AVS Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 13608 Posts

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1500#post_23003372

Sounds like you are running the install program over and over again. I have had none of the problems that you mention.

Hi, zoyd. Looks as though you have a new hobby. Thanks for all the hard work.

Larry

hey, no prob. Just doing stuff I find useful (I got tired of using a spreadsheet for the inside the gamut calibrations).

for configuration settings to stick make sure you have set privs to adminstrator in the executable properties.

·
Registered
881 Posts
That did the trick,thanks zoyd...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1500#post_23000920

yes, they are practically identical but the colormunki runs slower, I do not know if this is solely a firmware limitation or if the detector end of it is less sensitive.

The firmware seems to add a minimum delay of 1 second to each measurement. Mechanically, optically and electrically it looks the same, and it appears to be factory calibrated in the same way.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I noticed a very minor bug with the latest version over the weekend. If you set the option to "measure black & white" when measuring primaries using the "dvd generator", after you measure the primaries the dialog box asks you to "display white" twice instead of "display black" and then "display white".

·
Registered
137 Posts
zoyd, first off I too would like to thank you for all of your personal time & effort you have put into this.

I have a ColorMunki Display and would like some help making sure that I am using the correct settings in Fork HCFR when I perform my calibration on my Optoma HD8200 DLP projector.

Launch the ColorHCFR software

Select DVD manual (use the AVS HD 709 calibration disc, using window patterns for calibration)

Meter Name - select Xrite i1 DisplayPro, ColorMunki Display sensor

Display Type - refresh for DLP?

Reading Type - non-contact (meter pointed at screen on tripod) what's the recommended distance from screen?

Spectral Sample - ??? should this be left blank (none) or what do I select

Calibrate meter - is this req'd? If it is how is it to be done?

Adjust the sensor position to obtain the highest ftL reading

Advanced Menu/ Preferences - what tabs and settings should be modified; the CurtPalme Dummies guide settings are based on the older version of HCFR and the newer version with your fork has several new additions/ settings to be applied here.

No sense in performing a calibration if the initial software is set-up incorrectly.........

·
Registered
137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guida74  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1500#post_23011510

zoyd, first off I too would like to thank you for all of your personal time & effort you have put into this.

I have a ColorMunki Display and would like some help making sure that I am using the correct settings in Fork HCFR when I perform my calibration on my Optoma HD8200 DLP projector.

Select DVD manual (use the AVS HD 709 calibration disc, using window patterns for calibration)

Reading Type - non-contact (meter pointed at screen on tripod) what's the recommended distance from screen?

Advanced Menu/ Preferences - what tabs and settings should be modified; the CurtPalme Dummies guide settings are based on the older version of HCFR and the newer version with your fork has several new additions/ settings to be applied here.

No sense in performing a calibration if the initial software is set-up incorrectly.........

Anybody????

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by guida74  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1530#post_23014465

Quote:
Originally Posted by guida74  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1500#post_23011510

Anybody????

hello, I'm not an expert in projector calibration but to get started:

1. use refresh for DLP and when initializing the probe click the calibrate button while displaying a 100% white pattern

2. distance should be enough to get maybe a 20-30 degree angle to center of screen without viewing the probe shadow (1 meter?)

3. spectral sample unknown for DLP so use none to begin with

for the advanced settings use rec.709 color space, display gamma between 2.2-2.4, most of the settings still correspond to what's in the guide. good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks zoyd. When I click calibrate nothing appears to happen; no message saying calibrating....no confirmation window saying OK or done. Is this normal?

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by guida74  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1530#post_23017028

Thanks zoyd. When I click calibrate nothing appears to happen; no message saying calibrating....no confirmation window saying OK or done. Is this normal?

If you are using the colormunki in refresh mode it should say "Display a white pattern" and then you click it and it takes a few seconds at which point it will say something like device calibrated, return to normal measurement position.

