AVS Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 13640 Posts

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondavid  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1650#post_23120187

Zoyd thank you very much! in a while I get to calibrate again, with this new version and your suggestion to set my probe.

The box detect user measueres During primary colors, I leave off?

And I leave latency time of 100 ms?

In gamma, gamma display left or left with black display gamma compensation?

By default gamma is 2.22, this is better than 2.0?

To day, I set gamma to 2.0 and for night, 2.4, but for there to day, 2.22 would be better?

Thank you very much for everything

Detect primary colors = on. This allows you to run continuous measures and view the results in real-time in the primaries and seconds window to fine tune.

Latency time is only for the view images generator so for DVD player it doesn't matter.

gamma target should be BT.1886 for your display because black level is not that good.

keep BT.1886 for both daytime and nighttime viewing but change contrast, maybe 40-45 ftL day and

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1650#post_23120238

Detect primary colors = on. This allows you to run continuous measures and view the results in real-time in the primaries and seconds window to fine tune.

Latency time is only for the view images generator so for DVD player it doesn't matter.

gamma target should be BT.1886 for your display because black level is not that good.

keep BT.1886 for both daytime and nighttime viewing but change contrast, maybe 40-45 ftL day and
thank you very much!

Then I'll make BT. 1886! you really think that black is not very good in the series of Samsung ES7000 and 8000?

40-45 for day

30-35 for night

Perfect.

The objective of BT gamma. 1886, is 2.22? So, let 2.22 for day and night, with BT. 1886?

Sorry if my questions are silly!

But hey, I'm a beginner with the calibration, but I like to learn every day! I've learned quite a lot and leei in these last weeks, but I always say, every day, you learn something.

Thank you very much, because I have more clear and now I hope to get calibrate the ICN, which is what I can not get the last 4 days! Because then, with the gray scale going well.

Gamma, I have it there.

But the hardest thing for me is the CIE because of my tele samsung cms and not respond well and I want to adjust the values ​​of 709!

About the ftl, I lower the backlight, correct? contrast, try to set a pattern, but for the CTF, low backlight, Perhaps I am wrong, I do not know.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,663
I read your display has somewhere between 0.05 - 0.07 cd/m^2 black which is not too bad but BT.1886 would still be best for you if you have a 10 pt. control. If so, match your Y measurements to the Gamma Y values in the gray scale page. If you don't have a 10 pt. then select display gamma, gamma = 2.2 and pick the best gamma preset to match that.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1650#post_23120438

I read your display has somewhere between 0.05 - 0.07 cd/m^2 black which is not too bad but BT.1886 would still be best for you if you have a 10 pt. control. If so, match your Y measurements to the Gamma Y values in the gray scale page. If you don't have a 10 pt. then select display gamma, gamma = 2.2 and pick the best gamma preset to match that.
thanks, if my tv has thankfully 10p! then I use with gamma to 2.22? for ftl, should lower the contrast backlight to touch as little as possible for ftl? Thanks for everything

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondavid  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1650#post_23121026

thanks, if my tv has thankfully 10p! then I use with gamma to 2.22? for ftl, should lower the contrast backlight to touch as little as possible for ftl? Thanks for everything
Hi, this should answer a lot of your questions: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

For setting contrast and backlight the method I use is to put up white on the screen and enter live measurement mode. Start increasing contrast while looking at the R, G, and B measurements in the box at the bottom left. Once one of R, G, or B stops increasing when you increase contrast you are clipping. Go back 1 step on contrast and you are done. Next step is to set backlight to get your target ftL. There is no right answer on this, dark room 30ftl, medium bright 40-60ftl, sunlight 60+.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondavid  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1650#post_23121026

Use bt.1886 and match the points using your 10pt system as zoyd said.

I would set brightness and contrast, then set the backlight to reach your desired brightness. If you're using the AVSHD709 disc, set the contrast so that at least 235 and below are flashing.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1650#post_23121865

Use bt.1886 and match the points using your 10pt system as zoyd said.

I would set brightness and contrast, then set the backlight to reach your desired brightness. If you're using the AVSHD709 disc, set the contrast so that at least 235 and below are flashing.
thank you! I use bt.1886 as Zoyd said! but the value of gamma in HCFR I leave in 2.22 default one? a gamma curve is better than a flat? Zoyd said if a thread of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1650#post_23121100

Hi, this should answer a lot of your questions: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

For setting contrast and backlight the method I use is to put up white on the screen and enter live measurement mode. Start increasing contrast while looking at the R, G, and B measurements in the box at the bottom left. Once one of R, G, or B stops increasing when you increase contrast you are clipping. Go back 1 step on contrast and you are done. Next step is to set backlight to get your target ftL. There is no right answer on this, dark room 30ftl, medium bright 40-60ftl, sunlight 60+.
thank you! if that is the guide I use, is very good! in HCFR, I leave the default gamma in 2.22? bt.1886 what I have already marked for all! of day and night, I can have the gamma in 2.22?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I was calibrating my buddies HTPC over the weekend using the HCFR pattern generator and noticed the free measures 100% white and the grayscale measures 100% white are at different levels. The generator settings are set to video 16 to 235. The free measures outputs a far lower level at 100% white than the grayscale measures. This made setting the contrast level impossible with free measures.

