AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get readings from my DIY HCFR probe. The probe worked in the past on two PC machines. Now it won't work on either.

Under WINXP device manager the probe comes up as a COM device (both PC's). I had always thought it was a USB device.

Under sensor config if I hit the Version button it comes up V5.1. so I assume there is some communication happening.

On the HCFR web site there is an option to update the probes firmware from the HCFR software.

"The update can be done in the colorHCFR software using the "HCFR sensor updater" tool, in the "tools" menu."

But I can't find the tools menu anywhere in any HCFR software version I have.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFryia /forum/post/17045537

I can't get readings from my DIY HCFR probe. The probe worked in the past on two PC machines. Now it won't work on either.

Under WINXP device manager the probe comes up as a COM device (both PC's). I had always thought it was a USB device.

Under sensor config if I hit the Version button it comes up V5.1. so I assume there is some communication happening.

On the HCFR web site there is an option to update the probes firmware from the HCFR software.

"The update can be done in the colorHCFR software using the "HCFR sensor updater" tool, in the "tools" menu."

But I can't find the tools menu anywhere in any HCFR software version I have.

Any help is appreciated.

At the bottom of the page in this link, you can find two files which I believe are the firmware V5.3... but I don't speak French... the page clealry says you can reflash the new firmware via usb, but I'm not sure how... I've been meaning to flash mine for some time, but i guess it wasn't just me being lazy after all.... not speaking french, I think one of these files is for a single sensor version and the other is for the dual sensor version...

What version of HCFR are you running? I don't think you need the new firmware unless you've updated ot HCFR V2.1...

you may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the from device manager, but of course, that could make it worse...
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorimetre/sonde3.php

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a Babel Fish translation and it translated that you can't USB flash the firmware.

"(This firmware cannot be downloaded via port USB and the procedure given in the software, it is only intended for those which have a programmer of PEAK)"

I have the dual sensor unit. Because the probe has partial communication with my PC I thought maybe the firmware code got corrupted some how and flashing it might fix it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Interesting... I guess I'll have to bring mine to the buddy that did it originally...

As for you, questions still unanswered, what version of HCFR?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was running V2.0.1 on the two PC's

I uninstalled and loaded 1.2.2 and get the same result. I have available versions V1.2.2, V1.2.2f, V2.0.0, V2.0.1, and V2.1.0

Is there possibly something in a registry setting that could mess up communications? If I plug in my Spyder II it shows up as a USB device and works with V2.0.1 and V1.2.2

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Sorry... I dunno... if I have time tonite I'll see how mine comes up... if it comes up... since I upgraded the software but not the firmware it might not work any more...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah!

figured it out

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No! embarrassing

FWIW the DIY Probe and software work fine. The probe and shows up as a COM device on two of my XP machines and as a USB on another. In HCFR The probe is configured USB on all three machnes and works on all three.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.