AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. now... with my vga cable and output option #4... high def stations look great, but all other stations show up in 4:3, even though the sony is set to 16:9.... if I set it to 4:3, those channels fill the screen, but the high def channels appear letter boxed.

If I use components, I can't get high def because my system sends component ins through its processor... high def material goes crazy... wont lock in or anything.

I'm still trying to figure all this out and, of course, sony is closed.

Any thoughts.

[This message has been edited by lhamp (edited 03-16-2001).]

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
lhamp,

Stations other than high def SHOULD show up as 4:3. That's how those stations are broadcast. The only way to fill up a 16:9 screen with an original 4:3 broadcast is through some stretch mode on the TV. Just keep in mind these will always introduce distortion in varying degrees depending upon the TV and the mode.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a bit confused now... with the rca, and the panny... the images were filling the screen. I guess I had my television set on "wide"... but for some reason I can't achieve that with the sony.

by the way ken... you're right about the high def images... I believe that might even be a bit better than the panasonic... and not one video dropout yet (and my signal is 78%... but that's not possible, right?).

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
lhamp,

hee hee hee. I guess the Sony must have some kind of magic chip in there that enables you to watch a HD program without dropouts.

I think what you had on the RCA and the Panny box, was a zoom mode, which you must have had engaged. I'm not sure if the Sony box has that or not (I don't use it so I wouldn't have looked for it). What TV is this hooked up to? Does you set have some type of zoom or stretch mode? If it does, and you have the Sony set to variable mode, you'll be able to use it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep... can't get an image that isn't high def to fill the screen. trying to wrap my head around this. so far, the only way to achieve this is to set the hd-100 to 4:3 and choose "pan and scan"... does that make any sense?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Runco plasma with their accompanying processor box... I'm having trouble using the component outs and putting the unit on variable... I think the reason for that is that anything runco takes in via component, it tries to process, which, if the signal is 1080, I guess, it can't. So right now my television options are "pass thru" with uses the vga cable, or component or S, in which case the sony needs to be on one of the 480 modes.

Does any of this make sense, or is there something wrong with my sony (don't tell me).

Also, that 4:3 "pan and scan" option I was talking about earlier is ok for the non high def stuff, but it basically "zooms" the high def stuff and obviously I don't want that.

I don't even remember what my question is.

Oh... why can't I fill my 16:9 screen (even when it's on a stretched mode) with the sony and I could with the Panny? Given the fact that I have a plasma screen, I choose to watch the non high def stuff stretched for fear of burn in... If I can't fill the screen with the sony, I'll have to bring it back. That would be a drag, because I like this unit a lot.

[This message has been edited by lhamp (edited 03-17-2001).]

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the worst time to ask questions around here? Friday night while leno is on in hd.

Anyway... here's my solution:

component or S on one of the 480i outputs, set to 4:3, pan and scan.

vga for all 1080 stuff, sony set properly to 16:9

This is a drag because I have to change outputs to go from sdtv to hdtv... didn't have to with the panasonic. Unless of course I'm just totally missing something... which could very well be what's happening.

I'm beat... more tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.