AVS Forum banner

13821 - 13840 of 13897 Posts

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Not sure if it has worked correctly but here it is.
Looks very good. The red and magenta saturation sweeps look slightly "inconsistent". Were all the readings taken with the same settings?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looks very good. The red and magenta saturation sweeps look slightly "inconsistent". Were all the readings taken with the same settings?
Thats good to hear i have not made a complete mess of it, yeah all readings were taken using the same settings. Tried to do hdr again last night, not really having luck with this, been told with my particular tv that getting the eotf and 2pt balance tracking is what gets best results, i can gdt them ok but not as clean as i would like, colour wise i am baffled, obviously my tv cannot reach full p3 or bt.2020 so i don't expect it to reach the targets but the measured points are all over the place, worse is, when trying to adjust some of them, hcfr does not register any changes no matter how much i tweak a colour. Im sure i have a option wrong in the preferences options.

·
Registered
745 Posts
hello guys
it's been years since i last used the fantastic HCFR. for calibration and i only used it for for SDR. calibration what i want to ask, can HCFR. do HDR. ? is there any workflow/guide for HDR. that i can start with? in saying that im calibrating a JVC x7900 projector for HDR. mode. and im using the i1 Display pro
Thanks

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
hello guys
it's been years since i last used the fantastic HCFR. for calibration and i only used it for for SDR. calibration what i want to ask, can HCFR. do HDR. ? is there any workflow/guide for HDR. that i can start with? in saying that im calibrating a JVC x7900 projector for HDR. mode. and im using the i1 Display pro
Thanks
There’s a thread on using HCFR to calibrate HDR for Epson projectors:
The same principles apply to JVC projectors, although it’s much easier to use JVC’s own Autocal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There’s a thread on using HCFR to calibrate HDR for Epson projectors:
The same principles apply to JVC projectors, although it’s much easier to use JVC’s own Autocal.
Is there any guides for hdr tv's 😂🤣😂🤣

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Is there any guides for hdr tv's 😂🤣😂🤣
Each TV has its own quirks and limitations, but as far as HCFR is concerned I don’t see any major differences between SDR and HDR.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Mike, what settings are available to you when in HDR mode on your Samsung Q90R? What are you having trouble with?

cheers,

--tom
Hi,

Actually doing the calibration is ok in terms of measuring things, its just im not 100% sure if i have the hcfr options correct.

I have selected manual patterns (which i use spears and munsil uhd disc for) or the hdr10 patterns i downloaded.

Preferences:

General:
Use the 10bit targets (hdr10 bluray)
References:
I selected the st.2084 eotf
Dci p3 colour space
Color checker GCD classic
Master minL 0, Master MaxL 1000, Content MaxL 1000 & Frame Avg MaxL 400.
Advanced:
Color Difference Formula CIE2000.

I just not sure if i have it set correctly to measure hdr correctly, do them setting sound ok? Everything else is at default.

When measuring, I'm not sure what is good colour results and what is not due to the tv not hitting the reference targets.

·
Registered
651 Posts
When measuring, I'm not sure what is good colour results and what is not due to the tv not hitting the reference targets.
Hi,

It looks like in your screen capture that the color space is set to Rec2020. Your Samsung display is not going to be able to match that. According to Rtings - Samsung Q90/Q90R QLED Review (QN65Q90RAFXZA, QN75Q90RAFXZA, QN82Q90RAFXZA) - the Samsung Q90R comes close to matching the P3 standard.

So, if the Samsung is letting you calibrate via the Custom Color Space in HDR mode then I suppose could try matching the 50% saturation targets instead I would think. There may not be much you can do with color calibration in HDR mode. I would think getting the grayscale balance set is more important.

cheers,

--tom

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi,

It looks like in your screen capture that the color space is set to Rec2020. Your Samsung display is not going to be able to match that. According to Rtings - Samsung Q90/Q90R QLED Review (QN65Q90RAFXZA, QN75Q90RAFXZA, QN82Q90RAFXZA) - the Samsung Q90R comes close to matching the P3 standard.

So, if the Samsung is letting you calibrate via the Custom Color Space in HDR mode then I suppose could try matching the 50% saturation targets instead I would think. There may not be much you can do with color calibration in HDR mode. I would think getting the grayscale balance set is more important.

cheers,

--tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply, i will redo my calibrationnand use p3 and see how i get on, i understand the tv cannot get to full bt2020 or p3 gamut, as you say, its closer to the p3 so i will use that and see how i get on. Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Hi,

Actually doing the calibration is ok in terms of measuring things, its just im not 100% sure if i have the hcfr options correct.

I have selected manual patterns (which i use spears and munsil uhd disc for) or the hdr10 patterns i downloaded.

Preferences:

General:
Use the 10bit targets (hdr10 bluray)
References:
I selected the st.2084 eotf
Dci p3 colour space
Color checker GCD classic
Master minL 0, Master MaxL 1000, Content MaxL 1000 & Frame Avg MaxL 400.
Advanced:
Color Difference Formula CIE2000.

I just not sure if i have it set correctly to measure hdr correctly, do them setting sound ok? Everything else is at default.

View attachment 3112998
The colour space should be Rec2020/P3 (P3 in Rec2020), not "straight" DCI-P3. (However, it doesn't make a lot of difference if you're using external patterns.).
Also, some HDR patterns (like R.Masciola's patterns) are actually based on 8-bit equivalent, in which case you should not turn on the “10bit Target” option.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've just had another go at hdr calibration, again, not sure about the colours being very accurate with the tv not getting full p3 or bt2020, i got 2pt greyscale errors under 1.5 and im not sure if its correct but i lowered contrast down so that the luminance tracked as close to the line, again, with my tv i have been told that Samsung has the brightness slightly higher than the eotf reference. By lowering the contrast I'm hoping this has got it closer to reference.

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
HDR10 uses BT.2020 colour space, so calibration has to be done in BT.2020. As in the case of Rec709, what’s important is that TV tracks the saturation, up to the limit of its gamut which may be less than DCI-P3, and definitely less than BT.2020.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah i calibrated using the bt2020/p3, i will post the txt file later, if you could let me know if what i have is acceptable or a complete fail lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
I give up with hdr, far too complicated to do, 1 minute it seems to work the next it does not, very difficult to try and adjust 2 pt white point if when making adjustments HCFR does not show me any changes. So pushing the red pixel does not increase it, just stays at the same %.

Defeated 😔

·
Registered
651 Posts
I give up with hdr, far too complicated to do, 1 minute it seems to work the next it does not, very difficult to try and adjust 2 pt white point if when making adjustments HCFR does not show me any changes. So pushing the red pixel does not increase it, just stays at the same %.

Defeated 😔
Hi Mike, what patterns were you using to measure when adjusting the 2 point controls? Or were you doing a full grayscale measurement run after each adjustment to the settings and not seeing any change in HCFR?

--tom

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was using the hdr10 patterns to measure the 2 point, when adjusting one of the pts, i would read continuous and adjust to try get the rgb levels at 100%, sometimes it adjusts, sometimes it does not, i actually managed to do the 2 point adjustment and got errors of under 1.5 so i was happy with that, a few colours loiked off target, green and red especially, again, as before, when trying to adjust the cms, sometimes it reads the adjustments as i do them, other times nothing happens, i.e i could 8ncrease green to max yet it won't show any different on hcfr, even though the 2 point white balance is under 1.5, i still feel its off as the gain needed so much red and reduced green and blue. Its very difficult to know if what i am doing is correct or not. Sorry for all the questions. I wish i was more clued up on the hdr side of it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here is all my calibrations i have done:

Day & Night mode
Hdr movie mode
Sdr game and hdr game mode

The game modes and hdr mode were the most difficult. I think the day & night files will be ok but not so sure about the game and hdr files.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Here is all my calibrations i have done:

Day & Night mode
Hdr movie mode
Sdr game and hdr game mode

The game modes and hdr mode were the most difficult. I think the day & night files will be ok but not so sure about the game and hdr files.
Green is way oversaturated in the HDR calibration. Keep in mind you cannot stretch the gamut beyond the display's gamut limits; attempting to increase the saturation will only make things worse.

13821 - 13840 of 13897 Posts