours then I would leave the gains alone, to minimize the shifting.
So I wouldn't need to adjust the gains to correct the shifting that is already present? It seems like, with the default settings on the Warm color temperature preset, there's about a 20% - 25% shift, where I need to adjust the RGB white balance control 20% higher than the pattern that is being displayed by the automatic generator in order for HCFR to recognize changes.

I apologize if I misunderstood what you were saying.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
So I wouldn't need to adjust the gains to correct the shifting that is already present? It seems like, with the default settings on the Warm color temperature preset, there's about a 20% - 25% shift, where I need to adjust the RGB white balance control 20% higher than the pattern that is being displayed by the automatic generator in order for HCFR to recognize changes.

I apologize if I misunderstood what you were saying.
There’s not much you can do if the shift occurs with the default settings. You need to make some large changes with the 20, 50, 80% controls, and run a 20-point sweep to see which ranges are affected, and go with that instead.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hello!

Try running manual patterns from a DVD or Blu-ray player (I use the GCD test disk with 10% windows patterns).
I had issues with my new Sony A8H OLED that the internal Chromecast app did not display the test patterns from HCFR correctly ! See here for my post about it HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration...

·
Registered
8 Posts
There’s not much you can do if the shift occurs with the default settings. You need to make some large changes with the 20, 50, 80% controls, and run a 20-point sweep to see which ranges are affected, and go with that instead.
OK. Thank you for all of your help!
Try running manual patterns from a DVD or Blu-ray player (I use the GCD test disk with 10% windows patterns).
I had issues with my new Sony A8H OLED that the internal Chromecast app did not display the test patterns from HCFR correctly ! See here for my post about it HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration...
Would that cause such a drastic shift?

·
Registered
595 Posts
OK. Thank you for all of your help!

Would that cause such a drastic shift?
Hi,

As someone previously mentioned, you need to try and isolate where the problem is and the easiest thing to do first is to try an alternate source for the patterns. If you have a Blu-Ray player, you can try the GCD test pattern disc (or the old alluringreality disc). If when you display a pattern off of one of those discs e.g. a 20% stimulus pattern and in order to change the measurements you need to adjust the 50% 20 point control on the tv then that points to something on the tv - either a setting or possibly buggy software.

good luck,

--tom

·
Registered
TCL 75Q825 - Onkyo 696 - 5.2.2 - Sierra1 FCR, SVS Prime Elevation SS + FH, Rythmik LV12F x 2
163 Posts
Hello!

In my unit I have to have contrast set to 100% so the IRE of patterns match the TVs. If not set to 100% I also experience a shift of anywhere from 5% to 15% through all IRE.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all
I have been asked to post this question here it was originally in the calibration thread

I could do with some advice regarding HDR calibration, namely
What patterns to use.
What patterns to use for adjustments.
Should I bother over 60%.

I am using the HDR10 patterns from Diversified Video Solutions USB directly in the TV as pattern generator
My software of choice is HCFR 3.5.1.4
Set as BT2020. Gamma is ST2084
i1display pro

Doing a 21 point gray scale sweep using the LG test patterns (codes) my luminance is all over the place.
Using the standard patterns (21 gray) luminance is fine and tracks very well.
However adjustments made with the standard patterns are not making a difference but with the LG code patterns adjustments are adjusting the white balance correctly.

Trial and error have led me to believe.
Use the standard patterns for the luminance sweep.
Use the LG patterns for the white balance sweep and adjusting the white balance.
Is this correct?

Also in HCFR a value is displayed in the software (just under the RGB columns), a triplet i believe?
The expected value and the measured values are way off when using the LG gray scale patterns is this normal?
When I calibrate SDR I use the triplet value to easily see where I need to go either plus or minus but am at a loss with HDR.
SDR calibration is near perfect

Thanks in advance any help will be greatly appreciated.

Michael

·
Registered
155 Posts
Здравствуйте, может ли кто-нибудь поделиться, кто использует матрицы коррекции в HCFR или цифровые значения, которые вручную вводятся в таблицу матриц коррекции для телевизоров с VA, IPS-панелями (LG, Samsung), а также диодными и лазерными проекторами для датчиков i1 pro2 и D3?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check the saturation sweeps. You CMS adjustments seem to be way off, worse than what those numbers show.
HI
I did spend some time to understand more about the process. Got a good hold of the basics now.
I tried calibrating again my projector and end up with same results in colour management. I'm not sure if my grey projector screen is interfering the white point of the colour management?
I tried saturation sweep and adjusted the 75% quiet good for main colours(except one colour), but 100% saturation sweep is way out.
Here is the results of my projector calibration (attached) and CIE presented:

Then i planned to check the calibration with my LG 4K TV (Just took reading no correction made):
It looks like the colour space was much accurate (i can easily correct the small errors), but gamma is bit far.
I have attached the report and CIE diagram from my TV presented below:
At least my TV colour space looks much closer to REC 709.(i can adjust and make it good for sure)

But what I'm doing wrong with my projector calibration is what I'm scratching my head now.
Some of the thoughts i have:
1. Is grey projection screen have impact on colour space? if so any special settings needed?
2. Looks like my projector colour space is not even close to REC709? Could be that the manufacturer don't support that ?? It's highly unlikely as its a latest DLP projector (Viewsonic X-10 4k).
3. I used the same laptop for my TV, which works great and so my interface should be correct. I'm using mad VR .
4. i used an user settings in projector and trying to adjust for 6500 colour temperature and REC709. All extra processing i have defeated in the projector settings.

Any advice here? Is that anything special i need to do in the settings for my projector calibration.
I did spend yesterday 5-6 hours for gamma and colour correction, but only succeeded partially in gamma correction and no luck with colour management at all, even though i have corrected some saturations.
BR
JIJI NK

Attachments

13521 - 13540 of 13614 Posts