AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sony on the way from the sony store. I got it for $600. I can sell it on ebay for more than that if it is as bad as people say. the main thing is I see people complaining is some way about all models. Like I don't even consider the dtc-100 becaue it doesn't have component out and I have heard thar there are some compatibily problems between sets. is anyone completely happy with their purchase?????

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in the same situation as yourself. All I keep hearing are complaints about each box. The Sony is the one I am planning on buying, but is it going to get the job done. Please let me know any opinion on this matter. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this would be a good place to start a +/- chart for each type of reciever.

here is what I see so far. any input on things I have missed or have wrong would be apreciate it.

sony hd-100
pros[*]picture[*]inputs/outputs[*]can do 480i or 1080i from componet out

cons[*]fan noise[*]channel dropouts[*]tunning local hdtv broadcasts

toshiba dst-3000,mitsubishi sr-hd400,hughes hird-e86

• pros
  • no fan
  • not as many complaits

cons
  • can not display 480i out of the component output
  • channel creep

panasonic tu-hdsd20
    pros(don't know yet)
    cons
  • slow proccessing

[This message has been edited by hognutz (edited 05-31-2001).]

·
Banned
946 Posts
I have tried the Toshiba and the Panasonic. I have not seen the Sony. I own two RCA DTC 100s. After the upgrades, The RCA box is still the best. With God's grace I have had no dropouts, audio or video with the RCA. The Toshiba's picture is a little dark. The Panasonic fan noise is not acceptable to me although the picture quality is. There are other problems with it as people have discussed in this forum before.

Therefore, all said and done, the second generation STBs are not an improvement. The DTC 100 is still the king of the hill in my book. I am looking forward to the second generation RCA product which I hope will be even better.

------------------

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
I have both the RCA and Sony. In spite of Sony's well

documented problems, I prefer it for;

RF/IR remote

Variable COMPONENT output

seamless cable/DSS switching

front panel display

output format remote switchable

HDTV is so new that some problems/compromises are

inevitable- but the boxes are out there and well worth it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, there are some of use who are happy with our HDTV set-top box … albeit after having bought into the hype about each new, glitzy though unmistakably pre-mature device that has been dumped on the market since the first of the year. I am an un-apologetic fan of my trusty old DTC-100. I have tried the new Panny and Sony units, and have been sorely disappointed by some major aspects of their performance.

Make no doubt about it, the DTC-100 has drawbacks of its own, but the price/performance ratio is absolutely un-matched. With the DirecTV rebate, the darned thing only hit me up for $250. I get a superb picture (on HDTV material as good as its most pubescent partners). Yeah, I don’t have an integrated program guide or a cute, slim case that matches the look of my other A/V components. But, then again it ain’t noisy; it has enough inputs to handle all of my major HDTV viewing sources … OTA, cable and DirecTV without resorting to external switching; I don’t get any dropout and lip-sync gremlins. Until something much better comes along (hopefully, the new Zenith), you won’t be able to remove my RCA even from my “cold, dead handsâ€!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, there are some of use who are happy with our HDTV set-top box … albeit after having bought into the hype about each new, glitzy though unmistakably pre-mature device that has been dumped on the market since the first of the year. I am an un-apologetic fan of my trusty old DTC-100. I have tried the new Panny and Sony units, and have been sorely disappointed by some major aspects of their performance.

Make no doubt about it, the DTC-100 has drawbacks of its own, but the price/performance ratio is absolutely un-matched. With the DirecTV rebate, the darned thing only hit me up for $250. I get a superb picture (on HDTV material as good as its most pubescent partners). Yeah, I don’t have an integrated program guide or a cute, slim case that matches the look of my other A/V components. But, then again it ain’t noisy; it has enough inputs to handle all of my major HDTV viewing sources … OTA, cable and DirecTV without resorting to external switching; I don’t get any dropout and lip-sync gremlins. Until something much better comes along (hopefully, the new Zenith), you won’t be able to remove my RCA even from my “cold, dead handsâ€!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was told by a guy at good guys that an vga to component cable to connect to my tv (kp-53hs10) would leave the picture off center. is this true? who is running the dtc-100 to component inputs without trouble???? is he full of **** ? that is why I bought the sony mainly four its greater variety of outputs. (well other than looks)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It will not do both. you can download the manuals and it will tell you that you either get 1080i ONLY from the component or 480I from the s-video or composite. as for the panasonic I cannot find the manual online as there website seems to suck like sony's. see I am not sure how my tv would hand 1080i in 4:3. I think I would have to do some swithing everytime I went from an hd signal to nomal one. that would suck. that makes the sony bug's and all better to me. I am the kind of person who wants it simple. my reciever to do the switching one remote for everthing.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
The Tosh/Mits/Hughes is a next generation box over the DTC-100, the latter being "tuned" with multiple software updates. Like revisionist history, the good old days of DTC-100 were not as fond as some of the memories.

Are the new boxes a big enough jump in functionality to switch from a DTC-100? That's a close judgement call. Does it make sense to buy old technology new. Definitely not in my opinion. Beyond feature battles and direct connectivity to your set, it comes down to what is the easiest and/or most flexible to use. Here the Tosh and some other units clearly excel.

Tim

·
Registered
246 Posts
do we know for sure the Hughes clones have no component 480i????? that sucks!

do we know for sure the Panny DOES have 480i component

do any of them have a serial input like the tivo uses?????

Do any have coaxial digital out???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.