AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 13608 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/21706610

Thanks. I just ordered this today. Should have it in hand tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to the code release.

just wondering why you bought the i1 display pro instead of the colomunki display?

from what's being said here, the colormunki display is a spectrometer and should be a better choice?

just curious.

thanks

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/21706622

just wondering why you bought the i1 display pro instead of the colomunki display?

from what's being said here, the colormunki display is a spectrometer and should be a better choice?

just curious.

thanks

The colormunki is not a spectrometer. It's essentially identical to the Display 3. The main difference is speed of measurements, especially dark readings. I have no idea just how much slower (I'm not putting too much faith in the 1 reviewer who said it took only 2x longer than the Display 3), so I figured I'd spring for the extra cash. Yes, I'm probably throwing money into the wind...

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascl /forum/post/21707390

No not really... I find it confusing too. There are two products:

http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=1115

and

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1513

which are very different (photo/design is spectro, display is not).

I doubt the ColorMunki Photo will compare with the Display3 in low light reading ability. For publishing work, where you need to calibrate your monitor and printer both, the ColorMunki Photo is a great product. For display calibration, I'm pretty sure the Display3 or ColorMunki Display will best it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit /forum/post/21706379

I bought my OEM version from Tom with Chromapure and it works perfectly with argyll. So I propose dropping the reference to Calman and just say 'OEM' to cover both.

Thanks for that, you're probably right i1Display3 OEM is likely correct, I'm just worried about making unconfirmred claims of support.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/21708025

Hi John, any update on a 'test ready' release?

There's a few signing wrinkles with the driver and a couple of bugs to sort out but nothing major, probably be ready Thursday/Friday.

John

·
Registered
3,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21708124

There's a few signing wrinkles with the driver and a couple of bugs to sort out but nothing major, probably be ready Thursday/Friday.

John

That's great. Looking forward to it.

Can we still use the existing guide to perform calibration with the updated HCFR program? Or will there be a need for a new guide?

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz /forum/post/21708304

Can we still use the existing guide to perform calibration with the updated HCFR program? Or will there be a need for a new guide?

Anything related to setting up the meter will change but the rest of it should be fine.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
OK the first version with the new meter code is now here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr...p.exe/download

With most meters you'll need to install the supplied drivers instead of the supplied ones to make it work, with the i1display 3 then it may work with the x-rite driver as these use a slightly different method. Probably best to try with the meter's own drivers before installing the supplied drivers but first stop any tasks that might have the drivers open.

The meter name to select after choosing the generator is Argyll, the name of the detected meter is then displayed in the main window.

After you pick the meter it will go to the config page on which you have the choice of CRT/LCD and contact/projector, not all meters care about all these settings, the i1 needs the CRT/LCD and the colormunki photo needs the contact/projector one.

After setting the meter settings press enter and it will try and calibrate the meter if required.

The rest of the instructions around for hcfr should then work fine.

The way the meters are detected and selected is far from ideal so will probably change quite soon, this is just quick and dirty to see what works and what doesn't.

Let us know how you get on...

John

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21721004

OK the first version with the new meter code is now here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr...p.exe/download

With most meters you'll need to install the supplied drivers instead of the supplied ones to make it work, with the i1display 3 then it may work with the x-rite driver as these use a slightly different method. Probably best to try with the meter's own drivers before installing the supplied drivers.

The meter name to select after choosing the generator is Argyll, the name of the detected meter is then displayed in the main window.

After you pick the meter it will go to the config page on which you have the choice of CRT/LCD and contact/projector, not all meters care about all these settings, the i1 needs the CRT/LCD and the colormunki photo needs the contact/projector one.

After setting the meter settings press enter and it will try and calibrate the meter if required.

The rest of the instructions around for hcfr should then work fine.

The way the meters are detected and selected is far from ideal so will probably change quite soon, this is just quick and dirty to see what works and what doesn't.

Let us know how you get on...

John

Thanks, John. I'm a little confused. Are you saying that for the Display 3, regardless of display type, I should select CRT/LCD? The television I plan to test this on is a plasma...

Also, do you know what directory I need to drop the driver into? Is it the same as previous versions of HCFR?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
No i'm saying that for the i1d3 the only 2 modes available at the moment are lcd and crt.

There is no need to copy files into the directory with the new driver code, for some meters you will have to replace your existing drivers with the supplied ones but no further installation or copying is required. The new code doesn't use any vendor supplied dlls at all.

John

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21721115

No i'm saying that for the i1d3 the only 2 modes available at the moment are lcd and crt.

There is no need to copy files into the directory with the new driver code, for some meters you will have to replace your existing drivers with the supplied ones but no further installation or copying is required. The new code doesn't use any vendor supplied dlls at all.

John

Can the two versions of HCFR be on the same machine at the same time? Or do I need to install to another laptop?

·
Registered
499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/21721302

Can the two versions of HCFR be on the same machine at the same time? Or do I need to install to another laptop?

appears they can coexist. i just installed the new version on a laptop that already had the old version on it. granted, i just did it five minutes ago, so i can't say for sure that they'll both work. but i can vouch that the new one installs and they both start up fine.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
Firstly... Thank You to John for the work, this is fantastic!

Secondly... I am assuming this does not remove any of the meters that worked with previous HCFR releases (sorry if this has already been stated, I did not see it)?

Thanks again John!

Jason

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/0

They can sit side by side, they installin on different directories by default. For some meters you'll have to swap meter drivers though.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/0

Firstly... Thank You to John for the work, this is fantastic!

Secondly... I am assuming this does not remove any of the meters that worked with previous HCFR releases (sorry if this has already been stated, I did not see it)?

Thanks again John!

Jason

I've had to remove support for the method used to access the i1 and spyder meter's previuosly as they used non-free code that I do not have rights to distribute, all the meters that were supported are supported by the new access method though.

John

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAd /forum/post/21721115

Hi John,

I didn't have much time to play with this tonight so my testing was certainly incomplete. When trying to use the Display 3 with your release of HCFR, the readings were very erratic. The color bars ping-ponged between 93% and 114%. It made taking a decent measurement and adjusting settings nearly impossible. I wonder if this is due to the lack of plasma mode for the Display 3. I tried both LCD and CRT for my display type, but it didn't help matters.

In the previous version of HCFR, using my Display 2, readings are quite stable. I did not have a chance to try the Display 2 in your release. I also didn't have the chance to try the Display 2 in the previous version to see how it behaved when I selected LCD or CRT as the display type. I'll test both of these over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale /forum/post/0

Hi John,

When trying to use the Display 3 with your release of HCFR, the readings were very erratic. The color bars ping-ponged between 93% and 114%. It made taking a decent measurement and adjusting settings nearly impossible.

Thanks very much for testing, good that it finds and connects to the meter at least.

Did you have to install any drivers or did it work with the x-rite ones?

The lack of stability is certainly odd but extreme enough that there is probably a simple enough explaination, I'll check that I haven't missed any important settings calling the api.

Can I also ask you to get hold of the argyllcms code and confirm that the spotread command line program gives stable results, if that's stable then it should be a fairly simple fix. If not then it may take a bit longer.

Also can you post the chc file with your measurements just so that i can see the results you got.

Thanks again

John

141 - 160 of 13608 Posts