This was observed using the latest HCFR release, and Windows 7 64bit OS.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1650#post_23123067

I was calibrating my buddies HTPC over the weekend using the HCFR pattern generator and noticed the free measures 100% white and the grayscale measures 100% white are at different levels. The generator settings are set to video 16 to 235. The free measures outputs 255 at 100% white. This made setting the contrast level impossible with free measures.

This was observed using the latest HCFR release, and Windows 7 64bit OS.
Pretty sure that's intended behavior. You are better of running free measures off of a set of patterns like the GCD set - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406352/gcd-gamut-calibration-disk

or the AVS 709 set - http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

The extra benefit of calibrating off those patterns is they are presumably going through the same video pipeline that you will be running content through, so you eliminate a potential source of mismatch/inaccuracy.

·
Registered
911 Posts
This gamma setting of bt.1186?

If I do not see this anywhere when I do a new calibration, then I just use with Black compensation?

I have the colormunki dispay meter and use the LED white Samsung setting also. I have done my calibrations using gamma with black comp and gamma target of 2.25

Is there something else I should be using?

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,672
BT.1886 is a selectable target in the advanced references tab. display gamma + black compensation will give you a simple approximation to BT.1886, I supposed you could try both and see how different the settings are in each case but BT.1886 is preferable since it is an actual standard.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondavid  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1650#post_23122005

thank you! if that is the guide I use, is very good! in HCFR, I leave the default gamma in 2.22? bt.1886 what I have already marked for all! of day and night, I can have the gamma in 2.22?

Hi Leondavid, I'm the same guy from spanish forum forodvd. Glad to see you here.

Be aware that BT 1886 doesn't have a target gamma. Instead it calculates each Y value for each IRE% related to max. Y in 100% IRE in order to avoid black crushing on low IRE. You should reach the desired Y indicated in HCFR (row Gamma Y) for each %IRE. You can reach the same result and learn about it in GCD Thread.

Therefore the resulting gamma will not be linear but an ascending curve from low IRE to high IRE.

Hope it helps,

alamagar.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I do not get the option for bt.1886 on mine in the reference tab. I only have display gamma, black comp, camera standard, camera manual and optimized. I do not have an option to click bt.1886 with mine. I just used the black comp last time I did a cal run.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,675

Quote:
Originally Posted by eghill1125  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1650#post_23123338

I do not get the option for bt.1886 on mine in the reference tab. I only have display gamma, black comp, camera standard, camera manual and optimized. I do not have an option to click bt.1886 with mine. I just used the black comp last time I did a cal run.

download latest version linked in my sig

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thank you Zoyd..

Did not even realize I didn't have the most up to date version.

One more quick thing on the new version. Use REC709 75% now instead of just REC709?

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamagar  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1650#post_23123297

Hi Leondavid, I'm the same guy from spanish forum forodvd. Glad to see you here.

Be aware that BT 1886 doesn't have a target gamma. Instead it calculates each Y value for each IRE% related to max. Y in 100% IRE in order to avoid black crushing on low IRE. You should reach the desired Y indicated in HCFR (row Gamma Y) for each %IRE. You can reach the same result and learn about it in GCD Thread.

Therefore the resulting gamma will not be linear but an ascending curve from low IRE to high IRE.

Hope it helps,

alamagar.
Hello friend, haha​​, nice to see you over here too!

Select bt 1886

After the gamma not give importance to this seteado true value? default boot is 2.22! ok

I to calculate each ire, his gammaY illuminance, illuminance birth ire on 100 right? ok, until then, I understood.

Now, as the illuminance calculation for each ire, starting from 10 to 90, because 100 is the only input that!

So, what is the account you should do? and where they would have to play for the luminance change from 10p for example?

thanks

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
This question was answered a while back, but it din't seem like they were too sure of the answer, so I'm trying to get clarification.

For profiling a DLP Front Projector (BenQ W1070), should I select refresh or non refresh type?

I've profiled plasmas before using HCFR, but this is my first projector, so not sure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed/1650#post_23120438

Zoyd hello, do not quite understand the gamma! on my TV, this gamma in 2.2

I'm about to begin calibrating the grayscale! I did a reading and being in bt 1886 HCFR tells me that the gamma is 2.4 refencia! ok, set white balance 2pt!

Now, as I set the gamma and, using 10p, by face ire?? I do not understand how to measure and calculate each gamma ire and? as serious math to account for every ire? and as the gamma value and in 100?

sorry, but I am stuck and do not understand, do not understand how to obtain a gamma curve!

That value would have to start at 10 IRE? IRE 10 would have to end at 2.4 gamma?

thanks Zoyd

1661 - 1680 of 13640 Posts