AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Sony is shipping the HD-100 to stores again.

I have the option of returning my early production unit for a new one. I do not want to have it replaced with a unit that just have the software patches. I would like to know if Sony has made any real changes to the internal hardware. What have they fixed and redesigned? Is the fan quiet?

My current unit has the three software patches in place. They have fixed some of the problems, but it is far from right. I am hoping some one will tell me that the newer units are OK.

------------------

Ginz

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just got our HD-100 yesterday. When I plugged it in, I wondered what all the fuss was about the fan noise. I could barely hear it from about 1.5 feet away with the back facing me. So far, it seems to take about 1 second to change channels. I have heard of older models taking four to five. The build date on the unit was June, 2001. As to what else may have changed, I haven't a clue. We are just getting into HDTV.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Are the prices ever going to come down on this unit. I've yet to see it under $799. I'd buy it in a heartbeat at $600 and maybe go as high as $700, but I'm not going to pay $800 for it. Heck, you can probably still get the RCA unit around $500.

Rob

·
Registered
102 Posts
I found an 'open' box for $639. Everything was included so it seemed like a good deal. I suspect it is an 'early' build but since I keep my gear in a closet connected to my home theater room I don't care about fan noise.

However, I would like to insure that I have whatever patches have been released through DirecTV. Is there a way to tell if you've got the 3 upgrades mentioned above?

dave

------------------

dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nobody has stepped up to the plate yet with an answer for this thread, what exactly was fixed with the re-released version of Sony's HD-100?

I'd like to know as well in case I want to return it.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

-Stach

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
OK, I'll be the third (I think) guy to ask the same question in this thread: so what *is* different? It seems to me that *maybe* a new fan is all, but if that's the case, it still can't be any quieter than mine (fan removed)!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow. The thought of removing the fan occured to me also. But wouldn't it cause heating problem unless you leave the cover open? How are you dealing with potential overheating problem with your fan removed?

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Not to divert this thread, check the thread by "spiffstar" (or search my other posts) for more fan info. The bottom line:

1) I've been running "fan free" 24/7 for almost 3 months with no problems.

2) The fan was basically "blowing on the cover", and it's no warmer now than when it was before.

3) Caveat: my HD-100 sits on top of my HDTV (not enclosed in a cabinet) and I drilled some ventilation holes in the top cover for good measure.

Best thing I ever did...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok, I've read the past threads regarding SAT-HD100 fan noise. Thanks, Stanton and others who contributed to the past threads.

BTW, what is Lip-sync problem? One of my OTA only has picture and no sound. Is that it?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

No. Lipsync problems make the show look as if it were one of those dubbed Asian movies. The movement of the lips and the sound is slightly off. Quite annoying. Sony used some sort of syncing signal that was not a part of every station's output. A combination of at least one download and a change in the encoding of some stations has fixed the problem, I believe.

By the way, I have an early model and have never had a fan problem. It is very quiet. Maybe the fan has always been broken. Art

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Sony HD-100 is selling in our area for a discounted $699. I got mine from Chip Player at Queen City TV (704)391-6000, ext 221. Its a reliable dealer that has been in business for a long time. Hope sony doesn't get to upset about the discount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 5 month old HD100. Fan noise OK, but slow channel response and spotty OTA is.

How do I check to see if it downloaded the latest SW (and what is the latest SW?)

Thanks,

Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.