AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HD-300 died today...no power at all. Behaves as if it's unplugged. Everything else on the surge-protector works, that's not the problem.

It's acting- if that's the right word :) like it's unplugged.

This is the second one I've had, the first was replaced in late December for the audio drops. I bought the thing online during the CC $569 sale and I've decided I've had it with Sony and their tuners. I'd like to get rid of this boat anchor once and for all.

So I figure that I will return to CC for credit and get a different system in exchange. I need an STB with toslink for DD audio and component for HDTV. Obviously DirecTV.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by colossus
My HD-300 died today...no power at all. Behaves as if it's unplugged. Everything else on the surge-protector works, that's not the problem.

It's acting- if that's the right word :) like it's unplugged.

This is the second one I've had, the first was replaced in late December for the audio drops. I bought the thing online during the CC $569 sale and I've decided I've had it with Sony and their tuners. I'd like to get rid of this boat anchor once and for all.

So I figure that I will return to CC for credit and get a different system in exchange. I need an STB with toslink for DD audio and component for HDTV. Obviously DirecTV.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!!!
Looks like your options are the Hughes HTL-HD or the Samsung 160. Surely you want DVI w/ HDCP, yes?

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Well, it's an LG, not a 'Sony'. The Hughes is the *same* box (same guts). I'd wonder more why you are blowing STBs, and not about 'faulty Sony's. I've never heard about power issues with these, and I've read the HD300 thread from the beginning (and own one that's never had a problem).

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had one HD300 that would show "WAIT" on the flourescent display after you applied power, then it would shutdown by itself. Pushing the power button did nothing once it shutdown.

I tried to disconnect/reconnect the power cord several times for about 30 minutes then all of a sudden I got the red standby icon. After that the box turned ON OK with the power switch. Subsequent disconnects of the power did not show the problem return.

that box actually worked just fine for a week, but I had CC replace it anyway, just in case.

Now in your case, if the box will not power ON at all, even when you first connect the power cord, I's suspect the inboard power supply. If you dare open it up, there will be an onboard fuse or fusible link you can check to see if it blew.

If not, do you hear any relays clicking, or get anything on the flourescent screen when you first apply power to the unit?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Never assume that changing a blown fuse will bring electronics to life. 99.9% of the time, a fuse will blow because of something inside the power supply.

Have you tried to unplug the unit for about 20 minutes and then plugging it back in?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help!! :)

That said, the thing is still dead after sitting all night.

Replacing a blown fuse- which is my guess- is not an option. I don't know what could have caused the fuse to fail, but anything inside that made it fail will eventually happen again, probably the day after it's out of warranty.

No relays clicking, nothing at all.

Quote:
I'd wonder more why you are blowing STBs, and not about 'faulty Sony's(sic). I've never heard about power issues with these, and I've read the HD300 thread from the beginning (and own one that's never had a problem).
I'll dig out my eighteen electrical engineering textbooks and see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. :p

Your anecdotal experience is different from mine, nothing more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.