Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

I am trying to find out if any of the new hd2+ chips were used in rptv's at cedia, if so who? And when will they start to come out to the consumers? Also wondering if the PQ will be as improved as the front projectors that are using them?

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is a big question. My understanding is that the one of the biggest improvements in the new HD2+ chip is yield. This means that even tho the chip is better than the HD2 chip it is cheaper. The only price difference I have seen quoted was a 10 to 1 reduction in price. The chip is compatible with the HD2 DMD drive ASIC, this means that even though the new colour wheel might not show up until next years model the new DMD might find its way into the current models.

One thing to remember HD2+ is both a new chip and a new colour wheel (7 segments 2 Red, 2 blue and three green segments, 2 light green and one dark green) and of course a new drive chip to control the DMD. The dark green segment is there to reduce the amount of dithering necessary to reproduce dark portions of the picture.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I would dismiss those silly claims about mammoth yield increases and/or mammoth price cuts. Maybe yields are up nicely, but nothing like some hype found here (that Roger correctly re-reported).

The improvements from HD2+, however, are real. And I'd imagine eventually, HD2 will be gone. The 12-degree mirror has essentially been put in all the DMDs by now (I think) and the "dimple fixed" DMD will also eventually cover the whole line.

No one has announced an HD2+ RPTV, and, IIRC, there are only three current DLP RPTV manufacturers: Samsung, RCA and Optoma.

Given that RCA just came to market and Optoma is still pushing HD2 in its projectors, the one most likely to make the jump is Samsung. While they didn't indicate anything, I am speculating here that the "deluxe" models, the 46 and 56-inch ones that are only in higher-end stores, will need more differentiation beyond cosmetics going forward.

One way to do that would be to give them a new light engine with the new DMD and the new color wheel (the latter is apparently only usable with the upgraded HD2+ chipset, but the old wheel can also be used it appears).

I would look for a possible announcement at CES or thereabouts, but I can't imagine a product being out inside of 6 months.

Mark

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
What's this 7-segment color wheel about? What happened to that "archimedes spiral" color wheel that was prototyped awhile ago and was supposed to drastically increase light output?

Peak light output is the one thing that held me back from buying a 507, which has the dimmest image of the bunch.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Doug, so far the SCR (aka Archimedes) color wheel is not even apparently being targeted at home theater. In fact, it might wind up in the presentation line where light output is kind.

There is speculation that the problems it creates in image quality outweigh the benefits in home-theater-class machines.

The 7-segment wheel adds either a new dark green or a neutral-density (depending on whose story was correct and / or perhaps it can be one or the other with the software configurable) to minimize dither in dark areas and possible as part of the overall contrast-ratio improvement.

I agree the 507 is not as pleasingly bright as the 437, but I have an easy fix: 10 more watts on the bulb. :)

Mark

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo

...I agree the 507 is not as pleasingly bright as the 437, but I have an easy fix: 10 more watts on the bulb. :)

Mark [/b]
Rogo.... this a DIY thing you're proposing?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
No, I am sending subliminal messages to Steve Panosian of Samsung. I don't know if one could get a compatible lamp with more wattage. Sounds like a bad idea for warranty anyway.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Ahh... so "they" read the forums for feedback?

"From what I understand" the power connections for the lamp "cages" are identical on the 120w and 100w lamps... and all the models have the fan jumpers for the 120w's extra fan. Service menu lets you select lamp type on all models...

So all we need is to confirm this somehow... who here has service manuals?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yeah, that would be cool to know. Maybe someone who actually owns one of these and might care could call Samsung in NJ and find out.

Mark

PS -- I don't know if Steve ever reads here or not, but I'm sure there are people from Samsung USA that do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.