AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the new ATI HD 3450. It was just released and looks like the ideal HTPC: 1080p, passive/silent cooling and for less than $50!

If you have been dreaming of a HTPC with a dual format HD DVD and Blu-ray drive, the ATI Radeon HD 3450 is the perfect video card for the job. It offers full offloading of video decoding and uses little power and produces little heat. This is one of the best buys you will find on a video card ideal for HTPC use.
http://www.i4u.com/full-review-368.html

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah I agree that this looks like the ideal HTPC solution for the occasional gamer. More powerful than a 2600XT but lower power consumption.

Oops. Just checked it was the 3650 I was looking at.

So as a HTPC only GPU this is ideal.

·
Registered
953 Posts
This card is only $50??? Where do you see that? EDIT: NVM, I just looked up the prices on another site. HOLY CRAP. This has got to be the perfect HTPC card.

Geez this might be absolutely perfect for me, the only games I play on my HTPC are old-school emulated games, Frets on Fire, and a few other older games which are not all that graphic intensive.

If this card is really only 50 bucks, this is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Does this card do audio bitstreaming through the HDMI interface? That is what the perfect video card needs to offer otherwise you cannot pass any hi res audio formats.

I just read the specs and this card does NOT bitstream out HD audio formats such as DTS-MA or Dolby Tru-HD. It will also not allow streaming of 24bit 96Khz pcm files either. So you can watch your blue-ray movies but hear second-class sound. Looks like we are still not quite there yet!

·
Registered
953 Posts
For this price range, I can't imagine that it does. But I guess it's possible.

I'm buying it either way whenever it comes out, hell it's only 50 bucks. Might as well give it a shot. It can't be much different than my 2600 Pro, and for a passively cooled card, this definitely seems like a great HTPC card.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yep, I'm all over this one whenever it comes out. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a release date anywhere, and no online sites seem to have it listed yet.

I'll buy this, and keep my 2600 Pro until I use this card on everything I would use it for and see how it runs. If it does everything that review says it does, I imagine it will be just fine for me.

It would be just great to find a card for 50 bucks that would do everything I need my HTPC to do. And passively cooled! It sucks that I can't find a release date on this anywhere because I will buy it the day it comes out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The release date was yesterday - still haven't found it at any online retailers.

The really cool thing about these new cards is that they can TEAM with the IGP on certain chipsets (yet to be released) for "hybrid graphics" - and it provides a nice boost for gaming without having to drop big $$ on a gaming card. The stuff I read indicated that when running in hybrid mode, the discrete graphics card would only be used when needed - and draw little to no power the rest of the time. Very cool stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just as a sidenote, the slimline 3450 will do 1080p, the full-height 3470 can upscale to 1440p. Just thought it was worth noting.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yeah I noticed on those reviews that it states the cards were "released," but I sure don't see them anywhere. I've searched a ton of sites, and none even have it listed. At all. Odd considering things like this at least usually have a date on sites of when you'd be able to order it. I'm definitely keeping my eye out.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I bought a HD2400PRo when it first came out. Haven't used it much for video decoding recently: it's not in the HTPC.

Based upon this preliminary overview (link below), the HD3450 looks like a refreshed HD2400PRO. Bit faster clock. HD3450 low-profile design looks good for a low profile HTPC, not useful if you want two "digital" montors/displays.

But how does the HD3450 stack up against the upcoming 780G chipset, especially if you have older an older socket939 system you want to upgrade?

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/652/1/

·
Registered
209 Posts
I thought the rumor was that these cards would be available now Monday, instead of the 23rd.

How does the 3450 compare to the new 780G motherboards? I think they have essentially the same graphics power. But the secret feature is if you couple a 3450 to a 780G motherboard, they will share the 3D processing load -- Hybrid Crossfire. So they make a nice bundle for low-profile cases.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/612/1/

So if you get a 3450 now and you want faster graphics in the future, put one of these motherboards on your shopping list. $50 now for the 3450, and then another $80 for the motherboard sometime in the next few months.

Oops, if you have a socket 939 system, then you won't be able to do this. But you know those AMD cpus start at 60 bucks. You won't need a fast one with these video boards/IGPs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very nice looking.

