AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Experiencing the following problems - taking video for approximately 1 hour continuous - file size use to reach about 2 gigabytes - more recently the files have been hitting 4 gigabytes for just 20 minutes or so. I did inadvertently format the 16 gig SD cards using my Win7 PC. However I reformatted them using the camera format-er. But files still getting exceptionally large. First question is did I destroy the SD cards by formatting them in Win7? What file size would you expect to see for 1 hour of video? Is there a switch in the camera that I set wrong causing the larger file size? Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
At the highest quality in camera setting of a AVCHD 2.0 camera a 16GB card will hold about 80 minutes of video. So, if your camera is set to do its best quality, 4GB for 20 minutes is about right. At the lowest quality, a 16GB card will hold about 400 minutes. So based on 60 minutes = 2 GB, you had it on a low quality setting. If you were using the highest quality setting you would use about 12GB of your card for a 1 hour video. But, it gets more complicated. Your camera will likely make multiple 4GB files at higher settings and you will have to combine them in an editor. If you need a single file, go back to the lowest setting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts