AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I JUST HAD MY UNIT GET A WHOLE NEW IMAGE BOARD, BACK IN MARCH, AND THE LATIN OPERATOR IS GIVING ME SNOB HELL, "OH WE RAN IT 24 HRS WITH A QUALITY ASSURANCE CHECK...WHY SHOULD WE LOOK AT IT FOR FREE" EVEN THOUGH I PAID EM 400USD!!!

THAT ABOUT SIZES UP THEIR SHODDY ATTITUDE..NOT TO MENTION THEIR DIMWIT SECRETARY VOICE OVERS...SHE TALKS LIKE A 2 YEAR OLD BARBIE!

THE POINT IS, I NOTICED THAT I CAN'T HAVE HDMI 1 AND 2 SOURCES PLUGGED IN AT THE SAME TIME, OR AT LEAST GET THE SECOND ONE PLUGGED IN TO PRODUCE A NORMAL IMAGE-I GET FLASHING SNOW, MOSAICS, STROBE IMAGES...I SHOULD TAKE SOME METH AND HAVE AN ALL NIGHT RAVE, BUT THIS SUCKS!

AT FIRST, I THOUGHT SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH MY DVD PLAYER, AND I TRIED 2 OTHERS, NOT REALIZING THAT IF I HAD ONLY ONE DEVICE PLUGGED IN, EVERYTIHNG WAS FINE! MY 2ND SOURCE WAS APPLE TV 2, WHICH IS 720P, AND IF I TURNED THAT ON FIRST, IT WAS FINE, BUT AS SOON AS I PLUGGED IN A DVD PLAYER/BLUE RAY OR NOT, AS WELL AS TWO OTHER DVD PLAYERS, THE LATTER DEVICE WOULD BE THE SAME FLASHING SNOW, DARKNESS, MOSAIC OR STROBING PURPLE OR RED IMAGES!

ONE PARTICULAR DEVICE I BOUGHT WAS A FUNAI BLU RAY PLAYER, WHICH KEPT ME UP ALL NIGHT TRYING TO FIGURE WHY IT WOULD PLAY NICE FROM ITS OWN SCREEN, AND THEN BOTH ITS OWN SCREEN AND OPTIMA DID THE FLASHING CRAP AGAIN....AS IF THE CHEAP PORTABLE PLAYER WAS TELLING ME IT COULDN'T SEND THE SIGNAL AND AUTOMATICALLY SWITCH OFF ITS OWN SCREEN. IT ALSO DID NOT SHOW ME THE FLASHING INDICATOR LIGHTS THAT WOULD SUGGEST A COPYRIGHT PROTECTION INCOMPATIBLITY (MILLENIUM CHIP?).

TODAY, I GOT A 3 WAY HDMI SPLITTER, WHICH I DIDN'T HAVE MUCH FAITH WOULD SOLVE THINGS...IT DIDN'T FOOL THE OPTOMA INTO BEHAVING RIGHT EVEN WITH ONLY ONE PLUG INTO HDMI 1....AS SOON AS A SECOND DEVICE WAS PLUGGED AND SWITCHED ON....ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE.

OPTOMA IS AS SPECULATIVE ON THE CAUSE AS A 4TH GRADER IN SCIENCE ELECTRONICS CLASS, MENTIONING CROSSTALK BETWEEN THE CONNECTORS, OF OF 'TIGHTENING THINGS DOWN'..YEAH, RIGHT, BUT BEFORE I SEND IT IN TO THEM AT MY PERIL...HAS ANYONE EVER HAD A SCENARIO LIKE THIS? I COULD KEEP IT AND JUST HAVE ONLY ONE INPUT, BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT, IS IT? OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING THEY DID W. NEW BOARD AFFECTED ITS SOURCE DISCRETION-IT CONTINUALLY READS 'NO SIGNAL" ON A 2ND HDMI, BUT IF I PULL OUT THE FIRST WORKING SIGNAL FROM HDMI 1, ALL OF A SUDDEN-MIRACLES!

I KNOW DAMN WELL OPTOMA ISN'T GOING TO STAND BEHIND THE BOARD THEY REPLACED LAST MAR., BUT SHOULD I BOTHER WITH THEM WITH THEIR LOW BALL ATTITUDE? STARTING TO SEEM LIEK THEIR ACTUAL TECHS-WHO AREN'T ON THE PHONE AT ALL-PROBABLY ARE DISGRUNTLED, AND GOD KNOWS ABOUT THE NORTH KOREAN TYPE CHAIN OF COMMAND WITH THIS COMPANY. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY NAMES TO WRITE TO, ANYONE WHO ISN'T KIM DMHI JONG IN SOME GREASY CALIFORNIA GARAGE?

