AVS Forum banner

13541 - 13560 of 13613 Posts

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
HI
I did spend some time to understand more about the process. Got a good hold of the basics now.
I tried calibrating again my projector and end up with same results in colour management. I'm not sure if my grey projector screen is interfering the white point of the colour management?
I tried saturation sweep and adjusted the 75% quiet good for main colours(except one colour), but 100% saturation sweep is way out.
Here is the results of my projector calibration (attached) and CIE presented:
View attachment 3074273

Then i planned to check the calibration with my LG 4K TV (Just took reading no correction made):
It looks like the colour space was much accurate (i can easily correct the small errors), but gamma is bit far.
I have attached the report and CIE diagram from my TV presented below:
At least my TV colour space looks much closer to REC 709.(i can adjust and make it good for sure)
View attachment 3074275

But what I'm doing wrong with my projector calibration is what I'm scratching my head now.
Some of the thoughts i have:
1. Is grey projection screen have impact on colour space? if so any special settings needed?
2. Looks like my projector colour space is not even close to REC709? Could be that the manufacturer don't support that ?? It's highly unlikely as its a latest DLP projector (Viewsonic X-10 4k).
3. I used the same laptop for my TV, which works great and so my interface should be correct. I'm using mad VR .
4. i used an user settings in projector and trying to adjust for 6500 colour temperature and REC709. All extra processing i have defeated in the projector settings.

Any advice here? Is that anything special i need to do in the settings for my projector calibration.
I did spend yesterday 5-6 hours for gamma and colour correction, but only succeeded partially in gamma correction and no luck with colour management at all, even though i have corrected some saturations.
BR
JIJI NK
The Projector Central review did mention that the Rec709 colours are way over-saturated, and the greyscale measured 8500K at the 6500K setting.
Also, it uses an RGBB LED light source, which your meter may not able to read accurately.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Projector Central review did mention that the Rec709 colours are way over-saturated, and the greyscale measured 8500K at the 6500K setting.
Also, it uses an RGBB LED light source, which your meter may not able to read accurately.
ok thanks for the reply.
I see, so xrite i display pro plus may not able to read the colours accurately the RGBB LED light source? Any other meter recommendation for this purpose?
I have attached a recent report of my another trial of colour calibration , including all colour saturation reports just for your reference.

What is the best i can do in my case? Only gamma correction??

BR
JIJI N K

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Happy New Year!

What is the correct display type for dlp projectors(UHP lamp)?
As far as i know the correct setting is refresh display. But if I choose projector for the display type than I get closer readings to Calman(Front projector UHP).

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Happy New Year!

What is the correct display type for dlp projectors(UHP lamp)?
As far as i know the correct setting is refresh display. But if I choose projector for the display type than I get closer readings to Calman(Front projector UHP).
If the projector uses UHP lamp as light source then select Projector as display type, whether you have an LCD or DLP technology.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If the projector uses UHP lamp as light source then select Projector as display type, whether you have an LCD or DLP technology.
What Display should be selected for DLP projector with RGBB LED light source?
I was selecting Non refreshing Display(Display type) and Telephoto(reading type)until now for my projector.

BR
JIJI N K

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
What Display should be selected for DLP projector with RGBB LED light source?
I was selecting Non refreshing Display(Display type) and Telephoto(reading type)until now for my projector.
View attachment 3074793
BR
JIJI N K
As mentioned previously, the i1Display3 has no display type for RGBB light source, so you just have to use the “raw” readings (non-refresh). A spectrophotometer may give you more accurate readings for “unknown” display types.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ok thanks for the reply.
I see, so xrite i display pro plus may not able to read the colours accurately the RGBB LED light source? Any other meter recommendation for this purpose?
I have attached a recent report of my another trial of colour calibration , including all colour saturation reports just for your reference.

What is the best i can do in my case? Only gamma correction??

BR
JIJI N K
After this calibration, overall picture looks better , but red looks over saturated. I will redo the colour again. colour is sensitive to brightness and contrast as well . Brightness & Contrast is also sensitive to Greyscale(Gamma).
Every change is related to greyscale and colour.
I will keep on trying with getting the Gamma as good as possible.
I'm not sure if its a 2 point calibration for gamma? If i adjust 70 or 80% , then below 40% completely screwed up. If i do the vise versa, like adjusting 20-30% , then above 50 % completely screwed up.
With lots of iteration still not able to get the gamma consistent. I will try again .Any tips on how to get the gamma consistent around 2.2 to 2.3 below 40% and above 80%?
If i change the Green and Red colour , gamma has a big impact. If i correct Gamma with green colour, then , the color becomes way off after 40%.
Any suggestions? I will keep on trying on these and experiment more.

