AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my new HCN529W was delivered by CC. So far I am happy with the operation and setup of the set. But I am having a problem with DVDs. I have a NON progressive scan Sony DVD player with component out and what I am seeing is kinda hard to describe. It looks like a channel with low bandwidth from Directv. Maybe Compression errors is the right term. I dont know. This set does not have 3:2 pull-down. Does anybody here understand what I'm trying to get across? The main reason I bought a wide-screen is for DVDs so if I can't get it to look right it's going back. Let me thank you in advance for your help.

Henry V

·
Registered
172 Posts
I new to wide screen too, but I had the same setup until just a few days ago. Once I switched my DVD player over to component and Progressive scan the picture qualuity and improved 100 %

Give more details if you can. I was about to ship my mine back until I figured it all out. I actually am exchanging it for other reasons.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I new to wide screen too, but I had the same setup until just a few days ago. Once I switched my DVD player over to component and Progressive scan the picture qualuity and improved 100 %

Give more details if you can. I was about to ship my mine back until I figured it all out. I actually am exchanging it for other reasons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know... like an idiot I gave the wrong model #. It is the HCN529W... the 52 inch version. As for more information, its like a poor mpeg. You can see that the only things that change in a frame are the moving objects and its quite plain to see digital artifacts and stuttering. Hope that helps. (I saw that posts can be fixed so i corrected the model # in the first post)

·
Registered
172 Posts
With regular digital cable and composite connection on the DVD player, the PQ will never look great. HDTV and Progressive scan DVD will improve the PQ drematically. I'm not an expert, but I am now happy with the PQ of my DLP, there are other things wrong, but I have a bad set and need to exchange it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been thinking since yesterday for a term to describe what I'm seeing. It looks foggy, or slightly snowy. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is this with standard cable? and with non progressivescan DVD player?

If so, I bet that is why the picture looks the way it does.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is with Directv Ultimate TV reciever hooked up with S-Video and a non-porgressive Sony DVD player. It is hooked up with component video cables. HD from OTA does look better, but I have no idea if a Directv satallite reciever would look better. I'm going to see what is in Sunday's ads for Progressive Scan DVD player. Any model #'s I should look for?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have no clue what dvd player to look for. I guess it depends on your budget. I bought a JVC because it played DVD-Audio it has progressive scan and component out. If I were in the market, I would get one that held 5 or 6 discs played SACD, DVD-A and has a DVI output, but I have no clue if such a player exists and if they did I am sure it would be big $$$.

I just swapped out my defective 50 Samsung DLP TV for a new 46 inch. The 46 has a better picture due to some updates in the past year or so. It still is not very good with standard cable, but if I use s-vid for standard cable it looks a little better.

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hopefully, your luck with that Sammy is better than mine was....CC is coming Monday morning to exchange it for a Hitachi 51S500...

Regardless, I have done an insane amount of research on this set and ways to maximize image quality....

Here are my suggestions:

1) Never use the Auto-Focus for convergence...Do it manually...red first...then blue...start in the middle....work outwards...and then double-check the middle again...(let the set run for 30min before you do this )

Note: the convergence will drift for a bit less than a month as the set breaks-in

2) Purchase a good calibration DVD like Digial Video Essentials ( try looking aat Suncoast in the mall ). They won't work wonders, but it will help overall...

3) Be daring and take the casing off the set.....you can adjust the lenses (via wingnuts) which will make a big difference (mine were way off out of box ) Here is a good tutorial: http://www.fixyourowntv.com/focusproj.html

4) Be sure to be watching DVD's in widescreen....and 4:3 (non-HDTV) channels using "Panorama" mode for aspect.

5) Look into getting a solid HDTV receiver for your DirecTV...Many have the ability to upconvert signals to help increase the image quality...

6) In terms of getting a new DVD player ( prog-scan ), you would do well to look at the Samsung HD-931. This player uses a premium DVI connection (which your TV support) and will upconvert DVD's from 480p to 720/1080 making them look even better...

6) Buy the HCN529W service manual somewhere...good starting point is this page: http://www.fixyourowntv.com/menusamsung.html

At the end of the day, I was still not happy with the picture with DirecTV, HDTV, DVD's, etc.....so I ran out of options and decided to get the Hitachi...

Best of luck with your set...hopefully, this helps...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cold_in_NH
... At the end of the day, I was still not happy with the picture with DirecTV, HDTV, DVD's, etc.....so I ran out of options and decided to get the Hitachi...
What particular aspects of the PQ were you unhappy with?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You name it...the set failed to impress me...

Initially, I had Comcast Digital Cable and a Progressive-Scan DVD player (with prog. scan enabled). Although the set was still "breaking-in", the image was terrible (even the wife was disgusted!). After manually adjusting the set to the best of my abilities, we decided to opt for DirecTV in hopes that the supposedly better picture quality would make the difference...

With an RCA DTV receiver and DirecTV installed, the picture still lacked crispness and "pop". To benchmark the image, the 6yr old 32" it replaced easily had better iamge quality.

Wondering if it was merely the compression of the 4:3 signals to fit the TV ( yes, I did try all the aspect ratios ), I ran through a set of DVD's including LOTR, Swordfish, and Sum of All Fears...In each case, the image looked flat and no better than it did on the older set.

The DVD is connected to the set with Monster: Series 2 component cables...

Thinking some magic could come out of an additional upgrade, I bought a Samsung HD receiver (TS160) that upconverts signals to improve IQ. Unfortunately, no noticeable difference...

Finally, I broke down and decided to get the full HDTV package and see how the best signals you can get would look on this tv. Unfortunately, even these channels (Discovery included ) failed to even remotely impress anyone. I have seen these HDTV channels on other sets at other home theaters and was always amazed by the Discovery channel in particular. No such luck here...

A CC tech came out....fiddled with the standard user controls on the remote (which I had modified several times already myself ) and declared the TV to be "just fine". :rolleyes:

In a final effort to fix things myself, I followed a tip and adjusted the lenses (via wingnuts) to ensure that each color was properly focused. Still, no major improvement...

In the end, I ruled out everything other than the TV itself...Spend a few extra bucks and got a healthy upgrade to the Hitachi...If I'm not happy with the 51S500, I know I need my head checked...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It sounds like you gave it a fair enough chance. I would think that you should have gotten a good image with the HDTV and DVD sources even without tweaking through the SM adjustments. I assume you were sure the STB was configured and connected correctly. I wouldn't trust the CC tech off-hand but they must have at least some idea of how the set should look. Didn't you see a good picture on this model before you purchased it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would love to get a Directv box for HDTV, but we have the Ultimate TV box which is Microsofts verson of Tivo. I cant justify another box or monthly payment and the wife WILLNOT lose the Tivo part. Cant really blame her. I think I'm going to CC today to look for a cheap prog-scan player just to see the difference. If I like it, I can return that one and look for a better on. We also already have a Sony 5disc DVD player so I have to prove to the wife we need another DVD player. Damn women (just kidding). Also I will not take the case off. I just dont have the experience with TV's to warrent that chance. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.