I'm gonna try this to replace 8600GT in my HTPC.

Just one question, I'm wondering why all models that I found from different websites are with DDR2 memories.

Why not (G)DDR3 or doesn't it just give any benefit with this GPU speed?

Or this just the reason for (very) low price and later coming (faster) DDR3 models will be somewhat pricier?

Regards

Janus

·
Registered
953 Posts
One of those sites said that once the other companies get their hands on the spec (sapphire, etc,) you could expect to see versions with ddr3 memory. So I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

I'd just like to see them for sale period lol. I almost always wait to read end user reviews on sites like this for a new product, but for 50 bucks, I don't even care. It's a blind buy.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof /forum/post/12919157

I bought a HD2400PRo when it first came out. Haven't used it much for video decoding recently: it's not in the HTPC.

Based upon this preliminary overview (link below), the HD3450 looks like a refreshed HD2400PRO. Bit faster clock.

That's exactly what it is...

Old model-->New Model

HD2400Pro-->HD3450

HD2600Pro-->HD3650

HD2600XT-->HD3670

Etc.

Not really a huge deal that it's $50 but since it is updated from the HD2400 with a little less power required and DX10.1 and Hybrid Crossfire support no doubt, it's a better choice over the 2400 if you can find it. The DX10.1 is meaningless becuase this card probably won't even run most modern DX9.0c games at playable framerates, nevermind any DX10 or 10.1 stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof /forum/post/12919157

But how does the HD3450 stack up against the upcoming 780G chipset, especially if you have older an older socket939 system you want to upgrade?

Hmm I'm not really sure about that but even if the 780G's integrated GPU runs at a similar clock as the HD3450, the RAM performance is usually quite a bit below the dedicated cards which have RAM on them already. This is because usually on-board chipsets share motherboard/system RAM so the speed suffers going back and forth to the GPU. Still, the fact that the 3450 still isn't going to play any games anyway means it doesn't really matter except for the on-board stealing system RAM from you, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBlueMach1 /forum/post/12918852

The really cool thing about these new cards is that they can TEAM with the IGP on certain chipsets (yet to be released) for "hybrid graphics" - and it provides a nice boost for gaming without having to drop big $$ on a gaming card. The stuff I read indicated that when running in hybrid mode, the discrete graphics card would only be used when needed - and draw little to no power the rest of the time. Very cool stuff.

Uhh yeah but two 3400-series GPUs teamed together (one using system ram) is not exactly going to be fast though. One 3670 is probably faster, LOL.

Hybrid Crossfire or Hybrid SLi might enable some people to just run some games at lower res and lower settings, but it's definitely not going to be a replacement for "dropping big $$ on a gaming card". I mean you could probably have three HD3450s running in Crossfire and it still wouldn't beat an 8800GT-512 I don't think.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
And

HD 2400 XT --> HD 3470.

For those who are worrying about the video playback performance of HD 3400 series as it's the successor to HD 2400,

Quote:
また、Universal Video Decoder(UVD)に関しても改良が加えられた。従来のRadeon HD 2400 PROなどでは高解像度のコンテンツになるとビデオメモリ帯域幅が不足しがちであったという。しかし、Radeon HD 3600/3400シリーズのUVDは改良されており、DDR2版のRadeon HD 3450のようなバリュービデオカードでも、より安定したHD解像度コンテンツの再生が行なえるようになっている。 PC Watch

Translation:

In addition, Universal Video Decoder (UVD) has been improved. When playing back a high-resolution video content with a low-end card like Radeon HD 2400 Pro, memory bandwidth was not enough. However the UVD of the Radeon HD 3600/3400 series has been improved so that even a value card like Radeon HD 3450 DDR2 will be able to play HD high-resolution contents stably.

If you want better post-processing, then you'd better choose HD 3470.

Quote:
ATI Radeon HD 3470 graphics chip can also achieve proper scores in HQV HD test thanks to its high clock-speed, which means that its Blu-ray disc or HD DVD playback quality is similar to much more expensive graphics cards. X-bit labs

1 - 20 of 348 Posts