This is my gamma settings .

BR
JIJI N K

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
HI
I did spend some time to understand more about the process. Got a good hold of the basics now.
I tried calibrating again my projector and end up with same results in colour management. I'm not sure if my grey projector screen is interfering the white point of the colour management?
I tried saturation sweep and adjusted the 75% quiet good for main colours(except one colour), but 100% saturation sweep is way out.
Here is the results of my projector calibration (attached) and CIE presented:
View attachment 3074273

Then i planned to check the calibration with my LG 4K TV (Just took reading no correction made):
It looks like the colour space was much accurate (i can easily correct the small errors), but gamma is bit far.
I have attached the report and CIE diagram from my TV presented below:
At least my TV colour space looks much closer to REC 709.(i can adjust and make it good for sure)
View attachment 3074275

But what I'm doing wrong with my projector calibration is what I'm scratching my head now.
Some of the thoughts i have:
1. Is grey projection screen have impact on colour space? if so any special settings needed?
2. Looks like my projector colour space is not even close to REC709? Could be that the manufacturer don't support that ?? It's highly unlikely as its a latest DLP projector (Viewsonic X-10 4k).
3. I used the same laptop for my TV, which works great and so my interface should be correct. I'm using mad VR .
4. i used an user settings in projector and trying to adjust for 6500 colour temperature and REC709. All extra processing i have defeated in the projector settings.

Any advice here? Is that anything special i need to do in the settings for my projector calibration.
I did spend yesterday 5-6 hours for gamma and colour correction, but only succeeded partially in gamma correction and no luck with colour management at all, even though i have corrected some saturations.
BR
JIJI NK
The PDF reports are not very useful. Attach the HCFR data files (.chc files) for the factory default settings and after your adjustments.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Is it necessary to keep peak brightness setting off in LG OLED display for calibration?
Your question was answered over in the 2020 LG OLED calibration thread. Please don't post the same question in multiple threads.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Now i changed the extension from .chc to .txt.
The greyscale is much better after calibration, but the colour saturation sweeps seem to be worse. Try to focus on the 75% saturation points rather than 100%.

Before (adjusting for native white point)

After (look at the 75% red):

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your question was answered over in the 2020 LG OLED calibration thread. Please don't post the same question in multiple threads.
Sometimes they go unanswered so I posted in both threads then I figured i can't delete posts here, my bad I'm still new to these forums so excuse me if you can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

As someone previously mentioned, you need to try and isolate where the problem is and the easiest thing to do first is to try an alternate source for the patterns. If you have a Blu-Ray player, you can try the GCD test pattern disc (or the old alluringreality disc). If when you display a pattern off of one of those discs e.g. a 20% stimulus pattern and in order to change the measurements you need to adjust the 50% 20 point control on the tv then that points to something on the tv - either a setting or possibly buggy software.

good luck,

--tom
Hello!

I was able to test with the alluringreality disc, and unfortunately the same issue occurs. It seems that the TV is displaying the patterns 10 - 15% higher than what they actually should be. I can tell they look a bit brighter on my TV after viewing the DVD on a computer.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
If you're familiar with HCFR (or even if you're not), you may be interested in taking a look at the short guide I just posted on how to use ColourSpace ZRO to perform a basic set of measurements.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The greyscale is much better after calibration, but the colour saturation sweeps seem to be worse. Try to focus on the 75% saturation points rather than 100%.

Before (adjusting for native white point)
View attachment 3075222

After (look at the 75% red):
View attachment 3075223
Thanks for the comments.
Now i did a new saturation sweep with 75% for all colours. Please provide your comments. I have attached the file for your reference.

BR
JIJI N K

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
If calibrating and creating a MadVR 3D lut file using Displaycal. If I want to verify the results in HCFR do I need to use the ccss file for the i1 pro meter?

I would assume no but want to verify.

Also... is it better to do the calibration in HCFR first of just let Displaycal do it. My thoughts are I use the projector for more than just MadVR so calibrate with HCFR first, then just profile in Displaycal. this way I have a good calibration for all content and use the 3DLut when using MadVR.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Thanks for the comments.
Now i did a new saturation sweep with 75% for all colours. Please provide your comments. I have attached the file for your reference.

BR
JIJI N K
Red is still very much oversaturated. Other colours are not bad.

13541 - 13560 of 13613 Posts