AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just set up new HD 200 to replace HD100 and wanted to let all know how much I think it has improved. The Guide is at least 100% better. The guide is 4 times as fast and works much better with several ways to limit what you dont want to see. The OTA reception is much better with a 100% lock on all stations thus far. This is the area where I had trouble with the 100. The 200 has a very hot front end on the receiver and picked up stations I did not know were there. 4 more than the 100 could find.

The Picture quality seems to be a little better but I had no complaint with PQ of the 100 unit. All in all I have no complaints with the 200 and it is doing an outstanding job for me with my Sony 40" tube set. Only question I have is how do you keep Direct TV from putting back the promotion channels after you have hidden them from the scan.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
van fair..

On my MIT STB you can set up 4 'favorites' list..putting the channels you want to view in the list. Is there something like this on Sony 200?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
magic 123

Even better, You can set up 50 favorites in one group. then view only them in the guide or set up another catagory that includes only the channels you dont want hidden which will also include the favorites. or you can select to use the guide for all channels received. Also other catagories for sports only, movies only, etc. Guide can be used for up to 3 days in advance and you can select to have any pgm auto show at the selected time.

Van

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have both units. I, too, appreciate changes in the 200 but am frustrated by the lack of remote rf and the insensitivityof the ir receptor. I also wish they had included their link input so that I could use a Sony television to input ir. I know there are work-arounds for poor ir reception but why should these be necessary on a rather pricey new piece? Art

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by van fair
magic 123

Even better, You can set up 50 favorites in one group. then view only them in the guide or set up another catagory that includes only the channels you dont want hidden which will also include the favorites. or you can select to use the guide for all channels received. Also other catagories for sports only, movies only, etc. Guide can be used for up to 3 days in advance and you can select to have any pgm auto show at the selected time.

Van
I don't believe this is better than the Hughes E-86. Sounds about the same actually.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought the HD200 today and it's going back tomorrow... :( I never even hooked it up. It has no VCR control! :confused: Guess I'll look into the Samsung ...160 STB. My TV requires the 15 pin RGB, so choices are limited.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To all

I have no trouble with the remote. Tried the 200 remote with my 100 and it worked fine, same as 100 remote so assumed 200 remote OK. Same results with the 200 remote on the 200. Sensitivity is the same as the 100. I dont even have to point it at the box. anything within 20 degrees works ok and range is good to about 30 feet. Expected problems in this area based on forum but got none. Maybe your remote is defective. Battery?

I am aware that 200 is same as zenith. Dont use VCR so lack of VCR control? is not an issue with me. After 4 days of operation unit is still 100% A OK for me.

My even better comment on the guide assumed that your MIT four favorites was same as old 100 that is 4 X 8 or 32. Have not seen MIT STB so my comparison as even better could well be in error.

·
Registered
411 Posts
jes,

No vcr control? With the investment you would have in a HDTV system it would seem an upgrade to digital recording might be in order especially if you are interested in HDTV hardware as this forum is described. I loved my S-VHS recorder/VCR but technology has certainly improved available options.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iceman143
jes,

No vcr control? With the investment you would have in a HDTV system it would seem an upgrade to digital recording might be in order especially if you are interested in HDTV hardware as this forum is described. I loved my S-VHS recorder/VCR but technology has certainly improved available options.
you've obviously missed the point... change the complaint to no recorder control, i.e. no IR blaster or the ability to schedule a recording event.

That added to the inability to output SD & HD signals simultaneously... IMHO Sony has missed the boat on the HD200. Maybe they should have designed the unit instead of repackaging the Zenith? :eek:

I'll be waiting to see if the RCA DTC200 turns out as described in the press release...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess my problem is that i am retired and can watch what i want to see any time I want to, so the need to record and view later is not required. Very rarely is anything worth viewing more than once. I have HDTV because of picture quality and for no other reason. Seems like a good enough reason for me. For that purpose the 200 seems to be doing quite a good job. I am not defending the 200 against any perceived objections. Only reporting my experience with it which seems to be better than some others.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Van, a couple questions? I have the unit and agree the image's great. Using a widescreen? what input? I'm using the rgb connection b/c it's much better than the component. but when i'm forced to view a 4x3 image, it isn't centered and was wondering about your setup. I'm thinking it's just an unfortunate side effect of the tuner and my pioneer set w. regard to the input.

Anyway, great to hear another impressed sony customer!

Chris

·
Registered
411 Posts
jes,

I understood your complaint. It would seem you wouldn't have purchased the Sony Hd 200 if you needed the recorder control. Most digital recording devices have their own control however the Hd200 doesn't have separate outputs for that purpose. I agree the ability to simultaneously provide both SD and HD outputs would have been useful for many.

Some have complained about the remote having reduced IR reception/ transmission issues. I found while using my Pronto I've not had a problem.

My biggest complaint is the manner in which one must delete a channel once it has been scanned and added to the guide. Overall though I'm very pleased with it's performance especially it's OTA reception and PQ.

Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information on this forum to assist you before your purchases in the future. It has certainly saved me time and money with pre-purchase research. I only wish I had found it years earlier.

Before you buy the Samsung I believe it has some recording issues or inconveniences regarding the timer. The RCA may be the one for your application.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HI Chris

I am using a 40" tube Sony 4 X 3 so my situation is much different from yours. I use the Component inputs as my TV does not have the more advanced inputs. With the new 40" tube I think I get almost as good a picture as the plasma screens I have seen including a trip to Tokyo's electronic district. (my opinion)

Sony treated me fine and bought back my 100 which failed to perform properly on OTA but otherwise was very good. I have no complaints with Sony. It took a while but patience is required. I was pleased to find the 200 is much better than the 100 in many respects, including a solution to the OTA problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.