AVS Forum banner

13861 - 13880 of 13897 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
😬 I spent two hours to recalibrate and fix the gamma... I will try again tonight. So I will hear the click of the filter right? Thank you Dominic you’re essential

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
😬 I spent two hours to recalibrate and fix the gamma... I will try again tonight. So I will hear the click of the filter right? Thank you Dominic you’re essential
It clicks when switching between Filter ON and Filter OFF, so there won’t be any clicks if you switch between BT.2020 and Rec709F.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I usually turn off the projector in natural so if I turn the unit on with natural then switching to rec709F I should hear the click, correct? Just because if not sure the filter is enabled I don’t want to perform another pointless calibration:). Thank you Dominic

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
I usually turn off the projector in natural so if I turn the unit on with natural then switching to rec709F I should hear the click, correct? Just because if not sure the filter is enabled I don’t want to perform another pointless calibration:). Thank you Dominic
You shouldn’t spend hours calibrating the gamma until you’re sure that the filter is in place. A 10-second RGB sweep will tell you right away whether the gamut is now wider with Rec709F, compared with Rec709 you were using previously.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Even with the filter enabled still struggling with green and red 😬. I think I give up! Although the picture looks very very good...:)

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don’t know how to get to a full saturation for red green and yellow 100%. It’s weird but I don’t know how to get there. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, I just got a Hisense Roku TV, which is similar to TCL. They have an Expert Image Settings in the app with 11 point white balance and custom color space. How can I use your software with my i1Dispay to determine those values?

·
Registered
92 Posts
After reading a fair few topics on forums, it seems like there is a lot of confusion as to which display type you should set hcfr for a quantum dot display. When i used the software i used non-refresh, a few say this is ok but others suggest different setting for more accurate calibration, someone went as far as to say its not possible to calibrate quantum dot display using xrite i1 display pro/pro plus and hcfr only. They said you need a spectroradiometer. Im not going to pretend i know what this is but can someone confirm if any of this is true? Feel like I've wasted my money getting this sensor, does anyone have the correct setting (or the best one) for a quantum dot display, specifically a Q90R in my case.

Many thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know what you've been reading, but a QLED is just an LCD screen with a slightly better LED backlight. I see no reason why an i1Display Pro wouldn't be able to measure it.
It's not some radically different display technology compared to just regular old LED backlit LCDs. It's more of a marketing term really.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't know what you've been reading, but a QLED is just an LCD screen with a slightly better LED backlight. I see no reason why an i1Display Pro wouldn't be able to measure it.
It's not some radically different display technology compared to just regular old LED backlit LCDs. It's more of a marketing term really.
Yeah i understand its lcd technology, never questioned that, but there is a fair few people who asked the correct display type to select, seems to be a lot of people saying different things. I think they mentioned a filter or something that quantum dot has. Regardless, no one specifically stated which was the correct display type to use, so refresh? non-refresh? lcd rgb-led? Lcd white led? Bg-r lcd? No one could say, just a lot of arguing back and forth. Would you know the correct type to choose?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yeah i understand its lcd technology, never questioned that, but there is a fair few people who asked the correct display type to select, seems to be a lot of people saying different things. I think they mentioned a filter or something that quantum dot has. Regardless, no one specifically stated which was the correct display type to use, so refresh? non-refresh? lcd rgb-led? Lcd white led? Bg-r lcd? No one could say, just a lot of arguing back and forth. Would you know the correct type to choose?
Hi Mike,

A "spectro" is just a more expensive tool that uses different "tech" to accomplish the same task as the colorimeters such as the i1Display Pros and are generally more accurate/consistent. Many use a spectro to create a conversion matrix for their less expensive colorimeters for a specific display - which they then use to actually takes measurements in their software (the software has to support the use/creation of such conversion/mapping matrices).

Quantum dot is just an additional layer between the LED backlight(s) and the LCD layer that according to Samsung allows for a wider color gamut. Other display makers also use it.

I would probably just stick with non-refresh display unless you're getting visibly "bad" results. I see in the other thread that someone shared a conversion matrix that they made on their Q90R using a spectro. That is worth a shot but keep in mind that every colorimeter is different and two of the same model can vary in measurements on the same exact display - it's just the nature of $150-$200 consumer technology - so one's matrix made with a different colorimeter even if the same model display may still be a crap shoot.

cheers,

--tom

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Mike,

A "spectro" is just a more expensive tool that uses different "tech" to accomplish the same task as the colorimeters such as the i1Display Pros and are generally more accurate/consistent. Many use a spectro to create a conversion matrix for their less expensive colorimeters for a specific display - which they then use to actually takes measurements in their software (the software has to support the use/creation of such conversion/mapping matrices).

Quantum dot is just an additional layer between the LED backlight(s) and the LCD layer that according to Samsung allows for a wider color gamut. Other display makers also use it.

I would probably just stick with non-refresh display unless you're getting visibly "bad" results. I see in the other thread that someone shared a conversion matrix that they made on their Q90R using a spectro. That is worth a shot but keep in mind that every colorimeter is different and two of the same model can vary in measurements on the same exact display - it's just the nature of $150-$200 consumer technology - so one's matrix made with a different colorimeter even if the same model display may still be a crap shoot.

cheers,

--tom
Thanks Tom, i am currently chatting to someone from the forum who has given me his conversion matrix to try, so with this conversion matrix inputted into hcfr, does that replace the section where i select a display type? Or do i still select a display type and then add the correction values?

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Thanks Tom, i am currently chatting to someone from the forum who has given me his conversion matrix to try, so with this conversion matrix inputted into hcfr, does that replace the section where i select a display type? Or do i still select a display type and then add the correction values?
If someone else has a spectro and an i1D3, ideally he should generate a spectral correction file instead of a correction matrix, as the latter is valid only for his specific i1D3. No harm trying the matrix, however.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If someone else has a spectro and an i1D3, ideally he should generate a spectral correction file instead of a correction matrix, as the latter is valid only for his specific i1D3. No harm trying the matrix, however.
I just asked the question on the forum and he asked of hcfr allows a 4 colour correction matrix, he then sent me some values to try. I will give it a go and see how it looks, the only calibration i think is a bit off is both hdr movie and hdr game mode, both using 2pt adjustments, the red gain seems way to high but looking at the graphs it looks good.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
so one's matrix made with a different colorimeter even if the same model display may still be a crap shoot
Absolutely true. FWIW, although I haven't done it with the more recent matrix that I shared, I did do a comparison of an earlier matrix with the Samsung 2019 4K QLED meter mode (EDR) that CalMAN has for the C6 HDR2000, which you can see there.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If someone else has a spectro and an i1D3, ideally he should generate a spectral correction file instead of a correction matrix, as the latter is valid only for his specific i1D3.
AFAIK can't be done with CalMAN Home, and AIUI HCFR/ArgyllCMS don't support the i1Pro 3.

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
When applying a correction matrix, you need to use the same display type that was used when the matrix was generated. Typically it would be the Non-Fresh (raw), but you should check with the person who created the matrix.

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
There are also selectable spaces for UHD DCI-P3/Rec 2020 P3 and UHDTV Rec2020/Rec709. When would those be used?
These are sub-spaces of Rec2020. The current displays all far short of the Rec2020 primaries, so you would calibrate a subset of it, i.e., the colours that your display can reproduce. Some would choose 50% Rec2020, but if your display can handle it, it’s better to calibrate to DCI-P3/Rec2020 (DCI-P3 gamut inside the Rec2020).

13861 - 13880 of 13897 Posts