AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I don't remember this magazine being so useless as it has come to be. The current issue has a review of the HD-100 that makes no mention of any problem with the unit. Granted that recent patches may have dealt with some of the shortcomings of the STB but these were not implimented when the article was prepared for publication. It is like 60 Minutes dealing with some issue that you actually know about: It makes you distrustful of anything that they say. In this case you could have aquired more information by reading an add in the same publication. Art

·
Registered
49 Posts
Art,

Heres another one for you...The May/June issue of E-Gear reviews the Hughes HIRD-E86. Most of the 'review' deals with hookup, dish pointing and OTA tuner comparisons with a Zenith HDTV. Not much on the actual functions/available features etc. of the unit. Funny thing is that the Pro's/Con/s section appear to contradict the actual user inputs here on the Forum. Oh well, Some interesting reading on other new products and cool gear anyhow. FWIW

------------------

Larry

·
Registered
351 Posts
Art,

I agree with you 100%, the past year I have spent on this forum makes SGTHT seem more and more useless. I'm not sure I am going to renew my subscription, I know more about the real issues of most of these products just by reading the user reports on the forums. The "news" is so dated compared to the internet news we get online. I think I like the ads, and sometimes the editorials. I am probably going to jump over to Widescreen Review. I keep learning a lot from that rag every time I pick it up and the local bookstore.

------------------

All the best,

Ricardo
Sony KP-xxHS10 Zone

·
Banned
536 Posts
The problem with SGHT is that Tom Norton is now busy editing the magazine instead of reviewing equipment. They are doomed without him. That journalist from the New York Times -Joel Brinkley- does't know **** . I wont renew my subscription. GF.

·
Registered
809 Posts

The next issue of The Perfect Vision (out next week)contains my shootout review of four of the latest set top boxes (Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba and Mitsubishi). I list both the good points and "issues" that I encountered with each of these units. Some of the issues have been mentioned on this forum, others have not. I believe that anyone shopping for a HD set top box will find the information useful.

[This message has been edited by Gary Merson (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Widescreen Review baby! It blows the other rags out of the water. Not dumbed down and not a shill for the manufacturers.

[This message has been edited by Hacky (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hacky:
Widescreen Review baby! Not dumbed down and not a shill for the manufacturers.
You are kidding, right? You apparently did not make the connection between the anti Dolby Digital rants and the multiple page adds for DTS this rag used to have. It has been several years since I have read this mag.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.