OR PERHAPS I SHOULD SELL IT? IT'S GOT 2,800 LAMP HOURS, BRAND NEW BOARD, 2009

DESPERATELY SEEKING 2HDMI-JOHN IN NATICK MA

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
never deal with CS angry.

never post on the internet in all caps, haha.

trying to understand what you're saying, as it's kind of confusing how you wrote it. I get that there's an issue when both hdmi inputs are being used, but want to clarify:

-are you sending a signal to both inputs at the same time(ie. dvd on plugged into hdmi1, and appletv on plugged into hdmi2), or

-does merely having a cable plugged in screw things up(ie. dvd on plugged into hdmi1, and appletv off plugged into hdmi2)

I don't think either way is 'functioning', but at least if you can turn off the second source to fix the issue you can avoid dealing with them again.

the other make-shift solution would be an hdmi switcher(not splitter), preferably one with a remote control or automatic switching to make life easy.

example: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=8462&seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so no caps at all...I'm too tired!

Unfortunately, I bought a $8 switcher off of Amazon and the darn Oopcoma projector was still too "smart" to let both sources run. The only way to clear the first source in is to physically unplug the second one, turn the unit off and on, so what I basically have is a unit that can't separate HDMI 1 from 2 as it did before the motherboard was changed. It doesn't matter if the 2nd source is apple tv (720) or another dvd/blue player (have 2)..this unit is acting quite smart for one so stupid.

The only question is whether to send back to Optoma, who I get very mixed signals about their responsiblity, aka they'll charge me through the roof! Web chattter indicates they suck, or at least sub par in c.service....so, if I sell this on ebay while it still works (I'd have to be honest about detraction in functions of HDMI switching), what brands under 1K are equally good at picture quality (NO pico)? Reliability and at least avg. customer support? Any ideas?

Thanks for replying at all in this big world...apologies for not being able to describe conditions more succinctly!

John-Natick, MA

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
what I was thinking with the switcher was to treat the projector like it only had one hdmi input. a quality switcher should act just like a receiver. there would be a 'handshake' between switcher and projector. the projector wouldn't even directly 'see' the source. kind of like a display hooked up to a cable box doesn't know what channel its on, nor does it care. sounds like you got an unpowered 'splicer' that allowed the projector to see both sources at the same time. something that wouldn't have worked even with a functioning projector.

not all hdmi splitters/switches are created equal. if I were in your shoes i'd give a good powered switcher a try before dealing with CS again. it might not be perfect, but it could work.

as for replacement options, i'm not at all familiar with the performance of your projector, but the benq 1070 has been getting a ton of attention at the 999 price point. i'd start my search there, i'm sure most threads would have mention of its immediate competition as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, it is powered, and I'm sure that the quality is adequate to disprove the external sources as culprits. Frankly, I see way too much chatter about how buying different cords would help, and I call this the Emperor's New Cords effect....if it works for someone to spend $100 on a nearly identical-signal wise, not golden dipped butter battered plug ends-that's great! For my money, and the amount of time I've been playing with cords which work fine in other applications, it is definitely questionable Optoma marginal customer service, and probably considerable return/repair backlog, that they are being stooges about backing up their work...and given they offer only 90 days on repair warantee, I think I know why!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggeroff69  /t/1485125/hd-20-wont-allow-2-hdmi-devices#post_23617652

No, it is powered, and I'm sure that the quality is adequate to disprove the external sources as culprits. Frankly, I see way too much chatter about how buying different cords would help, and I call this the Emperor's New Cords effect....if it works for someone to spend $100 on a nearly identical-signal wise, not golden dipped butter battered plug ends-that's great! For my money, and the amount of time I've been playing with cords which work fine in other applications, it is definitely questionable Optoma marginal customer service, and probably considerable return/repair backlog, that they are being stooges about backing up their work...and given they offer only 90 days on repair warantee, I think I know why!

you could be right, and it's really frustrating i'll agree. but it took me 3 difference HDMI switchers before I found one that worked for all my displays(I have a plasma/projector in the theatre room, and a small lcd in the bathroom all hooked up to my receivers output). HDMI is just really, really finicky.

maybe you'd be happier with an upgrade anyway. by the number of hours on the unit, i'm guessing you've had it for a while anyway

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it possible that the projector is flipping out over use of both 720p Apple tv and 1040i dvd blu? It worked before they changed the motherboard, and it seems to be showing a display stating the p resolution, but still, it is absolutely wacky that soon as the 2nd source is plugged in, it goes kaput!

Does anyone know about using a HDMI calbe with pin 13 removed? I've heard this averts copyright blockage of the signal, as my screen flashes and has static/snow/all wrong colours!?

HaaallllP!!

·
Registered
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggeroff69  /t/1485125/hd-20-wont-allow-2-hdmi-devices#post_23698802

1040i dvd blu?
Well there's your problem. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.