AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is any one else experiencing signal drop outs using the HD-100 while watching WHYY channel 12.3 This happens only in the evening when they are broadcasting in 1080i. It seems to come every couple of minutes. I live in Elkins Park, PA with a proper roof antenna only 12 miles from the tower with nothing in the way. The other stations are all strong with no problem.

The drop outs do not come as fast as the multicast problem that Sony patched a few weeks ago. I am wondering if this is a return of the same problem in a lesser way.

------------------

Ginz

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a Sony 34HD1 (integral decoder) and live in Yardley.

Last night WHYY 12.3 was rock solid HD on my antenna. UPN is up on 38.1 and even 7.1 WABC from NYC was watchable.

WHYY on 12.1 and WCAU mapped to 10 were not working and have not been viewable for 2 to 3 weeks. The native Channel 55 for WHYY also does not have the WHYY SD channel. WCAU 67 is fine but the PSIP does not map it to 10 on my set anymore.

Anyone have the same experience or is it me?

Regards

Keith

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ginz,

Are you on Directv and able to get the software updates or are you just OTA?

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Sony HD-100 is hooked up to Directv and has all of the patches. When the patches first came out it fixed the muticast locking problem. My local PBS station WHYY has been tinkering with their broadcast signal. I think they have induced another multicast problem into their signal. I have a hunch the HD-100 can not handle the signal and breaks up every few minutes.

Any body else in the Philly area with an HD-100 have any comments about WHYY reception?

------------------

Ginz

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the SAT-HD100 and I live in Wrightstown PA, about 21 miles from Roxboro. I receive the WHYY signal at 80-82 and the lock is steady according to the signal strength screen. However, I get dropouts (signal loss) every minute or so while watching 12.3.

RSL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just as I suspected, the HD-100 has another problem. Well I called Sony today and the tech put me over to a service tech. He said that the multicast drop out was fixed, but he agreed to contact the engineering department and give him the news.

Is any body from WHYY reading this group? Could it be something that has been induced into your signal that is causing the problem? It just started a week or so ago and you guys keep making broadcasting changes.

------------------

Ginz

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have alerted Bill Weber to this thread. He works at WHYY and has checked in with the HDTV Programming forum quite frequently.

The drop out problem seems to happen almost rhythmically and it didn't happen a few weeks ago. I agree with Ginz that it would seem to be an incompatibility between WHYY's signal and our SAT-HD100 box. Something must have changed.

RSL

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry to hear you guys are having drop out problems in the Eastcoast, but this sounds like problems coming from the broadcast towers not the SATHD100 box. Cause I live in CA.and have no problems with my Sony sathd100. Lets stop blaming Sony sathd100. This is a very good unit.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
168 Posts
FYI

I got this information from WHYY a few days ago:

"We're bumping the WHYY-DT, HDTV transmission rate from 13.6mbs. back up to 14.5 mbs. since we're not presently broadcasting the additional simulcast SD channel. In the near future, we'll be testing mode switching controlled by master control to transition between SD and HD at specific

times of the day. This is the proposed service model to enable a diverse 4-channel multicast SD service and accommodate high definition programming during prime time."

My HiPix is working fine with the change in data rate. In fact the HD picure looks slightly better. The one thing I have noticed, since they started multicasting, is artifacts with motion (when a scene pans and there is a lot changing with the picture at once). I guess that this is one of the tradeoffs with multicasting and sharing the bandwidth.

NBC WCAU-DT has not been mapped to 10 for some time. It comes in fine on 67 though.

-Bill-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.