·
Registered
881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1530#post_23017180

If you are using the colormunki in refresh mode it should say "Display a white pattern" and then you click it and it takes a few seconds at which point it will say something like device calibrated, return to normal measurement position.

I've tried this before on these settings (refresh mode) and calibrate would not work.

You mentioned before that maybe the colormunki does not require to calibrate due to being a bit slower than the i1D3.

I think gwill (argyll guy) can probably put some light on this,if the colormunki display requires calibration in refresh mode or not.If it does,the feature is not working in HCFR.

Edit: Also one thing I noticed with the new executable HCFR is the gamma Y values have changed a bit compared to the previous zip version I had.

With the previous zip version I would enter my 100ire Y value into the excel spec sheet and all the other 0-90 ire gamma Y values would match up evenly.

So then when I checked my CHC file in the new exe.version I notced the gamma Y values have change and no longer match up with the excel spread sheet no matter where I set my preference...ie...(display gamma,display with black comp. or BT1886)

·
Registered
137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1530#post_23017256

I've tried this before on these settings (refresh mode) and calibrate would not work.

You mentioned before that maybe the colormunki does not require to calibrate due to being a bit slower than the i1D3.

I think gwill (argyll guy) can probably put some light on this,if the colormunki display requires calibration in refresh mode or not.If it does,the feature is not working in HCFR.

Peter Lewis is correct, I too remember reading somewhere that the colormunki display does not require calibration due to being slower than the i1D3.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,537

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1530#post_23017256

Edit: Also one thing I noticed with the new executable HCFR is the gamma Y values have changed a bit compared to the previous zip version I had.

With the previous zip version I would enter my 100ire Y value into the excel spec sheet and all the other 0-90 ire gamma Y values would match up evenly.

So then when I checked my CHC file in the new exe.version I notced the gamma Y values have change and no longer match up with the excel spread sheet no matter where I set my preference...ie...(display gamma,display with black comp. or BT1886)
Quote:
-removed the unused option "Use measured colors" for saturation reference and replaced with toggle for calculating actual stimulus percent based on a round down (AVSHD,DVE) or round normal (GCD, internal pattern) assumption. The previous behavior was to use whole number percents which generates (very small) errors.

HCFR now calculates gamma Y based on the selection of this switch rather than assuming whole number percents as it did previously. This will slightly change gamma Y targets compared to previous versions. Leave the switch unchecked if you are using the GCD disk or internal patterns (or if you just don't know the pattern source exact levels) and check the switch if you are using AVSHD or DVE patterns.

you guys are right, colormunki sync(calibration) in refresh mode is not needed because of the slower read times.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Zoyd,the Gama Y still does not match up regardless if you check off avshd or dve....

This is how my gamma Y looked before with the zip version and now with the exe version (...)

Grey window target 2.22

0% - -0.00

10% - 0.699 (0.706)

20% - 3.26 (3.281}

30% - 8.01 (7.737)

40% - 15.17 (14.538)

50% - 24.90 (23.944)

60% - 37.33 (35.561)

70% - 52.56 (50.693)

80% - 70.70 (69.036)

90% - 91.82 (90.759)

100% - 116.022

With previous zip version my chc file matched up gamma Y perfectly inner numbers....With new exe version, regardless if i check avs/dve or change my preference thats what my gamma Y is showing now in (....).

Thanks Zoyd for all your research and exhaustive efforts..I appreciate everything you have done for us.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,539
already explained, zip version was wrong, new version in parenthesis is right. If the old version matched some spreadsheet you were using then the spreadsheet is wrong too.

·
Registered
881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1530#post_23018230

already explained, zip version was wrong, new version in parenthesis is right. If the old version matched some spreadsheet you were using then the spreadsheet is wrong too.

Thanks for the clarification...I was using the HCFR excel spreadsheet that someone created awhile back.I got the GCD spreadsheet now and looking at it,it seems to be more in line with what you are saying...Thanks.

1521 - 1540 of 13608 Posts